UK Smart motorway, at least 79 people killed.

UK Smart motorway, at least 79 people killed.

This is though provoking stuff.  How has it been allowed to continue?

Parents
  • I agree with Andy - you've always got to be careful about half-a-story headlines - it could equally have read something like 'Smart Motorways reduces death rate from 109 to 79' (or whatever the numbers happen to be) and painted quite a different picture.

No reason why we can't do better though.

There do seem to be a very high rate of "power failures" though - higher than I would have expected from say a normal grid supply, with reasonably modern cabling (unlike the rotting PILC we have feeding houses around here) - so maybe there's more going on that the journalists explain? PSUs going phut? Poor procedures meaning someone's pulling the wrong fuse or flicking the wrong MCB and it's going unnoticed? Or is it more of a software problem that's been lumped together with other things in the reporting system?

Sometimes I think that if we were to design from scratch a transport system, using the technology we have available today, we wouldn't come up with anything like what we actually have.

- Andy.

• I agree with Andy - you've always got to be careful about half-a-story headlines - it could equally have read something like 'Smart Motorways reduces death rate from 109 to 79' (or whatever the numbers happen to be) and painted quite a different picture.

No reason why we can't do better though.

There do seem to be a very high rate of "power failures" though - higher than I would have expected from say a normal grid supply, with reasonably modern cabling (unlike the rotting PILC we have feeding houses around here) - so maybe there's more going on that the journalists explain? PSUs going phut? Poor procedures meaning someone's pulling the wrong fuse or flicking the wrong MCB and it's going unnoticed? Or is it more of a software problem that's been lumped together with other things in the reporting system?

Sometimes I think that if we were to design from scratch a transport system, using the technology we have available today, we wouldn't come up with anything like what we actually have.

- Andy.

Children
No Data