This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Collaboration between IET & volunteers

I've raised the issue of collaboration between the IET staff and volunteers before, and the fact that IET development managers and other staff are working within the regions without keeping the local volunteers informed. They set up business and academic partnerships, promote the IET as a body, and run local events, but all without letting the local boys know what they are doing. I've just discovered that the IET are running a local registration event, less than a week away, and I learned of it from another body. Why? The IET knows what the local volunteers are doing, CRM's see to this, so why not feed information the other way too.

I like to refer to it as "mushroom syndrome", keep us in the dark and feed us... compost?
  • Ron, this isn't quite my point in this discussion - I'm lucky enough to sit on local and regional committees with some very good advisors, which is a large part of my motivation for approaching registration now.

I just want IET staff to keep local volunteers informed of local activities in our mutual interest.

• Alex - don't forget you have Mick Mehler who sits on CC-UK who is responsible for liaison with  the LNs in the eastern region - he would be happy to bring any issues to CC-UK  meetings.

Mr Shee Chew:

Hi Alex,

I suggest you bring it up to CC-UK so that CRC can look into this. TPNs organised their events independent of LNs.

Chris Chew

• Joanne, I definitely need my glasses on to read that small text! Yes, I've a couple of offers to raise it with CC-UK. There seems to be a systemwide disconnect between the IET staff "outreach" team and the IET volunteer base. We are after all striving to achieve the same things.
  • Yes - not sure what happened with the text there Alex - sorry!

Let me know if I can help with anything
  • Having spoken with the courses team, I hope that the following may help to answer some the points that Ron has raised about IET courses and events. 

The Preparing for Professional Registration (PPR) course offered by the IET is a full one day course delivered by our internal Professional Development Trainers who work collaboratively with the Registration team to ensure the course content is accurate, timely and relevant.  

Both presentations on Professional Registration to which you (Ron) refer, and the one day course Preparing for Professional Registration, offer flexible learning options that can be consumed at a time and place and at a level of detail that suits individuals.  Both learning options have a place in providing valued Professional Registration support to our current and future members.  

Our scheduled courses are advertised on the events page on the IET website and through our communities team.   

• I personally think that having these sort of discussion time & time again is ridiculous strong evidence of everybody working for themselves and not as one team.

Therefore I think that the BoT should instruct ALL IET staff and volunteers to let the officers of a community (including LN/TPN etc. etc.) know of events that they are organizing if its in the remit of one of our communities.

Being informed, does not necessarily mean involved, but can save a lot of anguish/face etc..

OK LN/TPN has improved, but the issue is wider than that, as witnessed by some of the below.

• I'm going to raise the issue with CC-UK, wish me luck and prepare to be bowled over by change...