This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Are high heels "necessary and appropriate" in a workplace?

On Monday a group of women submitted a petition to the Japanese government to protest against what they say is a de facto requirement for female staff to wear high heels at work. The #KuToo campaign – a play on words from the Japanese kutsu, meaning shoes, and kutsuu, meaning pain – was launched by the actor and freelance writer Yumi Ishikawa and quickly won support online. In the petition, Ishikawa states that high heels can cause women a number of health issues, and had become a burden to her employment, stating "I hope this campaign will change the social norm so that it won't be considered to be bad manners when women wear flat shoes like men," Ishikawa told the BBC. Campaigners have said wearing high heels was considered to be near-obligatory when job hunting or working at many Japanese companies, and said the requirement of wearing high heeled shoes is akin to modern foot-binding.

Ishikawa told reporters: “Today we submitted a petition calling for the introduction of laws banning employers from forcing women to wear heels as sexual discrimination or harassment.”

On Wednesday, Japan’s health and labour minister, Takumi Nemoto, when asked to comment on the petition, defended workplaces that require women to wear high heels to work, arguing “It is socially accepted as something that falls within the realm of being occupationally necessary and appropriate”.

One commentator on the JapanToday website asked, “Why is it necessary? Heels are incredibly painful and serve no function whatsoever. Why can’t women just work without having to be some sort of eye-candy for someone else?” Others suggested that the minister should be required to wear high heels for a week to see if he enjoyed the experience (an option which I am sure would quickly result in a change in the law!)

A similar petition against high heels at work was signed by more than 150,000 people in the UK in 2016 after receptionist Nicola Thorp was sent home from work for wearing flat shoes (refusing to wear 2-4in heels). Thorp's case prompted an inquiry on workplace dress codes by a committee of MPs, which highlighted other cases in the UK where women were required to wear heels, even for jobs that included climbing ladders, carrying heavy luggage, carrying food and drink up and down stairs or walking long distances. The UK Government refused to change the law, claiming scope for redress already existed under the Equality Act 2010.

What strikes me as absolutely crazy is that this is an issue at all. In 2019, why are grown women considered seemingly incapable of making their own decisions about what they put on their feet in the morning?!

An article by Yamini Pustake Bhalerao I came across summarises this perfectly: "Many women love to wear high heels and for various reasons. Some wear it to add height to their stature. Others wear it because it makes them look sexy, while many think it adds a certain dimension to their personality. Then there are few, like me, who see high heels as the worst thing one could do to their feet. But the most important aspect, as it is with any accessory, is the agency to make a choice. We all choose or choose not to wear heels. When you remove this choice from the equation, high heels get reduced to yet another method to sexualise or objectify women. Foot fetish makes many men see women wearing heels as attractive. They are automatically perceived to be sexy, sharp and “presentable.” This, however, has nothing to do with their capabilities as a professional. Wearing high heels doesn’t make you a better doctor, engineer, lawyer or corporate woman. Thus, it makes no sense to make it compulsory for working women to wear it to work."

Read more at: 
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/05/high-heels-at-work-are-necessary-says-japan-labour-minister
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/06/06/japans-labour-minister-mocked-saying-high-heels-necessary-reasonable/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48534453
https://www.shethepeople.tv/blog/kutoo-movement-why-women-in-japan-want-to-get-rid-of-high-heels

• As others have said, there's absolutely nothing wrong in wearing a pair of high heeled shoes if it is your choice to and not an official dress code requirement. 

Let's use an alternative scenario as an example...

Female lifeguards... Would you insist that a female lifeguard  must wear a two piece bikini in order to perform her role? When in actual fact, she can perform her role just as adequately while wearing a one piece swimsuit, a tankini top and shorts, a swim dress or a wet or dry suit...?  

Still a water appropriate garment, just of a different style... ?
  • Amber, your coment about the image of needing to wear heels and a full face of make up reminded me of a book on job hunting I read in the early to mid 1990s.  It specifically advised young women (straight out of school, college or university) to wear obvious make up (i.e. not a 'natural' look) to a job interview, even if they didn't normally, to avoid "looking like a school girl in her mother's clothes".   Even as a callow youth of 23 or 24, and in those much less enlightened times, that struck me as an odd thing to say.
  • I came across another work-based dress code policy today... This one is from Russia, and a firm which is paying women a 100 rubles (£1.19) bonus if they wear a dress or skirt “no longer than 5cm from the knee”.  To claim the bonus women have to send a photo of themselves in their short skirt (with hair and make-up also done) to their boss each day. At the end of the month, the best-dressed woman will receive an additional prize on top of their daily bonus.

