This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

I have recently finished rereading George Orwell’s 1984 (actually the compendium of all his novels) and was struck by the similarity to the AGW movement(s). 

The basis of 1984  is that the Elite (Inner Party) want absolute and permanent power. If the life of the masses (Prols) is too easy they are hard to control so they are kept in a state of semi poverty by a continuous war which uses up the free resources.

The importance of the war is supported by the Propaganda Machine (Ministry of Truth) that continuously changes history to match the requirements of the Inner Party and to suppress free thought. Those who have any free thought or who challenge the system are taken away by the Thought Police. The need for and support of the war are driven by daily two minute hate sessions and by longer hate weeks. The organisation is run by the Outer Party who get certain limited privileges but are constantly monitored and brainwashed by their ‘Telescreens’.

Looking at today people are already mostly voluntarily locked to their ‘Telescreens’ (Smartphones, Tablets, TVs, etc.) and get most of their information from the Media, especially social media like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc. Very few people ever look at what is behind this information and are ripe for being told that Climate Change, AGW, etc. is our war. Rather than just two minute hate sessions we are bombarded with calls to war, most stuff on the BBC science section, David Attenborough’s Climate Change: the Facts, Hottest Day Evaahh, reported Increases in natural disasters, Corbyn’s Climate Emergency, etc. Extinction Rebellion bought the Hate Week around the world. 

The Elite will keep doing just what they want to, buying beach villas, flying round in private jets, living in mansions whilst trying to create energy poverty for the masses to keep them under control. The dash for renewables has significantly increased energy costs wherever it has been implemented, UK, Germany, Australia, etc. The money all goes those who already have money and can afford to pay up front for solar panels, wind turbines, EVs, etc. and get the various government subsidies. The ‘Prols’ just get higher bills.

How many people just believe the Ministry of Truth? How many actually look and see the number of papers and articles that have to be withdrawn or corrected? Dissent is suppressed as far as possible with cries of ‘Denier’ and personal abuse. Scientists are threatened with loss of funding or sacking (the Peter Ridd case in Australia is a ray of hope).

Does anyone else see it like this? Before I am completely flamed I fully support the reduction in the use of our finite resources, reduction of pollution and reduction of our impact on the planet. I don’t think that targeting CO2 is the correct way to achieve these goals.

Best regards

Roger

• OMS:

If you want to see how easy it is, then take a look at the di-hydrogen monoxide parody  - priceless

I remember that from years ago. I actually took a photograph of a board a farmer had put up at Lochbuie on the Isle of Mull stating something like:

Warning: This land is regularly sprayed with dihydrogen monoxide. This substance is used in the chemical industry and has been the subject of many Government hazard warnings. It has caused the deaths of a large number of people over the last fifty years.

As you say, priceless - and perfectly accurate.

• I have now looked up "dihydrogen monoxide parody" on wikipedia - well worth the read. The sign I photographed was there in 1991 so was ahead of most of the publicity. However I also remember reports from about that time that a Welsh Councillor was fed up with his council taking votes on matters they didn't understand and actually got them to ban it in their region, much to their subsequent embarrassment, though I have been unable to verify this.
  • Dihydrogen Monoxide ...dangerous stuff, tends to thin the blood if taken in quantity and in its acidic form encourages corrosion in certain metals.......

Legh
  • If you need to know more about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide, look at https://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Highlights are that it is a major component of acid rain and causes erosion....
  • In it's vapour form it also causes climate change ?

• Lisa Miles:

And then you see stories like this one: Flat Earth Rising  and you despair...

I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books but not for one second do I believe the earth is flat... ?

I agree,nobody believes that anymore. However, I did read somewhere that there was a scientifically fixed height restriction on human beings due to the spin of the earth.

Legh

• Legh Richardson:

Lisa Miles:

I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books but not for one second do I believe the earth is flat... ?

I agree,nobody believes that anymore. However, I did read somewhere that there was a scientifically fixed height restriction on human beings due to the spin of the earth.

Legh

Are you sure nobody believes it? The Flat Earth Society have stated in one of their news stories:

As most of our regulars will be aware by now, YouTube celebrity Logan Paul has recently attended the Flat Earth International Conference in Denver and publicly voiced his support of the Flat Earth Movement. 

