This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Professionally registered engineers report higher earnings

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Professionally registered engineers report higher earnings

"Average salaries are higher among professionally registered engineers in all areas of industry, according to a 2018 Salary Survey produced by The Engineer. The mean average salary among professionally registered respondents was over £8,000 a year higher."

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/professional-registration-engineer-salary/

Salary survey here

Moshe Waserman BEET, MCGI, CEng MBCS, MIET

• Edited to correct typos!

That's interesting and, now I think about it, reminds me of the part of my career when I was I.Eng and not yet C.Eng, which suddenly suggests a different take on the "old boys club" perception than has been evident in either this thread, or that on reinvigorating I.Eng.

Bear wth the following rant, which I was planning to post among other reactions in that other thread, but I outline it here purely as a prelude to my sudden realisation, to set the scene for it.

One of the big issues that I took issue with on that other thread was this suggestion, by certain contributors that C.Eng members are part of an old boys club, and I felt this was unfair, making assumptions about people's motives that were not appropriate to make without evidence, or discussion with them to understand their motives (in fact, I should be saying our motives). 

The thing I fully acknowledge, as several of us have already, is that there is a perception out there that this is the case, but, from all dealings and discussions I've had with other C.Eng members, I feel that it is an unfounded perception, in the IET at least, and that most C.Eng, and most older active members, are truly motivated by the desire to pay back, at the advanced stages of their career, to the profession that they are part of and that, in their time, has provided them with the support and mentoring that they now hope to offer to others who are at earlier stages of development, but also, to find a way to remain active and fulfill their own CPD needs. Naturally, those who are fully or partially retired will have both more time to do this, and more motivation, so it can create an impression of institute activity being dominated by older members. But that doesn't mean it's motivated by any desire to form an old boys club.

I therefore took exception to posts that simply made these assumptions about their motivations and promoted what I see to be a myth as if it were established fact. Frankly, it felt like some of the awful Facebook malignment of people with little or no knowledge of them that has become prevalent, and frankly smacks of age discrimination, and thus a breach of the ethical codes on diversity and protected characteristics. Furthermore, it is a form of self-fulfilling prophecy in that, if the perception is widely spread among younger engineers, and as a result they fail to pursue either membership or registration so do in fact create an institute with a steadily increasing proportion of older members, and a registration profile that becomes steadily older.

So, my sudden realisation arises from memory of a very similar scenario to that described by Lee. At that time (around 1998) I joined an engineering consultancy as I.Eng. I took a senior position (initially lead telecoms engineer for my office, but very quickly moving to Technical Director and Professional Head, first nationally, then Internationally. 

Because the company, like most engineering consultancies, was dominated by Civil Engineers, and they all considered C.Eng an essential requirement, especially as they were often called on to sign off calculations and engineering opinions for structural stability, etc. Consequently, I hit some surprise and initially resistance for the fact that I should occupy such a senior position whilst being a mere I.Eng without a degree. In honesty, I believe that this was what created the strongest motivation for me to correct the situation as soon as I was able using the mature candidate route that was the only non-degree route to C.Eng at that time. In practice, if it were in my nature to be so (which it isn't) I could have been quite smug about this some two years down the road when I was appointed to the International Professional Board, which made me one of the 6 most senior engineers in this 3000 strong company and which gave me the responsibility to review the professional practice and standards of those very people who had formerly looked down their nose at me, and present them, in many cases, with improvement plans and targets!

The point of all this, my realisation, is that perhaps, in reality, the old boys club exists not within the institute(s), or even the profession as a whole (though these experiences do make me wonder about Civil Engineers and the ICE) but within certain types of company/organisation, and without a doubt, I feel that multi disciplinary engineering consultants would generally be high among the "guilty parties".

So, given that several of us acknowledge the perception and feel a need to do something about it, maybe this is where we should be looking first, wth the important point that we probably should be promoting the benefit of making registration a requirement, but importantly, to try to counter any tendency to turn it into an old boys club, but also to promote the point that C.Eng is only one of the registration grades, and that the most appropriate one should be selected, rather than always requiring the highest level (C.Eng)

Thoughts?
  • Roy,

totally in agreement - my only observation is quote 'always requiring the HIGHEST level - CEng'

I don't have the answer to the issue, but, how do we lose the Two Ronnies 'Class System Sketch' with John Cleese subconscious (or indeed deliberate) reference to the different registration categories in a hierarchy. If only we could!