Anastasia Kirillova, who works in the company’s department of corporate culture and internal communications, said the idea for the campaign had come from CEO Sergei Rachkov. “Our team is 70 per cent male. These kinds of campaigns help us switch off, rest. This is a great way to unite the team. Many women automatically wear trousers to work, which is why we hope that our campaign will raise our ladies’ awareness, allowing them to feel their femininity and charm when they make the choice of wearing a skirt or dress. He [Rachkov] is very concerned about this issue – mixing gender roles, and he really wants to maintain the female essence in every female employee of the company, so that young women do not have male haircuts, do not change into trousers, so that they engage themselves in handicraft, project all their warmth into raising children.” According to Ms Kirillova, Mr Rackhov believes that women must be reminded of “what her main purpose is”.

It may be worth noting that Russia is one of the coldest countries in the world in the winter, with frosts of up to -30 degrees Celsius (-22 Fahrenheit) common in the Moscow area and getting even colder further North, which may go some way to explain why some women had been "automatically wearing trousers"! Also worth noting is the gender pay gap - in 2015, men earned an average of 38,600 rubles per month ($670). During the same period, women earned on average 28,000 rubles. 100 rubles extra a day over the course of a year is c24,000 rubles extra (100 x 5 x 48). To receive almost an extra month's worth of wages is quite a significant bonus.

Would you comply with this dress code for an extra month's wages?

Read more: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/women-russia-apparently-paid-bonuses-wear-short-skirts-work/
    https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2017/09/15/women-in-russia-earn-much-less-than-men-a58950

I'm actually speechless (for a change)...
  • Hey Evanna Gale‍!

If i wear a short skirt to work, take a photo of my self posing in it while made up to the nine's with my hair done, will you give me an extra £1.19 in my pay packet at the end of the month please? ?
  • Yikes! Please don't :)

I dread to think how I might even explain that to HR.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Please tell me this has changed over the last 2 years??!!

• Lisa Miles:

Hey Evanna Gale‍!

If i wear a short skirt to work, take a photo of my self posing in it while made up to the nine's with my hair done, will you give me an extra £1.19 in my pay packet at the end of the month please? ?

In the context of an extra £1.19, it is easy to dismiss this as something that isn't worth the reward, after all, £1.19 is about 1/3 of the price of a cup of coffee in some places... But in context of local currency/wages, the bonus here equates to almost a month's extra wages each year. Would you do it for an extra month's wages? Not even tempted? How about an extra year's wages? Although on a personal level, I disagree with the policy, I can completely understand why more than 60 women at the company have gone along with the scheme. If I could double my wage by donning a skirt and taking a selfie each morning, I would have to consider it for the financial benefit it would bring to me and my family. I was discussing this with colleagues today and one said that she would do it for a year's extra wages...but would refuse to shave for the entirety of the year (to help combat those cold Russian winter months!). Another said she would do it for a year's extra wages and then use the extra money to start a trouser-based business empire ?

So Lisa Miles‍, would you do it for double your wage...or is there no amount of money that could tempt you?

Same question to the guys in this chain too please... Edwin Morton‍  Stephen BoothDavid Houssein‍ - would you wear a short skirt to work if you could double your wages for the year?

• Hedy Fletcher:

Please tell me this has changed over the last 2 years??!!

Sadly not! It's a June 2019 story!

• Amber Thomas:

So Lisa Miles‍, would you do it for double your wage...or is there no amount of money that could tempt you?

Sorry Amber, no amount of money would tempt me to participate in a piece of blatant exploitation... In the same way that no amount of money would tempt me (in my younger years) to accept the countless offers of a 'glamour' modelling career. Believe me it was a weekly occurrence until I had surgery to 'reduce' the problem. ?

Now if you wanted to pay me extra for being really good at doing my job then I wouldn't turn that down obviously... ?