This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Introduce yourself!

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Tell everybody, who you are, what you do, who you would like to connect with and why you joined IET Professional Development, on the My Community platform - what are you hoping to get out of it?

This is a great way to learn more about others and extend your professional network.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I am CEng and a PRA. 

I am based in Aberdeen, but am wiolling to help anyone in their quest for registration. 
    That's great advice, Malcolm. Thank you for the post.
    Hello Shimoo,

IET members can apply for a volunteer IET mentor through our Mentoring Service - further details and the application form can be found on our website: http://www.theiet.org/membership/career/mentoring/iservice/applymentor/

Kind regards,

Caroline

Hi Everyone,

I'm Alex, an Assistant Signalling Designer within Rail Signalling at Parsons Brinckerhoff. I currently have my EngTech but looking to progress towards IEng or even CEng.

I completed an Advanced Apprenticeship with Network Rail and have 6 years industry experience. I attend various CPD seminars with IRSE to develop my knowledge.

I am currently studying part-time at Open University studying BEng(Hons) Engineering Design.

I would be grateful of any advice or experiences that people have had applying for registration.
    Hello Alex

As a guide, contemporary CEng is works at MEng level and IEng works at BEng level.

The best move would be to contact registration at the IET. They have more expertise at hand and would probably advise a mentor.

Roy Bowdler is always very helpful and he knows the IEng registration routes thoroughly.

Hope this helps. 
  • @David, I've found the IET registration people to be somewhat slow to respond & not really on the ball, I've had much better response from the general membership on the forums. Having spoken with registration advisors on our committee, it seems that the whole thing is poorly thought out and that is what I am seeing first hand now.
    I must admit, years ago I hade the same experience with registration. I was hoping all had been sorted out! surprise

At least it's a first step even if it's only to request a mentor. A PRA at a later stage can be used.
  • Reassuring to know that, I thought they were just giving me a hard time! angry
    Hi Alex,

Please be assured that the Registration and Standards team are aware of your concerns about your application and they have been noted. The IET are always keen to hear constructive feedback about our processes. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the Registration team directly.

Kind regards

Caroline

• Caroline,

It feels like it is the first time the IET has ever handled one of these. As a representative of the IET at the local level, I'd like to feel sure that younger members approaching this step will get a smoother ride.