• Alasdair Anderson:

Legh Richardson:

Lisa Miles:

Legh

Are you sure nobody believes it? The Flat Earth Society have stated in one of their news stories:

As most of our regulars will be aware by now, YouTube celebrity Logan Paul has recently attended the Flat Earth International Conference in Denver and publicly voiced his support of the Flat Earth Movement. 

Lol .... Not to be too contraversal, Flat Earth Protagonists appear to primarily believe in a conspiracy that NASA has engineered space travel, moon landings, the Antartic ice shelf so that monies can be poured into the protection of corporate anti-flat earth agencies.....

Do they still run degrees in Clingon ?

Legh 

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Young YouTube celebs who get onto the bandwagon of such nonsense, probably do so as this will attract more followers; which in turn will attract advertising, and therefore generate more money. So there is a business case there.

As far as the hippy bridgade is concerned; middle-age people who follow things like: flat earth theory; fake NASA landings; fake satellites orbiting the earth; the ruling classes being Lizards disguised behind fake human outfits, and coming from alien world(s); and many more where that came from. It's a way of doing things to make money, without having to get proper jobs, but more towards meeting with the people who are willing to get sucked in, and buy their books.

We may on occasions be confronted by strangers on the street, asking for money for some food or perhaps bus or train money to get back home safely; opportunists they call them. It's all part of the same culture - to extract money out of innocent people or passer-bys.

• Andy Millar:

Very quickly because I'm supposed to be at work - there seems to be two different issues being conflated here. The majority of the media, and the majority of wealthy who are able to employ very effective PR agencies, benefit hugely from the free market so it is strongly in their interest to promote one particular world view (which individuals may or may not agree with - and it's a hugely complicated issue). But that's completely separate from the scientific consensus on climate change and its relationship to CO2.

If the "elite" wanted to suggest that a) climate change is real and b) it was linked to CO2 we'd be living in a very different world...but since, on the whole, controlling CO2 emissions goes against free market principles it is very heavily played down (except where individual companies can spin it to their benefit). So in fact it's those who aren't in the "elite" - climate academics and the general public - who are pushing for change. (Anyone who thinks climate academics are in the elite has clearly never met one!! One of the most thankless jobs there is - no-one likes bad news.)

Thanks,

Andy

I wrote the original piece as it appeared to me that CO2 and climate change were being used for control. The “elite” all talk it up and fly large numbers of people to expensive conferences but don’t take any notice of the message themselves. If they believed what they were saying they would have all sold their waterfront properties before they were drowned by the rising sea levels. If you have the money to invest in wind and solar and can harvest the subsidies you will support renewables. If you don’t have the money to invest you just get higher electricity bills.

As the DHMO fun suggests most people just believe without doing any checking. If you start to check things are often not as they first seem. A significant number of reports are plastered over the media which are later challenged and withdrawn either without comment or are small statement in an obscure corrections section.
    I have already mentioned the fish and microplastics study that was completely made up. A more recent example via the BBC was this one quoting an IPPR report on natural disasters:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47203344
    This was so wrong that the article was corrected (mentioned at the end) and a brief piece appeared in the corrections section:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/helpandfeedback/corrections_clarifications
    Most people would only have read the original article.
    I am reasonably happy with the science behind the climate change as far as the IPCC AR5 which is fairly realistic about the uncertainties in the models. Most of the political stuff bears very little resemblance to the science. I am awaiting the IPCC AR6 in 2021/22 to see how they manage to deal with the ‘pause’, Medieval Warm Period and Little Ice Age. The pause is still with us. There was a rise in temperature of around 1°C between 1975 and 2000 following a cold spell. Since then the temperatures are essentially flat as can be seen on the Central England Temperature series as well as on the global series.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/
    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcrut4/figures/Figure11.png
    The 1.5°C rise between about 1700 and 1730 on the hadcet series may also take some explaining.
    I’ll stop there before the Thought Police (Extinction Rebellion) come for me. This isn’t the sort of truth that they want to hear.

Best regards

Roger