This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Where is the IET going?

The IET on Twitter is mostly about women in engineering and it appears we also have or have had an Executive member who represents the Association for Black and Minority Ethnic Engineers (AFBE-UK). Since when did we get away and direct our selves at subsections of the organization? There is no minorities that I am aware of in the IET at least not because of bias in any way shape of form. The same goes for women in engineering, no one is biased against them. Low numbers are because they dont want to be in engineering..

Where is the IET heading? It does not seem to be going in a place most of the member wold probably want or is it?
  • Sorry, I'm going to be blunt here. Engineering ability or interest has no innate connection whatsoever with what anyone carries in their underwear or the part they play in the procreative process. At the same time it is phenomenally difficult (in the UK at least) to find good engineers to employ. So finding out why 50% of the population feel, that, for purely social reasons, they are not interested in joining the profession is hugely important. (And let's face it, we know why this is the case, which is why we're now trying to do something about it.) And, from another angle, great engineering does not come from deciding "I only want to work with people just like me."

Personally I am very suspicious of any claim of "men are better at this, women are better at that". As my psychology tutor very wisely put it, the variations within each sex are massively greater than the average difference between sexes - take out social conditioning (which is the whole point of this debate) and it becomes hard to determine any useful difference at all.

As a middle aged balding bearded white man I am heartily fed of going to IET meetings and being surrounded by people like myself. Now as it happens, most of the engineers I directly work with are female (in most cases, to be honest, because we've worked together for some time and actually all joined the same company so that we could keep working together). But that's not representative of our company as a whole or of any other engineering company I've come across - and that's sad and a huge waste of potential talent.

It's really interesting to read about what happened during and after World War 2 to get a perspective view of this attitude that "they're not doing it because they don't want to" - a large number of women who were very competently and enjoyably carrying out engineering roles found themselves sacked because "the men needed the jobs". Sorry, why did they need the jobs more? "Because they're men." Errr...that's a reason?  

That all said, I totally agree with Roy, it is important that all these opinions are out in the open. 

If you like I can start discussing the difference between sex and gender - that gets to be a hugely entertaining subject on this topic...deliberately ensuring that you have a mix of genders (irrespective of sex) on an engineering team can be really useful and I'd heartily recommend it! Provided, as ever, everyone respects each other. It is very common for people to conflate sex and gender, and to believe that people of the male sex are all (or should be) male gendered, and that people of the female sex are all (or should be) female gendered, and then to feel that only male gendered people are competent / interested in engineering (or finance, or law, or being a chef, or being a guitarist, or being a newsreader etc etc etc.) Not one but two errors in that lot.

They were pretty good at this stuff in the bronze age. I blame the ancient Greeks and the Romans!

Cheers,

Andy

• Andy Millar:

It's really interesting to read about what happened during and after World War 2 to get a perspective view of this attitude that "they're not doing it because they don't want to" - a large number of women who were very competently and enjoyably carrying out engineering roles found themselves sacked because "the men needed the jobs". Sorry, why did they need the jobs more? "Because they're men." Errr...that's a reason?  

Andy

Andy,

The main reason was that the men had gone off to war with the promise that when they returned they could have their old jobs back. (That is not to say that "Because they're men" was not a factor with a number of employers.) However employers definitely missed a trick as with all the rebuilding that was needed after six years of war (and the fact that not everyone did return) there was the opportunity for work for a substantially increased workforce, so if it had been managed better there could have been a massive growth in engineering with a much more diverse workforce.

That said, I think it is a mistake to apply current attitudes in judging situations in the past where there was a very different outlook and attitude to life. We should accept what happened, be glad we are more enlightened, and try to fix the injustices/prejudices that we can still see.

Alasdair

• The world of Engineering and Technology is so varied and diverse, that there is space for almost every type of person. We all have some idea or opinion, about what sort of personality is best suited to engineering. Occupational Psychologists can bring a more scientific basis to this.  When people gather in groups of communities they begin to evolve common assumptions and behaviours, politics in some form is never far away, sociologists can bring a more scientific basis to this.   

I found  myself at the age of 15/16 applying for a job as Power Station Apprentice. and as part of selection I remember doing various  tests, such as numeracy, literacy, spacial and mechanical aptitude, a colour blindness check and personality preferences.  Five years later when doing my HNC, I noticed in the College Library a book called The Social Psychology of Organisations, it looked interesting so I borrowed it and read it sat on my workbench at tea break time, to "friendly banter" from workmates.  The poor woman who had to pass through the workshop on her way to the office also got some "friendly banter" but took it less well, often blushing prominently.  When I enrolled on an MSc in Human Resource Development a dozen years later, this book was first on the reading list. So I suppose the reasons for my interest are obvious!

