This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Autonomous vehicles

Hi all friends,

I wanted to know if all garages that provide repair service are licensed to repair autonomous vehicles?

If not, please provide reasons.

I ask the community because if the garage has been authorized by the Ministry of Transport to repair cars I do not see it as a matter of training licensees for professional knowledge (of course up to a certain threshold), because the world of autonomy requires a good few years to know how the sensors work and I believe a person Normative In order to obtain permission for this, an employee with the rank of mechanical engineer from the automation section will be employed.

I would love to get factual and genuine answers that reflect actual reality
  • Why take a risk. An autonomous vehicle consists of smart systems so that a garage performs a mechanical repair and there is a problem later that is not related the customer comes out disappointed and when he complains the garage can get tangled up because initially such a vehicle was not allowed to be repaired. You do not think I'm right?
  • Unless the auto repair industry sets up a licencing system for repair technicians like the aircraft industry along with all the relevant documentation nothing will change. There is nothing to stop you or I working on safety related parts of a vehicle such as the braking and steering systems. Why isn’t there a requirement for licenced auto repair technicians? I suggest that both the risk and severity of any likely incidents are low. The majority of road vehicle accidents are caused by the driver, not vehicle failures.

Trying just put special requirements  for the sensor systems will not gain anything. If the control system is correctly designed (I doubt if they will be) conflicting sensor information should cause the automatic system to request a return to manual control or to not change to automatic control. The Boing 737 Max problem is a good example of a badly thought out safety related control system.

• Benyamin Davodian:

A garage with professional and in-depth knowledge cannot provide a solution to the customer with the slightest malfunction.

They will do what they already do for any other complex electronic system on a modern car.  Plug in the diagnostic computer.  Ask it what the fault is.  Replace the faulty part.  Re-start the car and check that the on-board computer says it is happy.

No in-depth knowledge of autonomous vehicle technology is needed.  Only enough data to know which part to swap.

• This is not always true (I also explained in previous forums) and I will explain: for example a fault lamp is on and I connect a diagnostic computer to an OBD socket and I see fault number P0403 and as you say I replace the exhaust gas cycle valve and still the fault exists it means not always reality (theory) reflects The practical and it means what exactly a professional person should perform before starting the sensor replacement and it means first check engine management software update (first stage), second stage check the sensor resistance at um meter and then draw conclusions. I if experience over 30 years in the automotive industry know in 100% garages replace parts only because a diagnostic device recorded a certain fault and like a straight mechanic / technician parrot replaces the part and it is incorrect and mismanagement. Any person who will be working very hard for a livelihood and it does not make sense that unprofessionalism will come on the client’s pocket. The sensors can show some malfunction but does not necessarily mean that the sensor is not working properly because the sensors are noisy from signals from additional sensors and this can be confusing, so as I explained above should be super professional and work in stages.
  • I would think for insurance  integrity ,that only the brand authorised dealer can repair/certify its automatous driving systems/electronics , its also becoming evident that the car maker will be liable for any faults in the autonomous driving system .

Generally I am not a fan of autonomous driving technology , I think it will cause a lot of people to lose their jobs , once proven on the car its not a big jump for it to spread to buses or HGVs
  • I can see the possibility of 'road by wire' becoming 'maintenance by wire' which will eventually pass the liability onto the vehicle design and maintenance software designers/engineers. The rest of us will most likely have to learn new/old skills such as auto sports, rallying, vintage car building.

Legh
  • Helios:

Generally I am not a fan of autonomous driving technology , I think it will cause a lot of people to lose their jobs , once proven on the car its not a big jump for it to spread to buses or HGVs 

Hmm...don't think it's our biggest problem in society at the moment. Firstly I'd suggest we are considerable time away from that; the technology is one thing, the safety engineering is quite another. And secondly jobs evolve, it happens. If we think that's "wrong" then we're best off giving up engineering! 

• You have to understand, the world is advancing and I think it's a big step in accident prevention using autonomous vehicles. 

Who agrees with me?
  • What do you intend to study ?