This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Coronavirus.

We have been advised not to go to pubs and restaurants, cinemas and other public places, to protect ourselves and others from the Coronavirus. Are we still able to work? Can we still obtain stock? Will we continue to visit workplaces like offices, shops or homes? Will we be provided  with fiscal support if we can not trade, especially if we are self employed?

University College London is predicting up to 250,000 potential fatalities from Coronavirus in the U.K.

How does the pandemic affect you?

Whaddaufink?

Z.

• "Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful."

George E P Box

At the moment, the NHS isn't testing anyone except those who are already seriously ill, so any figures for how many people are infected can only be an estimate.
  • Locally near the sea in North Norfolk, the restrictions and fears of many people are causing a loss of business income now and likely through the summer season as well. This area relies a lot on holiday visitors. I am being told of cancellations for holiday lets for park chalets and hotel accommodation. B&Bs will really suffer, as will pubs, restaurants and other public facilities. The holiday season has just begun here, but attendance is lower than last year. The holiday season is only about 6 months and is very weather dependant. There will be job losses. Who wants to employ waiters if there are no diners?

A relative in the Bournemouth area has lost her job at a travel agents and a second job at a pub. She is now without any income and has to pay rent.

The stock market may take up to two years to recover. People have lost a fortune in savings and investments.

This situation is very serious and will be devastating  for millions of people.

This country will borrow to help support those struggling to stay afloat. The U.K. will be in serious debt for decades.

We may not recover financially. We are looking at individual and national bankruptcy.

We may experience a situation like the 1920/30s New York stock market crash. Then people lived in cardboard boxes in Central Park and were starving.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street_Crash_of_1929

Z.

• I largely agree with the rather doom laden forecast above.

Most of us should survive the infection, but the economic consequences will be very severe.

• Learn from The Great Depression lessons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression

Z.
  • Debt deflation

Crowds outside the Bank of United States in New York after its failure in 1931

Irving Fisher argued that the predominant factor leading to the Great Depression was a vicious circle of deflation and growing over-indebtedness.[37] He outlined nine factors interacting with one another under conditions of debt and deflation to create the mechanics of boom to bust. The chain of events proceeded as follows:

1. Debt liquidation and distress selling

• Contraction of the money supply as bank loans are paid off

• A fall in the level of asset prices

• A still greater fall in the net worth of businesses, precipitating bankruptcies

• A fall in profits

• A reduction in output, in trade and in employment

• Hoarding of money

• A fall in nominal interest rates and a rise in deflation adjusted interest rates[37]

Z.
  • Z, you are being too gloomy. The conditions are entirely different to the great depression, although it may take some time to recover.

I have a few ideas to help, see what you think:

All rent payments for business and homes should be suspended. No one really looses anything, and it prevents bankruptcy.

All Rates suspended, the government funds local authorities as necessary

Anyone who cannot work, because of lack of demand etc. pubs, restaurants and so on has only food outgoings, so is safe and protected. This can be covered by the announced social security changes.

Those with interest payments can have these rolled over, so no outgoings.

There needs to be a huge fine for profiteering in any way from the emergency.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    LoL - you're like a like a little ray of sunshine there, Z

You forgot to mention that Instagram could go down and we'd then need to phone people up so they could describe their food to us.

I mean, like,  just trying to live my best life

Regards

OMS

• Good Morning All 

At LVS ltd we're doing nothing important at the moment that cant wait for a few weeks while the crisis passes (Perhaps it'll take longer than that???) I'm not self isolated yet and I don't have anyone in my household that is showing Covid symptoms.

I was wondering how I might help with all that is going on.....and as I have few skills that are medical related, it occurred to me that my local hospitals - Frimley Park Hospital and St Peters Hospital in Surrey, England, may need some additional support in their maintenance teams (i'm obviously an electrically skilled person but have a lot experience with Air handling units, Motor Control centres, I understand high and low pressurised hospital areas, having worked at a laboratory research centre (Byfleet New Haw), I some idea of clean environments, some experience with Thames water, clean water and sewerage pump systems, some experience with Building management systems, isolation's, fault finding etc etc........ I am well suited and skilled enough that this is something I can do.

My wife is OK with me going to work at either of these hospitals if I'm needed, although it clearly increases my families risk too, we have no known underlying health issues going on and are all relatively fit and healthy. All of the doctors and nurses and everyone right through cleaning staff and ambulance drivers are all taking the same increased risk. I'd like to be a part of the solution.

Now of my team of 4, two are probably not ideal candidates to go into a high risk area due to age and one has a heart issue, but myself and possibly one other could easily do so and would like to help if possible.

Can anyone link me to someone that does the maintenance at these hospitals because surely parts of, if not the whole maintenance team on site could go down with Covid and maybe they need additional personnel; more skilled people that know the site to better be able to continue functioning during this crisis. The normal hospital functions would need to continue to be supported too.

I'd like to help support one of these two hospitals. When the Covid crisis is over I'd just go back to doing what I always do - resume business as normal. If I get sick - they wont even have to pay sick pay as I'm not permanently employed......

Link me in please if you can

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I appreciate you're British and of a certain age, Tatty - but can you please stop it with this common sense, stiff upper lip, keep buggering on approach to life - you'll be frightening the snowflakes

OMS
  • ?