This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

When Bias in Product Design Means Life or Death

I've just read this fantastic post on the importance of considering diversity in product design and wanted to share it here:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/when-bias-product-design-means-life-death-carol-reiley

I won't copy everything over, but here are just a couple of the points made that I found particularly concerning:

"In the 1960s, the vehicular test crash protocol called for testing with dummies modeled after the average male with its height, weight, and stature falling in the 50th percentile. This meant seatbelts were designed to be safe for men and, for years, we sold cars that were largely unsafe for women, especially pregnant women. Consequently, female drivers are 47% more likely to be seriously injured in a car crash."

"Microsoft’s vision system was reported to fail to recognize darker skinned people. Today, one of the most prominent applications of computer vision is self-driving cars, which rely on these systems to recognize and make sense of the world around them. If these systems don’t recognize people of every race as human, there will be serious safety implications."

"White men viewing a crowd with 17% women perceived it to be 50–50, and when it was 33% women, they perceived it to be majority women. A simple overestimation like this illustrates how difficult it can be to see the world from another’s perspective."
  • Amber, re. "Another area of bias in design can be seen in infrastructure and projects such as the Crossrail development"...

Being able to flag potential issues in a design or project takes courage - in a workplace culture of fear (job, promotion, annual pay increase/bonus, potential ridicule by peers), most people don't need/want the hassle.

Fortunately for me, my workplace invited ideas and scrutiny of potential designs and implimentations - brain storming exercises leading to risk analysis and risk management.

• Abimbola Akanwo-Hood:

Being able to flag potential issues in a design or project takes courage - in a workplace culture of fear (job, promotion, annual pay increase/bonus, potential ridicule by peers), most people don't need/want the hassle.

This is a really good point. Managers need to take this into account and try to create an environment where everyone's voice can be heard and in which staff are called on to question things along the way. Scrutiny should always be invited to make sure that whatever you are working on is the best version that it can be, and company culture is certainly a big part of making this happen.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Dear All ,

I absolutely agree with the problems with the seat belts which usually tries to chock me . I personally think that there are also problems to put the seat with a comfortable distance of the to the steering wheel .

To see over the steering I need to put up the seat and push it more towards the front and then I am too close to the steering wheel . So each time is the problem which position is less uncomfortable not which one is COMFORTABLE .

Grazyna
    Appropriately designed coveralls are available for women.  Check out:

covergallsworkwear.com/.../

These were developed by a small business in Canada.

Hope this helps.

Edwin Morton

• Great that the overalls exist, but are they a little on the expensive side? I don't wear overalls for my job, so have no experience buying them, but at a range of $99 - $245, they seem a little expensive, compared to the £30 offerings that google spits out on the first result for a search for "overall". Is this due to the quality of the product, or is it a lady-tax?
  • On a slightly different, but related note, I also wanted to draw attention to another product that has been designed "especially for women". Some of you may already have seen this, but for those who haven't, please take a look at the special "For Her" range that pen manufacturers, Bic, came out with. The Q&A and the product reviews on Amazon make me laugh every time: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Pens-Pencils-Writing-Supplies/BiC-Her-Medium-Ballpoint-Black-Box-12/B004FTGJUW.

Obviously, it doesn't quite fall under the "life or death" part of the heading of this post, but it certainly falls under the "bias in product design" part. Does anyone else have any examples of everyday, unisex items that get a special pink make-over before being labelled as "especially for women"?
  • "Lady Tax" 

Is that the amount they add on top of the production costs for using pink coloured dye for whatever item it happens to be? wink

Amber Thomas:

On a slightly different, but related note, I also wanted to draw attention to another product that has been designed "especially for women". Some of you may already have seen this, but for those who haven't, please take a look at the special "For Her" range that pen manufacturers, Bic, came out with. The Q&A and the product reviews on Amazon make me laugh every time: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Pens-Pencils-Writing-Supplies/BiC-Her-Medium-Ballpoint-Black-Box-12/B004FTGJUW.

Obviously, it doesn't quite fall under the "life or death" part of the heading of this post, but it certainly falls under the "bias in product design" part. Does anyone else have any examples of everyday, unisex items that get a special pink make-over before being labelled as "especially for women"?

Yes -  pink Lego!  Why?  It dodn't need to be pink in the 80's

591ba76346d3dec1ca0817aa4b7daa34-huge-lego-1.1.png

Not only is it PINK but you don't even get to be creative because 'they' have already decided that you will make a princess castle out of it, which your little princess figurine will, no doubt need rescuing from at some point!

b877212f794a8324099d8526ae1c713e-huge-pink-lego.jpg

•  Does anyone else have any examples of everyday, unisex items that get a special pink make-over before being labelled as "especially for women"?

I received an email from a manufacturer of portable flash drives just before Christmas last year informing me that if i wanted to buy my girlfriend a present then one of their new pink coloured drives would be perfect for her... 

I had to reply (my facebook friends are now used to reading my #pinkstinks rants on there) to point out that their assumption that I had a girlfriend was inaccurate ("you may want to take a look at your audience targeting next time") and then I launched into a bit of a rant about why did they think the simple act of making a product pink was a surefire way of getting women to want it? I then told them that as a woman I'd prefer a black one (classy) a white one (modern) or even a gold or silver one (bit glitzy) but definitely not something pink as I'm not 3 years old and don't want to be a Barbie doll princess.

Never did get a reply...

• Oh and then there was this little gem too that I found...

5d71559995c8a8efdb7cc54cdffa7242-huge-pink-shapes-toy.jpg

So little baby girls don't need to learn about different colours and shapes as everything in their world will come in differing shades of pink...

It disappoints me that parents buy this stuff. I actively seek not to buy anything pink for my nieces...