This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

The Weekend Observation Quiz. X Rated.

In the old T.V. series Danger UXB in episode 10 there is an AVO meter used.

Q.1. Which model is it?

Q.2. What is the location of the old power station shown?

WARNING. There are some soppy bits and some biological scenes that may offend some viewers with a weak constitution. But the series was shown on T.V. in the late 70s so can't be too shocking.

I love Judy Geeson. What a fine actress.

Clue. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6xjle0

Good luck,

Z.

• Sorry Legh, it is episode 11 that I really meant. It is linked in the original question as a  clue if you want to see it. It is entitled "Dead Letter".

Z.
  • I never knew Fullham had a power station I was born in Fullham so it's a place that's special to me does anyone know was it a grid station or something non standard like a DC station or some weird frequency
  • When one Googles London power stations, it seems that a large part of the banks of the Thames was occupied by them. Coal was, of course, delivered by sea.

I have never experienced smog (but have been in thick fog, which seems to be a thing of the past) but with all those power stations, steam trains, and a coal fire in every home, London must have been like modern day Chinese cities.
  • It's funny you should mention about fog I have noticed there does seem . to be less of it now having said that I bet we will get thig fog now. It's really surprising just how many power station there were in London  everyone knows Battersea but the rest are not so well known.  I know that Battersea also had a DC. Station as did many other placesCome to think of it I know that Weymouth used to have a power station  it generated 230/460 DC as well as AC at 50 cycles but unknown voltage  also Hastings had one I wonder how many other towns had there own stations
  • Chris Pearson is right, it is a model 40 Avo, as can be seen at 25:40 mins.  Also it is Fulham power station, as distinguished by the four chimneys in-line.

I grew up near to Taylors Lane power station, which I understand was the first direct grid connected station.  Coal fired of course, and there were often showers of black grit from the chimneys.  Not so much worry about pollution then.   I walked to school past cooling towers (subject of a recent thread) and well remember in winter they froze, with huge stalactites (or ...mites, I can never remember which) of ice.

I am also old enough to remember the thick smogs prior to smokeless zones being introduced.  Thick, yellow and sulphurous smelling, and you literally could not see more than 3 feet ahead.

David
  • Smog. Eeek! I remember smog. Orrible stuff. Chimney fires. Not that uncommon to see someones chimney was on fire and the fire brigade called to put it out. Chimney sweeper called and stuck his brush up to sweep the chimney , the smell and mess was horrible.
  • The AVO is a Mk 7, not sure of the model probably iii.

I've a large collection of them.

At a quick glance a few minutes ago I could only find 6 of them all Mk 8 iii which is by far the best IMO.

The Mk 7s had the writing on the knobs which eventually wore off.

• Potential:

The AVO is a Mk 7, not sure of the model probably iii.

At a quick glance a few minutes ago I could only find 6 of them all Mk 8 iii which is by far the best IMO.

Are you sure that the scale is correct for a Model 7?

• Re-reading my reply I meant to say model 7 Mk iii.

I still can't find my model 7s so cannot be sure, I think mine are either plain model 7 or model 7 ii with the extra sockets.

I can't see the sockets so it could be a plain model 7.

• Chris Pearson:

Potential:

The AVO is a Mk 7, not sure of the model probably iii.

Are you sure that the scale is correct for a Model 7?

I've had a clear out of my workroom and most of my meters are in the loft suitable wrapped up and I'm not crawling up there today.

As I much prefer the model 8 to any other produced I didn't put them all up there.

( the more modern AVO variations where the scale does not match the aperture are rather ugly) 

The reason I said it was a model 7 is because the mirror is much more in keeping compared to a model 40 which had a much thinner version.

I have found a model 40 spare meter scale and I agree that the scale is the same but the mirror is different.