This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Collaboration between IET & volunteers

I've raised the issue of collaboration between the IET staff and volunteers before, and the fact that IET development managers and other staff are working within the regions without keeping the local volunteers informed. They set up business and academic partnerships, promote the IET as a body, and run local events, but all without letting the local boys know what they are doing. I've just discovered that the IET are running a local registration event, less than a week away, and I learned of it from another body. Why? The IET knows what the local volunteers are doing, CRM's see to this, so why not feed information the other way too.

I like to refer to it as "mushroom syndrome", keep us in the dark and feed us... compost?
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi all

To add to what Chris said, this issue could also be discussed at the coming CVC.

It should not be too difficult to ensure that everyone is aware of events happening in their region and that is relevant to them.

Hisham
  • I did raise the issue at the CVC in Manchester last year, but once again I got the feeling the conference was intended more to tell us than to hear from us.
    Hi Alex

Ill try and see if I can get this item on the official agenda.

Hisham
  • Why does this need even to be "discussed"?  Isn't in the category of "just do it"?

Keith

• Keith, I wish they would. There seems to be a culture in the IET that considers the local volunteers to be there to amuse the local members, whilst the corporation gets on with the 'real task'. It seems to me a huge wasted opportunity. A simple email to the LN secretary would make a world of difference.
  • Amusing the local members (1) would be better than "unpaid staff", which seems to be more the direction in which things are going (have gone?).

There is a large body of work to be done in valuing members and volunteers, I would like to see the IET positioned to support engineers, members, and volunteers.  Rather too often the impression gained is the other way around: volunteers supporting the IET!  I hope that the proposed Volunteer Board will help with this, I really want it to work.

Keith

(1) amusing the local members would at least imply a living community with vibrant communications between the LN committee and members.  A colleague recently made the comparison between the 4K members in the LN area and the 154 members signed up to MyCommunity.
  • Keith, I agree that the local network has an issue engaging with local members, non-members and anyone below retirement age, this is an ongoing effort. My aim is for the IET staff and the local volunteers to be making a combined effort, rather than keeping each other in the dark.

A local registration event is a case in point, organised by HQ staff and as a member undergoing registration I would like to know about it. As local network secretary and chair, I had no idea it was happening.
  • Rob, I wasn't aware that this event wasn't open to local members, the literature doesn't suggest this. I was going to take time out of work to attend....
  • Done.
    There is Alex on the IET website under Professional Registration useful advice including an excellent video about the interview.

In addition to seeking advice from a PRA, there may well be someone you know through the LN who has recently gone through the PR process.

Ron McMurtrie