People love stereotyping and to those outside our community, many of us are "geeks" or "nerds". Whether we regard such terminology as something to embrace light-heartedly or be offended by, we often illustrate some of the implicit assumptions of these descriptions. We can be narrowly focussed, detail conscious, perfectionists. These are extremely valuable traits in some engineering roles, but by no means all.  Some of us are very narrow in our perception of what constitutes a "proper engineer" and sometimes dismissive of "impure" forms, perhaps with a "management" or "political" focus. 

This is a recent attempt to define 11 "types" of Engineer for the purposes of gaining government apprenticeship funding; there are very many more possibilities of course.   https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/post-graduate-engineer/    Are each of these pathways equally valid? Would people with different personality traits be better suited to different roles? Is there any possibility that gender or ethnicity/cultural background would better optimise someone for one type of role rather than another?  There isn't any "correct" answer, but if we took the trouble then we could probably establish a correlation involving personality and specific skills, with performance in a particular type of role in each organisation. This correlation would be different if it was academic success we were attempting to measure, instead of workplace performance or productivity.

The principle of UK anti-discrimination laws is that; someone with a protected characteristic such a race and gender should be treated equally, unless there is an objective justification for doing otherwise. The IET shouldn't just comply with this principle, but exemplify and champion it as a respected advocate for Engineers an Technicians. In doing so, I think it is reasonable to emphasise an aspiration to encourage any groups that evidence suggests have been under represented; including but not limited to, Gender, Ethnicity and Social Class (not a protected characteristic). Engaging in "positive discrimination" by setting different standards for certain groups, is also an ongoing political "hot topic"often focussed on elite university admissions and the dominance of private schools for example, lets see how that pans out.

I would take a view that our standards/objective justifications are somewhat unsatisfactory. Also that within the wider Engineering Council family, subtle forms of snobbery and inappropriate barriers to progression are in use, creating "closed shops". Others disagree, for example by supporting the idea that A level grading in mathematics is a fair, appropriate and meritocratic mechanism for rationing advantaged access to Chartered Engineer recognition. 

Given the diversity of engineering,  "perfect" measures are very difficult, so we end up with political compromises or "fudges" between the various interests who make up the "engineering establishment", such as The Royal Academy Of Engineering, the Engineering Professors Council, Professional Institutions et al.  Such organisations have become more gender diverse and less socially elite in attitude, but are hardly a broad cross section of those employed as engineers. A culture has evolved where competition for relative status, either between ourselves or with other professions, seems to some of us more important than productive performance. Healthy competition is a good thing, but it it also offers fertile territory for inappropriate discrimination to breed.

If some people feel disadvantaged then the burden of proof should upon us to show otherwise, or that their "disadvantage" is actually fair discrimination for a legitimate purpose. 

Just to reiterate, I support Raymond in expressing his concerns and I note that Christopher has provided an IET "management" response. 

As I hope that I made clear, I don't think that The IET should over-emphasise the politics of gender, race, class or anything else for that matter, but neither can we ignore these issues if they impact on current members or those that we hope to engage; including young people pre-career, apprentices, students and the very many established practitioners who meet our standards. 

Looking forwards, we are members of one of the largest organisations of its kind and collectively aspire to leadership through influence and benefits to society ("working to Engineer a better world").  We are fortunate to have fantastic foundation from the IEE in particular, but also other predecessor institutions.  The most readily identifiable group which exemplifies that tradition and who contribute immensely as volunteers are Chartered Engineers, who are mostly British, white, male and aged over 55. I'm part of that demographic so I'm going to use the word "we"; must create a legacy for a future that is different to the one that we inherited. Diversity has gained an unstoppable momentum in the English speaking world and the sooner it becomes the new "normal", the sooner we can stop talking about it.   

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    This Pixar Short Film has an interesting take on "not doing it because they don't want to" - well worth 10 minutes of your time (8 minutes 42 seconds to watch, 1 minute 18 seconds to reflect):

• Love that Daniel Nicholls‍! ?

Reminds me of when I first started at a previous employer.

I was the only, and first woman ever, to work in a team of 35 men. On my first day I deliberately wore an England rugby shirt to show that I meant business.... ? Even so, one of the supervisors immediately marched into the managers office to complain that, as a woman, I wouldn't be able to do the job and that I was, and I quote "taking away a job from a man".

