This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

S'fix Visit Today.

The famous supplier of plumbing, electrical and D.I.Y. stuff has removed all of its laminated catalogues that were previously on display, and some staff are wearing those sweaty black plastic gloves. Also the short pencils are no more. Also there is a one metre distance rule being enforced.

Z.
  • No sitting on the counter?

Andy B

• Sparkingchip:

No sitting on the counter?

Andy B

And NO blinkin tea or coffee either.

Z.

• Glad to see someone is taking it seriously. Those of us on call that may need to attend customer’s houses have a pack containing gloves, face masks, alcohol based hand cleanser, disinfectant wipes, and a disinfectant spray. 

Regards,

Alan.
  • They would prefer you to do click and collect to reduce the risks. I very much doubt we shall be working much longer, got take each day as it comes.
  • I think if it reaches the state of having the next generation paying back loans for the next 50 years to have no-one working for this one, and indeed a rise in assaults, stress related illness, divorce and so forth due to inactivity, we have rather missed the point altogether, I hope someone is properly calculating the cost of casualties that will arise.

Even at a million pounds a life it is looking expensive to only save half a million fatalities.

• mapj1:

I think if it reaches the state of having the next generation paying back loans for the next 50 years to have no-one working for this one, and indeed a rise in assaults, stress related illness, divorce and so forth due to inactivity, we have rather missed the point altogether, I hope someone is properly calculating the cost of casualties that will arise.

Even at a million pounds a life it is looking expensive to only save half a million fatalities.

• So Peter Hitchen's entire argument is that because the data so far is uncertain, we should not do anything. If the most optimistic figures turn out right we can look back smugly. If they turn out wrong, well its only 600,000 people die (compared with 20,000-ish annually from the flu). Ho hum.

• mapj1:

I think if it reaches the state of having the next generation paying back loans for the next 50 years to have no-one working for this one, and indeed a rise in assaults, stress related illness, divorce and so forth due to inactivity, we have rather missed the point altogether, I hope someone is properly calculating the cost of casualties that will arise.

Ever the scientist! ?

I think that was the approach which HMG was taking - balance the lives saved against the social and financial costs.

Italy seems to be on the way to tens of thousands of deaths based upon the graphs to date. Nothing can stop that.

Some traffic on the roads this evening when I went for my run. Where were all these people going to? Were the journeys "necessary"?

Mrs P is old, I am full of youthful vigour but mildly asthmatic - we are isolating as far as possible.

Against all that, some folk have to work and I expect to be at work on Tuesday. The aim is to provide (ASAP) telephone conferencing or some means of working at home. Not ideal, but probably feasible.

Unfortunately, there are limitations. Yes, sparks (like clinicians) probably could give advice by 'phone or on line (with or without customers' photographs). E.g. leave such and circuit off and make do with another one. So what if you have to boil a kettle upstairs! But at other times, attendance will be necessary, which is why sparks are "key workers".

• Interesting. Our government is closing our island to non-residents from 9am tomorrow, following the first person to test positive for coved-19 without a recent off-island travel history. Returning residents have to spend 14 days in quarantine at home, or face possible prosecution. We are providing no-supply and emergency response cover from home from tomorrow. 

Regards,

Alan.
  • I'm effectively out of work as of thursday when i started to develop a sore throat. Day 4 I think it is now... and the tickly cough is productive, but likely not THAT virus... [temp is normal]. But by the time I have been symptom free for 14 days i fully expect the UK to be shut right down. Colleague and I may do some emergency calls tho if permitted.  The safety pack is a VERY good idea (one we've been implementing since last Monday. Sanitize when entering and leaving property, gloves and mask on. Customer to stay preferably in another room.

The worst bit was, no tea and coffee!