This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Introduce yourself!

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Tell everybody, who you are, what you do, who you would like to connect with and why you joined IET Professional Development, on the My Community platform - what are you hoping to get out of it?

This is a great way to learn more about others and extend your professional network.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi,

I'm hoping to get my CEng application in this year but I'm finding it a bit overwhelming. I wasn't on a structured/accredited graduate/CPD scheme (although have a masters) so am finding hard to link my work to the competencies.

Several people who recently finished the graduate scheme at my company have just achieved CEng. The reason I didn't do the graduate scheme was because it was decided I already had the necessary experience to do my job role. So I know I must have enough to complete the application.

I also can't see a way to upload files to career manager. Am I missing something, or is this function really not available?
  • Hi Louise,

Welcome to the Professional Development community.

I'm sorry that you're finding the CEng application process a little overwhelming, it can seem quite daunting when writing competence evidence. 

One job role or task can cover many of the competence areas, so don't feel that you have to allocate it to just one section - if you are using Career Manager you can relate the experience to each of the competence statements using the guidance in the system.  You can also expand in the responsibilities section of your career history.

There is not functionality to upload files to Career Manager, the IET don't require you to send all of your competence evidence directly to us but you should briefly explain this in your competence assessment.  When you are writing these statements it is a good idea to explain your personal contributions and use phrases like 'I designed...' and 'I built' to explain what was involved.

If you have examples of evidence it is useful to keep these in a portfolio of evidence that you can show to the supporters signing off your application.

Before applying it is advisable to speak to a professional registration advisor (www.theiet.org/advice).

If you have any individual questions then don't hesitate to contact me.

Kathryn Bain
    Hello Louise,

Have you got a mentor? He or she will be able to give you some good advice and get you moving again if the face of anything that's holding you up. The Registration department are always very helpful.

Good luck,

Dave.
  • Welcome to the professional development community, James. 

It is possible to gain CEng with an accredited bachelors degree but you will need to undertake some further learning to show evidence of working at a Masters level.  Professional Registration is not just about the qualifications and you will also need to show evidence that the experience that you have shows the required competences for your chosen level of registration. 

If you have read and mapped your experiences to UKSPEC with the support of your mentor then you will hopefully have a good idea of the competence areas that you have already gained and the areas you need to work on in the future.  

It is difficult to advise on the best path for your individual circumstances, but hopefully your mentor will be able to help you explore your options and decide on the best path for you.

Kathryn Bain
    Welcome to the PD community Oliver.

It sounds like you do some really interesting work.

You might find it helpful to look out for our working towards professional registration posts going up on our blog next week.

Kind regards

Caroline Shipp

Hello all

I'm Chris, formerly a Project Engineer with Siemens Rail Automation in Glasgow, but am about to commence a PhD in Communications at Bristol. I've just applied for CEng and have found the process trickier than I thought, but the registration staff at IET have been most helpful and I hope to hear back from someone soon.

I applied using the latest version of Career Manager so if anyone is having problems with it I'm more than willing to help out if I can - it could do with more documentation!

Chris

• Hi Chris,

Thank you for introducing yourself.

We are working on the guidance for Career Manager, and are planning online training to help members use the tool to its full potential.

If there are particular areas that you feel would benefit from further guidance, please let us know as we can review this as we prepare the guidance for others using the systems.

Kind Regards,

Kathryn Bain

IPD & Mentoring Service Owner

• Hi Malcolm,

Your message was very encouraging as I am in the same position as you.

Keep well.

Ibrahim Joomun

Hi

I’m an electrical building services engineer/technical services manager, I was awarded IEng earlier this year via the work based experience route.

My advice to all prospective applicants is to contact the IET and request a Mentor. You need to ensure your application clearly demonstrates how you meet the ECUK competencies for the level of registration.

If you have the responsibilities and knowledge of a professional Engineer but lack the formal qualifications don’t be put off from applying. Your responsibilities and leadership are the critical factors.

Regards

Malcolm Atkins

• Hello,

I am Mamade Ibrahim Joomun from the island of Mauritius.

I am Maintenance Manager at Elahee Electronics and Company Limited since early 2008. Be in the engineering fields for more than 20 years. I am more interested in Energy Management. I have applied for transfer of Membership TMIET to MIET so that I can be eligible for the title IEng.

Still waiting for a reply from IET.

Regards,

M I Joomun EngTech TMIET

• Working through the registration process can be challenging as noted by other engineering colleagues in this forum. It is important to understand that becoming a professionally registered engineer has to be a rigourous process for it to be of value and it is regulated to ensure standards are maintained.

I have worked through the process to CEng from IEng and also found it very challenging, however if you have the supportining Underpinning Knowledge and Understanding (UK&U) and experiential learning you can progress to the desired level you are looking for, it takes time to do, maybe years, but is worthwhile. 

Contacting a Mentor / Professional Registration Advisor (PRA) can be a big help and if you contact the IET requesting help you should receive it.  

Hope this helps with understanding why the process can seem frustrating at times.

Kind Regards

Lee Wood MSc CEng MIET