This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Autonomous vehicles

Hi all friends,

I wanted to know if all garages that provide repair service are licensed to repair autonomous vehicles?

If not, please provide reasons.

I ask the community because if the garage has been authorized by the Ministry of Transport to repair cars I do not see it as a matter of training licensees for professional knowledge (of course up to a certain threshold), because the world of autonomy requires a good few years to know how the sensors work and I believe a person Normative In order to obtain permission for this, an employee with the rank of mechanical engineer from the automation section will be employed.

I would love to get factual and genuine answers that reflect actual reality
  • So far as I am aware, there is no requirement to hold any sort of licence to repair a vehicle in the UK.
  • And where is the knowledge from? Would you like to put your Mercedes in the garage to check and fix a fault in one of the sensors that control self-driving ? 

(Of course a vehicle has ended manufacturer warranty)
  • Probably much like the training to work on any other safety-critical part of a car.  It's by doing an apprenticeship at a car dealer, and reading workshop manuals.

Swapping a LIDAR sensor can't be much different to swapping an oxygen sensor in the exhaust. 
    • Plug in the diagnostic computer, and ask the car what the problem is.

• Identify the faulty part.

• Unscrew and unplug the part.

• Plug in and screw in the new part.

• Re-start the car and check that the computer says it's happy.

• Hand bill to customer.

• The problem has been identified in the UK and Thatcham Research is producing a set of rules for the repair of components affecting automatic driver assistance systems:
    https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/car-industry-news/2020/07/31/insurance-industry-requirements-established-for-adas-equipped-vehicles

There are, however, many other safety related issues with motor vehicle maintenance. How do you confirm that the brake pads are correctly installed or that the wheel nuts have been tightened with the correct torque? Changing the brake pads would be considered a DIY job.

If a garage has worked on your ABS or ESP system how do you know it is functioning correctly? In case of an incident Professional Liability would apply but that might be too late for the vehicle occupants.

Why are the risks with autonomous vehicle any greater? The bigger question is 'Who is responsible when the vehicle is operating in autonomous mode?' Is it the manufacturer? Is it the owner? Is it the person legally in charge of the vehicle? The responsible person will be liable if the vehicle has not been properly maintained.

• Do not confuse. I mean only in autonomous systems of the vehicle. Therefore, a garage that is not formed to be able to receive an autonomous vehicle at all and should be enforced and fluent. Because you describe a luxury vehicle that is autonomous entered every little malfunction and a hostel of your car. I do not think normal to bring a car with smart systems for a unlist garage and such a client will end
  • Is identifying the autonomous systems on a vehicle like identifying the conscious part of a human?

It sounds like a simple thing to do, but people have been struggling with it for years.
  • Indeed Simon, that was my point. What are specifically safety related autonomous components compared to other safety related components?

The road speed measuring system is not so critical for a human (other than to avoid speeding fines) as we will tend to use visual judgement and experience for braking distances and cornering speeds. In an autonomous system for speed-stopping distance calculations it may be critical, especially in long tunnels or other GPS deadzones.
  • Roger Bryant:

The road speed measuring system is not so critical for a human

This is open to debate. My experience is that on coming off a motorway (or autoroute/expressway/autobahn, depending on the country you are in), it is very difficult to judge the speed appropriately for the first few minutes without a speedometer to assist. Similarly on a new motorbike I once nearly came a cropper on a bend because I was used to judging speed on the old (smaller) motorbike from the engine noise and took a bend at about 50% higher speed than intended.

• Dear Simon Barker,

An autonomous vehicle is a world in its entirety. And I will explain

What are the technical challenges of autonomous cars?

One of the biggest challenges for robot cars is responding correctly in all situations. To do this they need to know their environment accurately and process the data quickly. The requirements are different depending on whether the car is on the highway, on the highway or in the city.

The current Audi A8 has only 24 different sensor systems, including five radar sensors and six cameras, for its cork pilot, which can travel at speeds of up to 60 mph for Autonomy 3.

The vehicles have high-performance computers so that the data can be processed quickly. In addition, it should be possible to electronically control the components needed for travel. These include the engine, transmission, brakes and steering wheel as well as the attachment of all safety systems. Despite the equipment, the Audi A8 cannot perform complex driving maneuvers - it only follows its path in traffic jams. And even that is currently legally prohibited in the EU: this is why the assistant is shut down in the factory.

Another problem with autonomous driving is the weather and often uncoordinated road traffic. Autonomous vehicles not only need to function properly in the sun, but also in heavy rain, fog and snow. Also on paved roads with and without markings.

What technical equipment do autonomous cars need?

Camcorders provide real images of the environment with streets, road signs and other road users. They also help the autonomous system correctly estimate the distance to objects. Autonomous vehicles usually have five cameras, one in the front, one in the back and one on each side. There is also a camcorder for driver monitoring. Depending on the level of autonomy, for example, he may not be asleep while driving.

Radar sensors that are in the vehicle measure the distance to other road users and objects. Low and high sensors calculate different distances. This is why a car needs some of them - in different places. The beeping ultrasound sensors are now known as parking aids.

Leader sensors (light detection and ranges) on the roof scan the track ahead. The optical measurement system fires invisible laser beams and calculates the trajectory of the rear beams reflected from an obstacle. Leader sensors use laser beams instead of radio waves like radar. Your advantage: the long term. Unlike ultrasound, leader sensors "see" up to 200 meters, even at night. Leader sensors therefore complement radar sensors.

The car is located exactly with a GPS system. The system always knows where it is - not only on which street, but also in which lane. This is essential for directing vehicles. For optimal routing, accurate street maps within a range of two inches and a fast navigation system are also needed.

However, the different systems not only need to work reliably individually, they must also work together. Like an airplane, the systems must also protect themselves from total failure using an unnecessary structure, which is why most test vehicles have combined two cable systems. This prevents the system from failing if the cable is damaged.

A garage with professional and in-depth knowledge cannot provide a solution to the customer with the slightest malfunction.
  • I agree with you but it should be noted that most of the theory you present does not reflect reality this means that all sensors are dependent on the control unit and this means that despite a fault in one of the sensors it is not necessarily a fault and it may very well be a spiral fault and the whole problem is updating the control unit. I come from this field and from life experience I have raised a topic for criticism to hear