When I left some 4 years later, there were around 8 of us ladies in that team... ?
  • The matter should be about equal opportunities for all. If someone wants to advance within a field and they study and work hard to to so that is good. In engineering it is essential that the results work and the produced result is safe and reliable. It can not be good to advance somebody just because they are within a "minority group". They have to be competent as others' safety may be put at risk.

I believe that in the U.K. we have a more balanced view these days about equal opportunity recruitment. Some countries (such as S.Africa) in the world where forced diversity in employment is enforced can result in detrimental results as the applicants for a job may be unsuited due to poor experience, ability or bad education etc. 

A doctor who recently administered the wrong drug in the U.K. due to a poor understanding of language, whilst reading the contents of a bottle,  with dire results, shows that employees must be competent and thoroughly trained in all aspects of their work. 

Equal opportunities exist these days but that comes with a need for competence as well.

C.
  • Hello Danial Nicholls,

your Purl Pixor SparkShort cartoon was entertaining BUT I have not seen that sort of behaviour since the 1970s. It is history these days. Not only is discrimination illegal in the work place but it is old hat and retired. Somebody will be banging on about votes for women next. Women now have equality and equal rights. We even have a woman prime minister here in the U.K. Let's put this non-issue to bed and stick to engineering.

C.
  • Equality is necessary, but not sufficient. Diversity and inclusion also need to be considered otherwise the engineering professional will never be truly reflective of the society it serves, which is arguably still not the case in many regions of the world.    

• Equality is about equal opportunities and protecting people from being discriminated against (whether for age, sex, gender, religion, ethnicity, spectral radiance of their skin, etc).

• Diversity is about recognizing respecting and valuing differences in people.

• Inclusion refers to an individual’s experience within society (or workplace), and the extent to which they feel valued and included. 

In January 2017, the Royal Academy of Engineering conducted a survey of around 7,000 engineers to increase understanding of the culture of engineering, the extent to which it is inclusive of diverse groups and what could be done to make it more so. Findings from the survey were published in a report titled Creating cultures where all engineers thrive. The report focuses on the extent to which engineers feel included on grounds of gender, ethnicity, age etc. Learn more at https://www.raeng.org.uk/inclusivecultures 

Some key findings extracted almost verbatim from that survey include:

• White male engineers feel that the culture of engineering is more inclusive than female engineers who in turn feel that it is more inclusive than engineers from black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) backgrounds.

• Engineers aged 46 and over feel less included in the profession than those in the younger cohorts 

• Male engineers are almost twice as likely as their female colleagues to perceive the culture of engineering as ‘very inclusive’. They are 1.5 times as likely as women engineers to say that they feel ‘very included’ 

• White engineers are significantly more likely than their BAME colleagues to feel ‘very included’ in the engineering profession

• Other respondent demographics (disability, religion, sexual orientation) also make a difference to the experience of culture and inclusion in engineering, with disability making a particularly notable difference

• There are some differences in the experience of inclusion based on grade and registration status - sector, discipline and base appear to make relatively little difference to the experience of inclusion. 

• Specific underlying barriers to progress on inclusion in engineering revealed by this study include:
      • the ‘inclusion privilege’, which means those who already feel included are least likely to take action

• the perception that there is no ‘crisis of inclusion’, or burning platform, to drive action, but a consistent pattern of lower levels of inclusion for BAME and women engineers 

Given that both IET membership and the broader engineering profession continues to lack proportionate representation from the diversity of humanity, shows the institution still has a need to inspire, inform and influence the diversity of the global engineering community in these and other matters.
  • David,  I’m pleased that you have highlighted this important Social Science based study of cultures in Engineering.  

I picked on this element

“Age makes more of a difference. Feelings of inclusion decrease with age, so that engineers in the older age cohort feel less included than younger engineers.” and “It must not be overlooked that one in five white and male engineers do not feel fully included in the profession”.  I would hypothesise that these feelings might correlate with social class and university attendance.  In the older age groups a far higher proportion of UK Engineers developed their careers via apprenticeships and although a minority have found pathways through to the “commanding heights” of the profession, many will have experienced negative prejudice and exclusion from Chartered Engineer recognition for example, on academic rather than performance grounds.  The long running IEng “problem” which has occupied many hundreds of posts in these forums is an ample illustration. Perhaps this research has attracted people with similar experience of some gender and ethnic diversity (the focus of the study), rather than people with diverse experience? I note that 1% of the respondents were apprentices, 83% of respondents were office based and that only one of the photographs chosen clearly represents engineering (page 23 Clare).   

