UK Smart motorway, at least 79 people killed.

UK Smart motorway, at least 79 people killed.

This is though provoking stuff.  How has it been allowed to continue?

Parents
  • It doesn't seem that long ago we were worrying about the safety of hard shoulders - too many cases slightly tired HGV drivers seeing a vehicle ahead of them in the lane to the left subconsciously thinking they must be in lane 2 and so moving left ... and crunch. So the advise if you did stop on the hard shoulder was to get out, climb any barrier and onto the grass verge a.s.a.p..

- Andy.

• One way to ease congestion would be to prosecute anyone hogging the middle lane when the inside lane is clear and those who overtake whilst travelling at 0.5mph faster than the vehicle they're overtaking. I don't think the death penalty is too draconian in either case!

• Well, the problem at present is people thinking their speedo is correct . Says 70 but you are only doing 63 in the fast lane. 

I normally flash the misguided driver who usually indicates left and moves over.  As a last resort I may overtake him on the middle or even slow lane as he obviously is unaware that there is any other traffic on the motorway apart from his selfish self.

• Yes, all speedos have tolerances and given that its not legal to sell a car that under-reads speed, all manufacturers set up the speedos to over-read. The % overread depends what speed you are doing and the manufacturer. Depending on how they measure speed, it can be impacted by the pressure of your tyres, wear and tear on various engine parts or sensor lag. 

However, if you driver an EV, its more efficient to go at 50-55 mph otherwise you will drain the batteries faster. Unless you have one of the rare EVs with a gearbox that supports efficient motorway cruising.

• I don't think I could put up with driving that slow.  My Renault Zoe will still deliver decent economy up to 60-65 MPH.  If I'm heading home, and the "guessometer" on the dashboard reads more than the miles remaining on the satnav, then I'll stick my foot down and do 70.

• I don't think I could put up with driving that slow.  My Renault Zoe will still deliver decent economy up to 60-65 MPH.  If I'm heading home, and the "guessometer" on the dashboard reads more than the miles remaining on the satnav, then I'll stick my foot down and do 70.

Children
No Data