This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Why has discussion on the alleged "Climate Emergency" been shut down?

I want to know why, and who shut down the most viewed topic in the Club forum. Its Engineering content is obvious, and very large indeed. The answer to the problem is supposedly Electricity, and yet we cannot discuss it!
  • OMS "what we first need is an energy debate to decide what is it that society actually needs"

OMS, I couldn't agree more with your statement. A fundamental aspect of project delivery is to frame a project accurately, and set out the boundary conditions and the required outcomes. 

As a framing statement I believe "energy and electricity supply should be reliable, universally available on demand, and affordable to the whole population".

Current framing is focused on the requirement that "energy must to be zero carbon by 2050". This aim puts at risk and makes subservient the societal, humanitarian and economic impact of the goal. This is evident in the Cambridge University  Absolute Zero Report for the government, which clearly paid no heed as to how the proposals would impact the country, proposed rationing of electricity and more or less said 'suck it up' to the population. A very technocrat solution. 

The discussion needs to start with appropriate framing of the desired goal. 

Ernest
  • Agree - I would start from the position that there needs to be an energy supply excess in terms of generating capacity - something like 3 x the actual forecast requirements for a bit of overhead.

To cater, I'd plump for a full energy mix in terms of the primary heat source for generation. Coal/Oil/Gas/Wood pellet/wind/solar.

I'd preferably go for a full carbon/fossil fuel model in the same way as the Germans/Indian/Chinese have, but with Clean Coal Tech (electrostatic scrubbers etc).

The tech is already well known and well proven.

Then, I'd build some nuclear power plants.

Finally, I'd get the Welsh to stop singing in the valleys and get some coal dug up instead!

There - problem solved!
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

whjohnson:

Then, I'd build some nuclear power plants.

Finally, I'd get the Welsh to stop singing in the valleys and get some coal dug up instead!

There - problem solved!

Personally, I think we need to be looking in much more detail, to the capability of small modular reactors, and the ability to deploy these fairly rapidly across the patch. If the Jocks don't want a nuclear Scotland, then we can relocate Faslane and let them get on with it with wind and wave power.

Having been involved in digging up coal in a previous life, I wouldn't go back there - but I'm sure the Taffs would be happy to house a few SMR's

Energy policy needs of course a basketful of existing and emerging technologies, a lot of which should be renewable - but getting the baseload under control reliably and with good security (including security of the fuel) has to be more important than the dash for all things green. 

Keep "greening" the grid for sure - but in a controlled and measured way, rather than the short term "build for cash" philosophy we have at the moment

Regards

OMS
  • The original No Climate Emergency thread seems to have 'disappeared' during the last forum update.

I am bring this back into play in honour of the UK governments announcement that it will halt the sale if IC engine cars by 2030 without any thoughts of how to build the infrastructure to support it. They have at least worked out how to deal with the loss of fuel duty and road tax by charging per mile once again without any details. They can’t even make smart electricity meters work  and they stay in one place ?

• Roger Bryant:
    The original No Climate Emergency thread seems to have 'disappeared' during the last forum update.

It hasn't 'disappeared' Roger, it's here ?
  • Thank you Lisa :-) I searched for the thread not long after the last forum upgrade as I wanted to check the links to the DMS regarding Greenland ice. At the time I couldn't find it either searching my posts or searching the forums.

Interestingly although you and I have posted on this thread it doesn't appear in the recent topics in the forums however the Maker Movement, which is much older, does?
  • Hi Roger

Thank you for pointing out the odd behaviour of the recent topics list and yes for some reason it doesn't appear in the right order. We'll report it to the supplier for them to take a look at. ?

• Let's see if this appears on the 'Latest Posts' now.
  • Roger

ive received notifications of your latest post, so I guess it’s back in the forum 

Ernest