This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

We need your help to tackle the transport challenge!

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Our aim is not to “drain the ocean” in a few months but to add a voice of engineering insight to the debate, demolish potential myths and legends and suggest some sensible ways forward. We don’t expect to achieve pinpoint accuracy in our investigation, but we can be honest about that. We want to establish some genuine truths and point to where more work or funding should be focussed. We need more information and guidance to existing reliable reports and research on carbon in materials mining and manufacture, infrastructure provision, renewal and maintenance, and end of life recycling. Please share your thoughts by commenting below.
  • Roger Bryant:
    .... The figures achieved by motoring journalists are usually worse that the official figures as they will be ‘exploring’ the vehicles performance. The normal motorist may well achieve better figures than the official ones.

Having just got my first plug-in hybrid car, the figures may also be worse. Once you take into account geography (hills and corners), heavy right feet and especially cold weather my guess is 60 to 80% of what the manufacturer claims would be a start. I have also found that the actual charging rate from a 13A socket is only around 1 to 1.5kW, nowhere near the theoretical 2 or 3 (this is probably deliberate by the manufacturer so as not to risk overloading anything domestic). Proper 7kW charge socket is on order.