Regards

Mike
  • I could point out the Class System Sketch predates the Two Ronnies by a decade - I think is was on TW3  (That Was The Week That Was), though it might have been The Frost Report. However Roy's comments got me thinking. He talks about the "old boys" club perception but I also got to thinking how do we know how prevalent that is? There is a lot of comment on this aspect on other threads as Roy mentions but it may be a very small but vocal minority. I have certainly come across it on many occasions in print but I can't recall ever meeting with an individual who had that opinion. If this is the case it may be that it is an easier issue to deal with than we first thought, or it may be that as most of my encounters are with IET registrants that Roy's comment about it being more of an issue in some other PEIs is valid (in which case tackling it becomes much more difficult).

As this is a discussion forum it is difficult to organise an investigation but if anyone has valid anecdotal evidence (along the lines of Roy's experience) to shed light on this it would be valuable in identifying where efforts need to be made to rectify this assumption that I am sure, at least within the IET, is unfounded.

Alasdair
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Maybe its just a UK thing, but I've never understood the "old boys club" viewpoint.

Here in Gibraltar, it seems genuinely desirable (hence my previous comment on salary differences). I've seen it as a bit of a saviour one respect.

As I only have a HND, that alone I've seen is looked down upon - despite the fact part of my job is to review and correct the numerous errors made in designs by people with BEng's (including the company I spoke about before, ironically). I view the IEng as a bit of a saviour in the sense its a sort of 3rd party accreditation and confirmation that your knowledge and experience is to BEng level or above. I don't have the time to do a top-up course to BEng, so obtaining IEng is a much more convenient (if not preferable) thing to obtain.
  • WRITTEN THIS MORNING

Roy Pemberton, I have nothing but respect for your post, your career and your motives. However, I hope you recognize that you are not a “threshold” Chartered Engineer, but an exceptionally developed one, you seem to have comfortably passed the CEng threshold when you were still IEng.

Perhaps the “pound of flesh” extracted by the “mature candidate scheme” helped you to develop “masters level” thinking, but most people working in areas where chartered engineers weren’t common, wouldn’t have been aware of this pathway. Also along with the chartered institutions, it was also widely distrusted anyway. My understanding is that you had first to be over 35, before being “invited” to produce a report by illustrating that you were already working at “Chartered level”, but having not met the “academic requirement”.

Mike’s reference the Cleese, Barker, Corbett sketch (originally 1966 I think) illustrates the issues perfectly.  Many of my arguments are sociological rather than technical for a reason (not just that I’m better qualified in the formerwink) they are because we can choose who we want to recognize and who we don’t. The “we” in this case is Chartered Engineers, because they have total hegemony. Some are recognizably “John Cleese”, but in a social class context, most of the more capable are Ronnie Barker and a few are Ronnie Corbetts who didn’t “know their place”, or found the right patronage to “elevate” themselves. Snobbery has evolved over the last half century and is probably more academic based now. However, I have noticed within the IET a growing and unique sub-culture of “UK-SPEC snobs”. I’m studying the characteristics of this tribe through ethnography and will report back. I’m already fully familiar with the military system of ranks and messes, which in technical branches isn’t “snobbish”, but does emphasise “knowing one’s place”.

PS good luck Lee!  

WRITTEN LAST WEEK  

Despite perceptions improving, stubborn myths such as apprenticeships being second best to degrees in terms of future career opportunities, remain in place. However, research by the Sutton Trust shows some apprentices can out-earn graduates over the course of their lifetimes by up to £52,000. With young people experiencing increased cost of living pressures, it is important to eradicate these untruths, particularly in the construction sector. Official data shows that in the crucial first five-year period from leaving full time education, young people who undertake apprenticeships have a much greater opportunity to earn more than their peers who opt for the higher education route. (Source Redrow plc Apprentices report 2018). This company is proud of its Corporate Social Responsibility and its founder is a great philanthropist. (A Civil Engineer by profession…Liverpool Polytechnic… he completed a two-year diploma course… In February 2017 he donated an estimated £207 million to his charitable Foundation, believed to be one of the largest public donations ever in the UK)

The Sutton Trust research report on which the claim is based is long, complex and often highly critical of “apprenticeship” policy and practice for perfectly good reasons. The earnings figure is based on a longitudinal study of those who were 16 in 2003 and does not take any student debt into account. The focus is on level 2 & 3 Apprenticeships, since training programmes at the higher levels of 4,5,6 and even 7, were not classified officially by the UK government as “apprenticeships” until relatively recently. Having become rather overlooked in the policy to expand higher education. The report does however state.

