This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Are you professionally registered? What advice would you share with those starting out on their journey?

How did you find the process for applying for professional registration? What do you wish you had known as you worked toward professional registration?  Did you use Career Manager or a Mentor to help you with the process?

• I believe that perseverence in your professional endeavours, a strong focus on the professional elements of your engineering specialities, strong achievements in your employment record, and the mobility to be in the right place at the right time in order to sieze upon personal development opportunities, these are the essential requirements to becoming professionally registered.

Remember that experiences gained through the University of Life are worth much, much more than academic degrees (that are often obtained with little associated practical experience).

Don't hesitate to call upon the assistance that experienced IPRA's can provide, as their advice could be life changing for you.

My door is always open to those seeking my guidance and to gain the benefit of a lifetime spent in senior roles of the engineering profession as a Chartered Engineer, and, importantly, all achieved without holding a Master's Degree.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    We have a mentoring scheme in place to provide guidance to potential registrants.

Trevor Cockram

Sent from my iPad
  • Here are a few starters that come to mind for the young engineer:
    • Get a notebook, document all of your work and learning experiences - never stop writing

• Get out of the building - go into the field to see and feel the operations, equipment, etc. to understand the processes and what the operators and technicians do

• Find a Mentor

• Join the IET (if not already) and start using Career Manager

• Attend seminar, conferences, webinars

• Read

• As you learn and become confident , measure you competencies and use it to help and inspire others - give back.

Michael Ramesar, C.Eng. FIET