This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Energy and Climate paper - renewables, fossil, nuclear, hydro - the issues of dstribution

An interesting [long] read: https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/13/18/4839/htm

You might care to not read the opinion below (or the article). Sorry for the noise if so.

Opinion: I've always thought that #goinggreen was just an unacceptable 'cash cow' for vested interests to get rich on the back of poorly thought out political driven policies lacking in scientific rigour. If the 'planet is going to burn' without reducing fossil and moving to renewable, then anything 'we' do ought to be not for profit and for the world arguably.  PM Johnson's latest [and foolish?] bet on wind turbines (with all it's current and eventual revalations) and generally the pushing at all costs of  unfriendly battery EV and other tech (there must be better even if there are other challenges to over come) is just set to continue the ever increasing cost on the public purse for arguably little gain and more worryingly more 'damage' and for generations. It doesnt help when I recently read that there are surreptitious plans being considered to allow power gens. to turn off consumer power as and when they see fit  e.g. when it is likely many will be charging their EV cars  [rolls eyes in dismay].  They will do this by enforcing 3rd gen smart meters 'properly' connected up to allow this to happen.  If the current political nonsense and propoganda we have witnessed over the last 8 months or so relating to health, gets a hold in climate change (and how to address it and it probably already has) then perhaps the game is already up.

Rhetorically: Is nuclear the best bet for the planet at the moment (especially if ever they can crack clean[er] fusion). There are challenges to HFC based tech, but as it stands for EV and local power cell, it appeals more to me if the brilliant minds can sort it out. Is battery EV tech going to cripple us on many fronts. Can the UK grid cope. Wind turbines and solar come with so many ifs and buts they should not be relied on. Is this post in the wrong forum ! (apologies if it is - still the link above is related).

Best regards. Habs

• The problem OMS is that we are not really looking at small modular reactors. and the H&S boys are doing their best to make them impossible. Rolls Royce are doing some work I hear, and the nuclear subs prove that they are both very safe and practical. However, I can hear the fuss now if I put one on some spare land near my house, even if I paid for it myself. There would be a level of shouting which would make BLM look like a picnic. Large normal reactors are the way to go, but time is against us. Perhaps we should start an IET reactor group to push them forward?
  • But large conventional reactors take years to build, at a ridiculously large cost.  Then after a few decades, when they are to old to keep going, you have to pay another fortune to get rid of them.  And we still don't know what to do with all the nuclear waste they create.

There's got to be something better.
  • Sizewell C 3200M/We takes 9-12 years to build at approx. £20 Billion and completes in 2031

Hinkley C same bit of kit as Sizewell in 2025 and forecast to last for 60 years

Good timing as the PV's installed in the last decade or so will be failing in there masses at huge recycling costs. (not so Green!)

Turbine blades last 20 years. 

Huge future bills!

Not saying nuclear doesn't have huges end of life costs, EV, PV and Wind all have huge costs too.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Andy's remarks misrepresent the contents of the paper.

Energy efficiency is in fact discussed in section 4.1. 

The discussion of Malthusianism versus cornucopianism is also worth reading. Andy's summary is nonsensical. 

The authors make no apologies for a lack of creativity. We are researchers, not novelists. We have focused on those technologies that have received huge sums in the name of climate change expenditure, rather than emerging technologies such as hydrogen. 

We recommend that people read the paper for yourselves, rather than relying on Andy's inaccurate remarks. The whole paper is meticulously referenced, citing the research in engineering, environment, energy and climate policy.

For a brief summary of the paper, please see:
    https://medium.com/@ronan_51814/surprising-science-theres-no-such-thing-as-clean-energy-9f6f02081c0
  • Coilin

I agree with you

Andy doesn't mention that all the new tech uses masses of fossil fuels to manufacture and deploy and will do again in the future when it comes to disposal. And makes no case for the poor souls mining the Cobalt and Lithium

I'm no expert but my gut feeling tells me this whole CO2 reducing tech is bonkers and one day will be seen as exactly that. Anyway I read that by far the largest green house effect comes from water vapour.
  • Jon Steward:

Coilin

I agree with you

Andy doesn't mention that all the new tech uses masses of fossil fuels to manufacture and deploy and will do again in the future when it comes to disposal. And makes no case for the poor souls mining the Cobalt and Lithium

I'm no expert but my gut feeling tells me this whole CO2 reducing tech is bonkers and one day will be seen as exactly that. Anyway I read that by far the largest green house effect comes from water vapour.

