Lane Keeping Assist

We have just replaced our 15 year old VW Touran diesel with a T-Cross 1.0 TSi. This is, as all new cars, fitted with lane keeping assist. I was wondering what would happen if it got confused? Could I, or my wife, fight it and win. Looking at the Bosch variant it either uses the electric power steering, if fitted, or brakes individual wheels using the ESP.

https://www.bosch-mobility.com/en/solutions/assistance-systems/lane-keeping-assist/

“Lane keeping assist uses a video camera to detect the lane markings ahead of the vehicle and to monitor the vehicle's position in its lane. If the vehicle’s distance to the lane markings falls below a defined minimum, the system steps in. In vehicles with electric power steering, it gently, but noticeably countersteers in order to keep the vehicle in the lane. In vehicles without electric power steering, it achieves the same effect by utilizing the electronic stability program (ESP®) to brake individual wheels.

Drivers can override the function at all times, so they retain control of the vehicle. If they activate the turn signal in order to intentionally change lanes or turn, the system does not intervene.”

I am fairly happy with these various assist systems so long as the appropriate risk assessment and performance level calculations have been carried out, so not designed like the Boing anti stall system.

Some while ago I started a thread on EVs apparently becoming immobilised due to battery or other failures.

https://engx.theiet.org/f/discussions/28694/evs-immobilised-by-flat-batteries-or-breakdowns

The new car has a DSG transmission and the selector lever is locked in Park when the ignition is switched off. It requires 12V to be available to release it, so flat battery and the car is immobilized. Reading deeply in the handbook it can be released with a screwdriver (supplied with the car but buried under the spare wheel) by opening a flap in front of the (conventional) hand brake lever. Who, other than an Aspergers spectrum engineer, would actually look that up?

Parents
  • As an old fogy who's first car had no automation apart from the points and coil providing a spark. Since then I have owned and maintained, mainly my three daughter's, cars with increasing levels of electronics and complexity.  In every case there have been problems caused by damp, connection problems and hardware errors in the clever electronic bits. Given the hostile environment of a car, especially as it gets older, I do not see any attempt being made to ruggedise components by design or manufacture. Many car designs appear to be made to fail with all the connections and computers located where they will get wet when the sunroof drains block or a seal gets damaged or mislaid during maintenance with no attempt being made to damp proof the components. I worked on one car where there had been recalls to stick bits of polythene sheets to stop condensation entering  multiple computers

The result is that I am concerned  that all these "aids" stand a chance of failing to danger when the car is older irrespective of maintenance. Even if they fail will the driver be expecting them to work and have an incident as a result. I read the odd aircraft accident report and if aircraft systems can fail with all the redundancy,  regulations, testing and strict maintenance schedules and procedures what chance does a car built the lowest price stand when it is few years old.

My sister in law recently got rid of her new car as she could not work out how to work all the aids that made her feel she had no control over the car and kept sounding warning sounds that she did not know what they were for  and distracted her from driving. 

I read that people are now questioning the safety of the touch screens for basic controls when compared to simple switches or rotary controls. I must admit I have to look away from the road to alter my heating in my car which I never had to do with the old rotary controls with set positions. 

I feel that progress is often being made for the sake of progress rather than safety.

• The first MOT is when the vehicle is over 3 years old then on the anniversary of its last MOT for the UK.  Before this time the vehicle is deemed to be OK.  Some people change their car at 3 years so they don't need to get MOT.

• Good, I just wish more did..... it may in fact be be a minority but you do not need that many badly adjusted vehicles to cause a problem.

That and the odd cyclists that have very bright flashing white lights that make it impossible to see what side of the road they are on  as the view  alternates between either a blinding white sheet or total darkness, changing too fast so  the eye is adapted to neither.  Probably OK in a built up area where street lighting means the contrast between the 2 states is less,  but not sensible on a country road.

M.

• Cyclists are supposed to (by law I believe) have static lights on their bikes as well as flashing ones if they choose to have them as well. They shouldn't just have flashing lights, especially at the rear and definitely not at the front! How on earth can they see where they're going!

• ah but... cycling is not something they can take your licence away for, so enforcement, and for that matter propagation of the rules to cyclists , is pretty weak. Again, it may be a minority, but as with many things, you only need a few to spoil it.

And flashing lights have been permitted since 2005 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/2559/made

Mike.

• Just posting an update - looks like there is going to be a review:

• Is someone at

theguardian or RAC

reading these IET forum threads?

I look forward to the findings of the headlight glare report.  It about time this issue was resolved on the UK roads

• Ha ha! Maybe they are! Grinning Should be an interesting read when it comes out.

• Should be an interesting read when it comes out.

I'm certainly looking forward to it! 

• Feels like its been kicked into the long grass. Or lets be seen to be doing something but actually do nothing. It really isnt difficult to check that new cars have their headlights adjusted properly rather than waiting for the MoT in three years.  Tesla are some of the worst.  Clearly there has been a delta change recently and DfT are not on it

• Tesla also have parts falling of the cars.  Been quite a few stories on the internet stating wheel arches falling off some when they are on the motorway. 

• Tesla also have parts falling of the cars.  Been quite a few stories on the internet stating wheel arches falling off some when they are on the motorway. 

Children
No Data