Our findings show a positive differential for having started an apprenticeship in many contexts. However, the extent of this differential depends on the apprenticeship sector. Furthermore, it is not always higher than the average payoff from only doing classroom-based qualifications, whether academic or vocational. The earnings differential from starting an apprenticeship is much higher for men than for women, partly reflecting the different sectors in which they pursue an apprenticeship.  It is particularly high for those men who do an ‘advanced apprenticeship’ in engineering. In fact, those who complete an advanced apprenticeship in engineering earn more than those with a degree in engineering at age 28. 

The report goes on to state (The Sutton Trust has an agenda of social mobility)

In August, the front-page of The Times reported that elite private schools are promoting degree apprenticeships to their students. The argument that a degree apprenticeship in engineering, accountancy or project management is an attractive option for these young people is strong. Their schools deliver the educational qualifications, social capital and networks that can facilitate access to the most sought-after apprenticeships offered by top firms. For this group, completion of a degree apprenticeship is an alternative route to a successful career, consolidating their social position. However, this raises a serious question about apprenticeships as a vehicle for social mobility and progression if opportunities for recruitment to higher-level apprenticeships is inadvertently curtailed for those coming from less advantaged starting points. At the same time, the high profile for higher and degree apprenticeships means that not enough work is being done to develop and invest in levels 2 and 3 where most apprentices are found, and to ensure that it offers them a strong platform for progression… Connections between the levels must be strengthened so that level 2 and 3 apprentices do not hit arbitrary glass ceilings and have similar chances as their A-level or graduate peers to access the next level including, higher and degree apprenticeships.

If we combine this study with The Engineer CBS/Butler one we get a fuller picture of what is happening to Engineer's careers and  earnings.  I didn’t manage to dig out in the time I had available the definition of a “Junior Engineer” for example, but if we set aside overtime payments or premiums that may accrue though self-employment , the two studies seem aligned. What is also clear is that we are not talking about International Engineering Alliance (Washington Accord) “Engineers”, but a mixed bag of those employed as Engineers , which would strongly suggest that they are potentially registerable in one of our categories. It is also seems highly likely that those who are registered are mostly in the CEng category. There are Eng Tech registrants who would be described in employment as Engineers and of course some Incorporated Engineers as well, but between the ages of 30 and 65  Eng Tech & IEng registrants combined are outnumbered by CEng at least 3:1 rising to 5:1 in the age cohort 40-45. Approximately 30%  of registered engineers are over 65 although some are still employed in “salaried” roles.        

I found the following particularly interesting 

When it comes to choosing their route into the profession, engineers are remarkably consistent. Just as in the previous two years, half of all engineers surveyed have a degree. Meanwhile, 38.9 per cent of engineers entered industry through an apprenticeship scheme, a very similar figure to last year (38.5 per cent). What’s more, like 2017 the percentage of engineers having chosen the apprenticeship route continues to rise with age. Just 26.1 per cent of under-thirties, 21.9 per cent of those in their thirties, and 29.6 per cent of those in their forties have undertaken an apprenticeship, while 50.2 per cent of those in their fifties and 59.1 per cent of those in their sixties have taken this route.

The reverse is true for engineers choosing the university route, with 56.1 per cent of under-thirties, 52.9 per cent of those in their thirties, and 56.9 per cent of those in their forties having been awarded a degree, dipping to 45.6 per cent of those in their fifties and 40.2 per cent of those in their sixties. There is also a significant gender imbalance, with 40.9 per cent of men having chosen to undertake an apprenticeship scheme, compared with just 10.7 per cent of women. In contrast, 62.1 per cent of women surveyed have a degree, compared with 49.2 per cent of men. Among the sectors, the aerospace industry has the highest percentage of engineers who have pursued an apprenticeship (46.1 per cent), followed by the consumer goods and food and drink sector (44.4 per cent) and the chemical, pharmaceutical and medical sector (42.6 per cent). The lowest percentage of engineers with an apprenticeship can be found in the telecoms, electronics and utilities sector (28 per cent). 