But the "masses" of fossil fuels required to create wind turbines or solar panels are vastly less that the fossil fuels that would be burned to generate the equivalent amount of energy.

But the people who hate renewables will keep coming up with bogus statistics in order to justify their hatred.

• " ...coming up with bogus statistics in order to justify their hatred"

That's a very common challenge and use of words observed these days - bogus, hatred etc- and levelled sometimes at competent and expert folks, when differences of  opinion or contention arise that don't fit the personal or 'chosen' mainstream narrative/causes where no other opinion but that is allowed.

The way forward for me is to listen to *all* competent 'sides' and form a view from there. Wisely (or not) I tend not to just accept the spoon fed narratives or populist stuff one hears in the mainstream media etc on a lot of issues.

Nuclear and hydrogen [fuel cell] make a lot of sense over [warning, opinion] a lot of current and poor renewables which seem extremely costly for little return (other than for the those profiteering*) and have current and/or latent environmental issues themselves.

*Then there is the issue of vested interest profiteering on all new energy tech, when stuff like this ought to be not-for-profit and given to the world at cost if its cause is about 'saving' it.

Peace.

Habs
  • Coilín:

Andy's remarks misrepresent the contents of the paper.

Energy efficiency is in fact discussed in section 4.1. 

The discussion of Malthusianism versus cornucopianism is also worth reading. Andy's summary is nonsensical. 

The authors make no apologies for a lack of creativity. We are researchers, not novelists. We have focused on those technologies that have received huge sums in the name of climate change expenditure, rather than emerging technologies such as hydrogen. 

We recommend that people read the paper for yourselves, rather than relying on Andy's inaccurate remarks. The whole paper is meticulously referenced, citing the research in engineering, environment, energy and climate policy. 

Ref efficiency, maybe I should have said "not as emphasised anything like as much as I would have done". Fair enough.

Re Malthus, obviously I disagree with you on this, and personally I consider it is incredibly important to question the assumption that Mathusian catastrophes will always be avoided by "someone else's" action.

(I do admit on re-reading it that my paragraph on this was unnecessarily sarcastic in tone, and I certainly apologise for that.)

But absolutely people should read this paper for themselves, amongst many others.

And question solutions by all means, no issue in the field of environmental issues has a simple solution. But I personally feel that questioning existing solutions implies a need to propose an viable alternative, which is where the creativity comes in, otherwise it's back the status quo which is not a good place to be. However, of course you can disagree by all means.

I don't intend to take any further part in this discussion, I think I've made the points I wanted to make and have no interest in having a row for the sake of having a row. It's just very frustrating that it feels like every time these forums start discussing potential solutions to reduce CO2 emissions they get shot down by statements that "that won't work" without ever proposing an alternative (not really true, there have been some interesting ideas come up, it just often feels that way). I think what you saw in my post was that frustration coming out...and please, better an imperfect solution than no solution...

Andy

I hereby challenge Simon Barker to identify any "bogus statistics" in this paper.

As first author, I spent many many hours searching in Google Scholar, through hundreds of research papers, to find objective answers to our questions about the properties of all of the common energy technologies, comparing estimates of carbon emissions, power density and environmental impacts of each one. I also searched diligently for papers arguing an intense tug-of-war regarding the feasibility of different proposed pathways to decarbonization, and read this rigorous debate very closely, back and forth from one perspective to the other. The results of this literature review are presented in figures and tables, with detailed discussion of all the pros and cons in the text. Every statistic and statement in the paper is referenced, with a total of 255 citations. 

I have no vested interest. I challenge all comers to identify any erroneous or misleading detail. But here's the real challenge: You've got to read the research before you can say what's so.