This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

The Weekend Observation Quiz. X Rated.

In the old T.V. series Danger UXB in episode 10 there is an AVO meter used.

Q.1. Which model is it?

Q.2. What is the location of the old power station shown?

WARNING. There are some soppy bits and some biological scenes that may offend some viewers with a weak constitution. But the series was shown on T.V. in the late 70s so can't be too shocking.

I love Judy Geeson. What a fine actress.

Clue. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6xjle0

Good luck,

Z.

• I've had another look at the video.

There are no top connections on the AVO.

The model 40 had the same top connections as the later model 7 (ii?)

Since the original model 7 did not have top connections it must be a model 7 unless a variety of the model 40 also did not have top connections, unlikely but not impossible.
    b9811b21f37d4820e06f02797ae49ca7-huge-screenshotvidshot078.jpgc697de0a7af1a9d32a0eb7a316645df8-huge-screenshotvidshot079.jpg

• No, it is definitely a Model 40.  If you pause the video at 25 mins 54sec you can just make out Model 40 at the bottom.

David
  • This is worse than train spotting. ?

After adjusting the equalisation, you can clearly see "MODEL 40".

73764b6d1c8a91713938a8bf8b70c6ce-huge-d52a32c3-775f-430b-b415-26f54f67f5d3.jpg

Getting even further into the weeds, it's the Admiralty pattern 47A - see the writing at the top of the scale.

More info here.
  • Well done Chris, my picture is much more fuzzy.

Should we really be doing this on a summer Sunday afternoon?

David

• davidwalker2:

Well done Chris, my picture is much more fuzzy.

Should we really be doing this on a summer Sunday afternoon?

David, we cannot help it - it's part of our personalities.

Any road, Zoomup has been conspicuously quiet. Unlike most of his quizzes, I think that he asked 'cos he didn't know the answer. ?

• Is no one going to comment  on the battery in the demo of the mercury switch being a modern one (and rather unlikely use of modern wire insulation too)

I guess to mock up a real wartime one would have required a battery to be re-gutted, and for  10 second shot, not worth it.
  • So, there is a model 40 that does not have top connections, hmmm.

• mapj1:

Is no one going to comment  on the battery in the demo of the mercury switch being a modern one (and rather unlikely use of modern wire insulation too)

I guess to mock up a real wartime one would have required a battery to be re-gutted, and for  10 second shot, not worth it.

Steel encased you mean?

The trouble is that to mock up a real wartime cell would require making up a zinc body rather than a simple re-gut.

I've never taken off the steel on a cell before, perhaps that might be possible?

Is it just zinc underneath?

(That admission gives some idea of how long it has been since I stopped dismantling batteries and cells.)

Of course if we are going to be critical the whole thing looks as if it were made out of materials made yesterday anyway.
  • I am young enough to have opened the 1970s steel cell HP11 and SP11 type batteries, and indeed there is a waxed paper cylinder under the steel, and then the zinc outer of a normal 'U' type cell.

But nowadays, the alkaline carbon zinc cells that have become pretty much universal are ' inside out ' wrt the old ones, and the anode which always was the high resistance electrode,  is the now one with the larger surface area - hence the much higher short circuit current available from modern cells for a given size 

They'd also have to cool it a lot more to neutralise it with a modern battery - consider the top of the consumer range  L91 Lithium disulphide cell (AA cell 1.5V)        will still run, albeit weakly, at -40C. We specify them for ' awkward '  environments which may get frozen.
  • Ever ready 1289, need i say more?