Having focussed on “feelings” let’s focus back on performance, because we are charged with discriminating on the basis of performance for professional registration. Many amongst us, reasonably argue that any other basis in inappropriate, there are for example people who feel that they were outcompeted in a situation, because “positive discrimination” or “tokenism” had an influence.        

In an earlier post, I gave some examples of “level 7” Apprenticeships which are designed to align with to align with Chartered Engineer. Below are examples of “Level 3” Apprenticeships designed to align with Engineering Technician. Part of the IET’s role in ensuring professional standards it to evaluate the professional competence of Engineers and Technicians within this range of practice.  We hold a license to do this in the public interest and any evidence of discriminatory behaviour by us, could see it withdrawn, seriously undermining our credibility.  

https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/installation-electrician-maintenance-electrician/

https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/engineering-technician/

The levels are a device for comparing academic qualifications based on the amount of study and its academic demands, I won’t debate that here (literally an academic argument), but they provide useful benchmarks.  

We choose to value “learnedness” more highly than practical productive contribution, but the needs of the market and actions of employers may allocate value differently , including factors like supply & demand, value added and productivity. Therefore, someone like an Electrician or Plumber may earn more than a Chartered Engineer. Public sector organisations tend to align salary and career structures with qualifications, private ones with productivity and economic value added.

I would see our responsibility as a leader, not only to recognise professional competence for public benefit, but also to ensure that there is fair access to those who wish to develop careers in Engineering and Technology.  Therefore, in my example above of an Electrician, very few women seek an Electrician’s apprenticeship. There is no biological reason why they cannot carry out the role successfully and a small number do so, but there is clearly a cultural barrier. In the earlier example of a Chartered Engineer, high level academic performance in mathematics and science subjects by the age of 16 is almost essential to gain access to an accredited degree course. This is far less likely to be achieved by those from less advantaged backgrounds , where there is no tradition of university attendance, the concept of a chartered professional is little understood and likely role models are non-existent. Engineering careers have historically been “engines of social mobility”, but that effect has declined in recent decades. Successive governments have considered this a national priority issue  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fair-access-to-professional-careers-a-progress-report

The IET can just ignore these issues, or exercise moral leadership and try to address them.

The IET has clearly sought to promote gender and racial equality (hence the thread) and sought to become more actively engaged with “Technicians” including Electricians and other roles with skill and responsibility. It has conducted surveys and publicised employers feedback, contributing to government action seeking to revitalise the apprenticeship tradition which served us so well and  as a by-product created social mobility.  In respect of those at the other end of our span of standards remit, we don’t uniquely control access to Chartered Engineer, but we have been one of the most influential players in this or its earlier equivalents for well over 100 years. I would argue that the IET has widened access and at least maintained if not enhanced standards over recent years. However, there remain some systematic problems inherent in the current model of professional recognition, that The IET has found more difficult to deal with. These are about how we create divisions between us and what the consequences are.

Engineering Council apportions relative status to these divisions, which has created a situation where potentially very significant achievement is widely held to be of “lower” status. Here are two examples of  “level 6” Apprenticeships

https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/building-services-engineering-site-management-degree/    
    https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/chartered-surveyor-degree/ 

I used to manage a mixed (speciality, gender and ethnicity) group of people who were following an earlier version of  these two pathways.  It seems that perhaps each pathway, is held in very different levels of respect by its professional community.  I agree with Clive, that it is competence that matters and would add productivity, but once we conflate competence with status and then apportion lower status to perfectly competent professional practitioners of good conduct, then our credibility is undermined. We deter those practitioners from participation and reinforce the widely held view that PEIs are “elitist gentlemen’s clubs”.     

• IMechE CEO 18th Feb

Queen Elizabeth prize for engineering… A quick look at the winners however shows that even though they are reasonably international, all fourteen of them so far have been men.  It somewhat reflects the world of 20 or more years ago when their inventions needed to start to have the impact they have today, but it also reminds us how much more we should celebrate when we see the first woman being recognised hopefully soon.  At the IMechE, we are proud to be the leading institution in that we have had three female Presidents, but all of these have come in the last 22 years; there were none for 150 years before that. 

Our Equality and Diversity Steering Group still therefore needs to have many initiatives to try to recognise the challenges of working in a male-dominated profession.  Most recently it has just launched free online diversity and inclusion training.  The course is available to all members and volunteers of the Institution, but as there are a limited number of training sessions available, they will allocate the places on a first-come first-served basis.