This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Four engineers, past or present, who would you invite to a dinner party?

If there’s one thing I’ve missed during the pandemic lockdown it’s having friends over (or going over to friends’ houses) for dinner. I’m not a particularly brilliant cook but I do like to experiment and as the sign on my kitchen wall says… Many people have eaten here and survived… ?

We always like to play the ‘Dinner Party’ game where everyone chooses four people from a specific profession (Actors, Musicians, Politicians, Cartoon Characters, which of the James Bonds etc) that they would invite to a dinner party and explain why they've chosen that person. 

So it got me thinking…

Which four engineers from both past and present (and maybe even from this community) would you choose to invite to your dinner party?

In the spirit of sharing, here’s my four:

Nikola Tesla – I’d like to know if the rivalry between him and Edison was really as bitter as they say.

Elon Musk -  Anyone who can make a rocket take off and then land perfectly again is worth having an interesting chat with in my book!
Andy Millar‍  – I’ve never actually met Andy but we’ve had quite a few conversations online. It would be great to finally sit and have a chat in person. 
OMS‍  – I think we have a very similar taste in music so no complaints about the Dinner Party playlist there. ?

So... who’s coming to dinner at your house and why? 

• Some great choices - For me (because I think they'd be interesting to meet, if nothing else):

Sir Tim Berners-Lee

Trevor Bayliss

Nikola Tesla

Ada Lovelace

Would love to see what Ada thought about modern computing and the role of women in STEM!
  • Some interesting choices everyone! I'm making a note to read up more on Claudia Parson John Beirne‍ as she sounds like an interesting lady... ?

Wondering who Roy Bowdler‍ and Jeremy Watson‍ would invite to dinner too?
  • If I could include a fifth guest I'd also love to chat with Vinton Cerf.
  • Alasdair Anderson:

I think I would avoid having engineers from too similar fields and so would avoid Andy's first choice (especially Watt and Trevithick together - I believe that Trevithick used to go into hiding when Watt was around, though that was more to do with avoiding being served with a subpoena, or the 18th Century equivalent, than  cowardice).

Hi Alasdair,

That's why I thought it would be rather fun! All four were essential to the development of steam technology, yet all four appear to be very different characters with very different approaches - very much the Belbin team model, except that they were never able to shine as a group. So it would be fascinating to see how they interact. And so would shed some real light on their characters.

Cheers,

Andy

• No-one's mentioned Alexander Graham Bell, I get the impression he was a very interesting and thoughtful person (it was Vinton Cerf's deafness that reminded me).

Cheers,

Andy
  • Well where do you start, with only four places? 

I would have to have more than one dinner party. 

Tommy Flowers would by my first choice, just to find out how he started with a box of GPO relays and ended where he did. Also to see his reaction to where technology has moved to, today. 

Sir Frank Whittle would be next, I can only imagine the tails to be told on the development of in essence a controllable bomb, in a shed, without computer modelling and all the other modern design aides. 

John Bartlett would be number 3, to be able to ask what was going through his mind when he agreed to the idea that digging a 21 mile tunnel under a body of water was not only feasible but very possible and just to make it interesting they would start at both sides to meet somewhere in the middle. 

Elon Musk makes it to fourth place. Well this guy has seen more of his money blow up on a launch pad than most people will see in a lifetime, he’s taken the space program to another level, that has only been seen done by state funded organisations up to now.

Maybe next time there will be a bigger table. 

• Matt Whitehall:

Maybe next time there will be a bigger table. 

A bigger table would help in one way, but too many people and the conversation splits into groups making it impossible to follow everyone. I think four is a good number as even with seven guests (plus the host) there can be problems with several simultaneous conversations.

The more I think about this, the more I realise that having engineers with little commonality is not going to work as you would need a monologue from individuals. I might revise my earlier comment about not having engineers from the same field as Andy is right - with Watt and Trevithick at the table the problem would not be keeping the conversation going but rather keeping it to just conversation without any physical blows being struck.

• This thread is making me want a series of dinner parties :)
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Lisa Miles:

In the spirit of sharing, here’s my four:

Nikola Tesla – I’d like to know if the rivalry between him and Edison was really as bitter as they say.

Elon Musk -  Anyone who can make a rocket take off and then land perfectly again is worth having an interesting chat with in my book!
    Andy Millar‍  – I’ve never actually met Andy but we’ve had quite a few conversations online. It would be great to finally sit and have a chat in person. 
    OMS‍  – I think we have a very similar taste in music so no complaints about the Dinner Party playlist there. ?

Can I bring Hedy Lamarr as my +1 ?

OMS