From post war until the 1980s Telecoms & Utilities typically recruited 10-20 Apprentices for every Graduate, with many progressing to senior engineering roles, so this represents a huge inter-generational “change”. Just in case anyone is kidding themselves that these sectors are now somehow “higher tech nowadays”, they were “high tech” then as well, in the context of the time. Each generation just builds on the achievements of the last.  Tommy Flowers (an apprentice who studied for a degree at night school) Frank Whittle (an RAF apprentice who got promoted before a later degree) and my own particular favourite “local hero” the Victorian Thomas Parker (who left school at the age of 10 for an apprenticeship, before later being dubbed “The Edison of Europe” by Lord Kelvin). Oliver Heaviside (as theoretically distinguished as most, left school at 16) 

There may be some useful correlations in here if  they could be identified. An interesting headline could have also been: “50% of Junior Engineers are registered, compared to 32 % of Directors” and "only 10% of Directors agree that registration leads to higher salaries by seniority”; perhaps not so helpful?

A rational employer should reward more productive contributions more highly, although productivity isn’t always easy to define. For example many would regard CEng staff as an advertisement for quality which might attract a premium in the market place, or allow easier access to certain markets.  Is there really a more inventive streak in some CEng and/or is it a good proxy for a suitably qualified and experienced person to manage various risks?  Obviously, supply and demand is always a major factor in earnings, but it is susceptible to short-term effects such as migration etc. 

Andy, Alastair, Roy, Mike and I, all advocate registration enthusiastically. Perhaps we should tease away at how we think the professional registration/PEI membership proposition can be used to add the most value to employers and society?  I sense that we share common ground in feeling that, it is well past the time to move on from the agenda of neediness for social status, relative to medicine, law etc.  We have a great collective story to tell if we hadn’t become so factional and classist. Any chance of the occasional sighting of a hard hat or oily rag from the “commanding heights” perhaps, just show how great engineering is at enabling social mobility and enriching society as wholeblush.  

WSP worked with the New Economics Foundation to apply the Social Return on Investment (SRoI) methodology to its own apprenticeship scheme, measuring the initiative’s outputs compared to its cost. It was found that for every £1 invested in its apprenticeship programme, £2.26 was created in return for stakeholders. By extrapolating from that figure, it was estimated that a total social value in excess of £6bn would be reached, based on the 114,400-young people that started STEM apprenticeships in England in 2017. (also from The Engineer)

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I've always wondered what the average age of someone obtaining IEng was, and im surprised to see its out numbered against CEng by such a large scale - I assumed most would go from one to the other after additional experience/promotions had been obtained after IEng.

On of the things I found when research IEng and CEng etc, was the lack of clarity as to what exactly difference was beyond academic requirements. I could only come to conclusion it was down to experience in senior roles, such as management.

Also, I have to ask. What is an "apprentice degree"? I've always known the two to be two different things.
  • Alasdair,

i concur entirely, and that was the reason i took exception to certain posts that stated it as a definite fact, making assumptions about people's motivations, and worse still, propagating the myth with the result of fewer younger engineers pursuing membership or registration, and so creating a self fulfilling prophecy in respect to the age profile, though still maligning the motivation. 

However, Lee's post prodded my memory to the only occasion I've encountered it, and that was associated with a particular employment environment, not the institute itself.

Regarding the cost thing, I wasn't necessarily trying to promote a distinction between levels of registration per se, though I don't personally believe there's anything won't with distinguishing between levels of responsibility and practice that individuals have demonstrated they are able to operate at - it's natural career progression - but my point was that we need to discourage employers from seeing selection criteria that exceed the needs of the role - the automatic selection of C.Eng as the criterion when I.Eng would be perfectly suitable.
  • I couldn't agree more Lee, in fact your academic qualification exceeds mine, as mine is HNC. To me, that is the value of both I.Eng and C.Eng as they assess the bigger picture Blyth of knowledge gained on the job or any other way, and of how you actually practice as an engineer - a far me valuable benchmark than any academic qualification
  • As for old boys club, i think, overall, it is a myth, but there may be some pockets in certain working environments - i definitely don't believe it exists within our institute, or the engineering profession as a whole (with that slight reservation, based on my own experience, when it comes to Civil Engineers - but even that may be unfair, and is purely my experience, around 20 years ago, in one specific environment.
  • Roy, yes, you're quite right in all respects, and hopefully my other post has clarified the point I was trying to make as it would appear that, in the interests of brevity, I must have worded it badly as you and others appear to have understood it to mean almost exactly the opposite of what i intended.

Like Andy, I've come to the point where, though, as you know, I'm personally not in favour of trying to build the value (or perception of value) of I.Eng, I am not averse to your idea of merging the two and scrapping the tiers created, and acknowledge that it may well be an easier goal to achieve, but do long as we do have both registrations in place, I'm keen to discourage employers from demanding C.Eng when I.Eng is perfectly suitable