This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

ELECTRIC CHARGING POINTS ON MOTORWAYS

If we allow fully electric vehicles on our motorways then for sure some of them are going to fail going up a steep hill.  Should the highways agency be planning to install charging points at the bottom of all hills do you think??
  • It is very telling to look at historical snapshots of that Gridwatch site as it shows just how much and how fast  the generating mixture has changed in recent years

in 2011   we had more power from coal than nuclear,  and wind was almost a vanity novelty thing, at about 3% of the total
    by 2014  coal still dominant, over nuclear and gas but wind looking more serious as 10% up to 14%  of the total on a  low demand day

by 2016   coal had slipped behind nuclear and gas, into 3rd place and wind is still going up .
    by 2018   coal is clearly on the way out, gas in the lead, and wind and nuclear fighting for 2nd  place
    by early 2019   wind is in clear 2nd place generating just under a quarter of total, gas in 1st,  coal even further down.

I appreciate that from day to day it flops about a lot, as the weather varies but it would be a brave person who tried to say where it will be even in 5 years time, let alone 10 or 20, though there is a trend to low carbon sources, more wind to come from offshore  and I expect that to continue,  and I don't know about you but I will probably still be driving the same car at least in 5 years time.

If the distribution network changed at the same speed as the generation is doing, it would be unrecognisable.

• I suspect that, if the authors had recent experience of the German highways, several contributions to this thread would have been rather different.

• Michael Wrigley:

I suspect that, if the authors had recent experience of the German highways, several contributions to this thread would have been rather different.

Do you care to enlighten us?