This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Some comments please

OK chaps. Bearing in mind this is in Thailand would you be overly concerned, yes it does have a metal cover over the works.

This is a custom board made to fit in a particularly awkward space, I have a local colleague who is branding it "unsafe" but is really unable to explain what his issues are.

Thoughts?

EDIT Please ignore the Schneider labelling on the box, the guts is all non-standard it was just cheaper to buy a suitable unit and remove the works than to get a custom one made.

17281b1ac7b443a61a913d0962525d97-huge-1487305315_afcinstallation27062562_190629_0009.jpg.20baaa8f51b5ce1284911d2cb849f59b.jpg

• Hello, some thoughts below...

Cant read the writing on the incomer but is it wired backwards? 

How are all the earths managed? 

Are the busbar connections up to the job (locknuts, area.  etc) 

I assume the metal cover covers everything except the protruding parts of the switches.  If you have to remove the cover to operate the switches then there are too many live parts that can be touched for my liking.

Cant see an earth on the case either or a provision for fly lead to earth the cover

Cabling is neat enough but if loaded anywhere near its free air rating heat will be a problem in those bundles.

Hope this helps.

Reminds me of one of those 'spot the difference puzzles' and no doubt other will raise more questions.

Peter

• As you have asked for thoughts, I will provide mine (assuming that the missing Q10 will be installed in due course).
    1. The enclosure should have an earth connection. This may be there and just not visible on the photograph.(Late edit - I have just spotted the earth connection but can't tell if it is a suitable size)

2. The perspex cover shields the upstream terminals of the CBs but not the downstream terminals, so when they are closed it is possible to stick a screwdriver onto the live connection.

3. The neutral connection block is not shielded.

4. The incoming terminals for the main CB are not shielded and will not be isolated by opening the CB.

5. It is possible (though perhaps not easy) to reach round the perspex shield and touch the bus-bars.

Could the installation be made safer?  I would say 'Yes'.

Would I be overly concerned?  Probably not, provided the panel is only accessed by competent persons. However I am not familiar with the local Thai regulations which it could fall foul of.

Alasdair
  • I  have seen much worse.

I think that there is an inner cover or shield of transparent plastic that covers most of the live parts including the load side of the main switch and the busbars.

I do wonder why the numerous factory made neutral connections are in black wire with blue sleeved ends. Applying all those blue sleeves must be tedious compared to use of blue wire.
  • Thailand, so I assume 220V/400V, like here, but not sure about TT or TNC-S supply.  Does one consider the neutral to be potentially dangerous as we do here ?

How do the wires get attached to the bus, and how do they get through the perspex cover ?

There is a single point of failure if the incoming neutral drops off, and that is quite a lot of outbound circuits - how close to overloading the internal incoming wiring are we? Equally I do not think it looks that bad. It may not be standard UK method, but for example compared to South America, this is very high class.how is the not fitted cover earthed  when fitted?
  • The most obvious is no cover over the incoming supply.

• mapj1:

compared to South America, this is very high class.  how is the not fitted cover earthed  when fitted?

Agree that compared to some regions, this is a very competent installation. With regard to the front metal door, my personal opinion would be that there are no live components fitted/attached to the door and so the fixings (bolts?) should be a sufficient earth path. Others are free to argue otherwise.

Alasdair

• The CBs look more like DP RCBOs with a 5th earth reference terminal, although Its difficult to be sure from the picture

The enclosure appears to be earthed by a connection at the top, but the earthing bar appears to be outside the distribution enclosure in what appears to be poorly made off floor trunking.

The most obvious deviations are the lack of covers over the input terminals at the isolator and neutral bar and the lack of access to the earthing bar.

Legh

• Well, the thing looks as if it has been installed upside down?
  • Thanks guys.

You pretty much concur with my thoughts, no major hazard although not exactly how I would have achieved the same result. 

I've still not found out what the alleged deadly hazard is supposed to be as the man in question has now gone-to-ground and isn't answering his phone.

I will report back just for interests sake if I ever find out what his problem is.

I now have a different priority, a 4m gap has turned out as 3.85m during construction and the client's consultant is complaining it will affect our evacuation route (the gap is fed by a 2.5m staircase). Oh well, onwards and upwards.

• My worry would be all those thin wires (with apparently just basic insulation) close to the main bus-bars - I can't tell the rating of the incomer form the picture, but I'd have concerns that it may well not protect those wires from fault adequately. (UK RCBOs with a N tail have the tail going into the top side of the RCBO - i.e. away from the bus-bar).

You can get bus-bars for the "two terminals in 1 module width" arrangement (they're common in France) - for me that would have been preferable to lots of thin wires.

- Andy.