This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Should non-payment of a mobile phone bill be a criminal offence?

It used to be known as abstraction of electricity on a landline telephone network but it might be better referred to as abstraction of EM waves or photons, depending on how you view the wave particle duality, on a mobile network.

A friend racked up a mobile phone bill of nearly £2000 as a result of exceeding his data allowance whilst abroad back in 2017. He changed his network provider then cancelled the direct debit resulting in this bill going unpaid to today. It's not actually illegal to do this as all the old network provider can do is demand the payment, as a civil matter, and ruin his credit rating. He claims that unlike an unpaid gas or electricity bill, an unpaid phone bill has not consumed any of the earth's precious natural resources apart from a bit of electricity that cost only a tiny fraction of the value of the bill.

A local bobby disagrees and says that theft is theft regardless of whether it's a tangible object or a non-tangible service, so the criminal should be brought to justice and jailed.

Does the IET have a position regarding the legal status of unpaid phone bills and whether or not refusal to pay should be a criminal offence?

• Sparkingchip:

I remember some people were fined when WiFi first came about for standing in the street and using other people’s and businesses WiFi.

However, if you're broadcasting your wifi to the public (i.e. making it accessible and password free) then how is someone supposed to know that by using it they are breaking the law?

I used to be a BT customer (until they made a complete hash job of connecting a line in to my new house when I moved but that's another, and very long, story...) and if I allowed my Wifi network (or a certain proportion of bandwith) to be accessible to the public then it allowed me to use other BT customers 'public' wifi bandwith when I was out and about. 

I also set up my friends business wifi so that customers could connect to the business wifi without a password but only use a maximum of 10% of the bandwith whereas staff (password protected access) use the larger proportion. Luckily the public wifi signal doesn't extend beyond the gates at the front of the building so cannot be connected to by anyone not actually inside. ? If it did extend beyond the gates then I'd password protect the service too.
  • Hi Lisa,

The keyword I think is "dishonestly"

A person who—

(a) dishonestly obtains an electronic communications service, and

(b) does so with intent to avoid payment of a charge applicable to the provision of that service,

is guilty of an offence.

So I think that means they have to have actively done something to access wifi (in this example) which they know they should not have done. Note also part (b) with the word "intent" - so they knew they were supposed to pay for access and found a way to avoid it.

Which seems to make sense!

Oddly I can't find out anywhere what persuaded the court in R v Straszkiewicz that there was dishonesty in the access and intent to avoid to avoid payment. As it's such a well cited case I'd have expected there to be more written about the details.

Why do BT insist on putting the password details on the backs of the router (so that it's clearly visible if on a windowsill or similar)? Or, since it's on a slide out card, why not make the card so you can put it in blank side facing out? Ah...first word problems...

Cheers,

Andy

• Andy Millar:

I suspect a modern law (criminal or case law) would be more specifically about defrauding the provider.

The problem with this is that fraud is generally regarded as a more severe offence than theft. Therefore refusing to pay a £2000 phone bill could perversely end up as a more severe offence than stealing the tranceiver unit from a base station worth ten times as much  - plus all the inconvenience to users in the area.

I can vaguely remember reading something about a person who installed a 'black box' in their landline phone back in the era of Strowger telephone exchanges that resulted in callers having free calls (although outgoing calls were still charged unless the phone at the other end was also fitted with a 'black box') and how Post Office Telephones was considering charging him with fraud as it was impossible to charge him or the callers (who should have paid the bill but didn't) with theft. Because calls were not logged it was impossible to determine the amount of lost revenue.

• Alasdair Anderson:

Most of the contributors to this forum are not employed by the IET and not in a position to answer to the IET's position, myself included. However I would expect that such behaviour would be considered contrary to the Engineering Council's Statement of Ethical Principles which are endorsed by the IET.

Alasdair

If that is the case, then does it also apply to non-payment of parking tickets issued by APCOA or city councils (they are not fines!!!) ?

• The old Strowger equipment, that was lovely stuff.

• Rob Eagle:

The old Strowger equipment, that was lovely stuff.

Personally I used to hate trying to service it while the uniselectors either side of the one you were working on were "live" - trying to work round cleaning all the contacts with the adjacent ones suddenly lurching off in random directions was downright scary! (Harking back to my BBC days.)

As pure "artistic" bits of engineering they were lovely beasts though!

For those who don't know what on earth we're talking about, short US video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcvA5q8yOTo

And longer UK one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owAjCeHRgMA

That's why the dials of old dial telephones turned back so slowly, so that the uniselectors could keep up with the pulses.

Cheers,

Andy

• Rob Eagle:

The old Strowger equipment, that was lovely stuff.

It most certainly was. You haven't lived unless you have seen and heard a Strowger telephone exchange in operation.

The 'black box' I previously mentioned is for real. I have tested one out on a final selector and I can assure you that they do work.

• There are working examples of Uniselectors at Bletchley Park, I went last time on an IET local network visit, which seem to come up every year or two.

I was trained to fault-find on our local private network telephone system (a power station) and later HV Grid protection equipment, which relied on pilot lines, usually rented from Post Office Telecom.  At that time relay based control systems were ubiquitous, although there was one system with printed circuit board based logic control, several large cabinets to achieve what a small PLC would do nowadays. I should relate that there was a real sense of satisfaction in identifying faults, using a combination of schematic drawings and often observations and a bit of “tinkering”.  The results could involve first having to free people trapped in a lift 150ft up, or safely dealing with a several ton load stuck in a dangerous position.

Returning to the main subject of non-payment , in my laypersons opinion, to be considered “criminal” there has to be clear prima facie evidence of an intent to dishonestly deprive some else of their property (or revenue).  There are many areas of service provision where suppliers seek to be exploitative or maximise profit and consumers legitimately seek to avoid being exploited. Hence various consumer protection legislation to balance the rights of the less powerful against exploitative practice.  As a “civil” issue (ie a commercial dispute) popular consumerism, led by sections of the media have become a well established counterbalance to exploitative or incompetent practices.

Touching on traffic or parking penalties. I was a “victim” of this several years ago.  I made a business visit by car with two colleagues to a facility in suburban West London. My two colleagues had travelled by Train/Tube, so at the end I offered to drop them off at the nearest station.  I was unfamiliar with the area as were they, but they recognised the return route and guided me. As I emerged from under a bridge they said “we’re here” so I slowed carefully pulled over and dropped them off. Unbeknown to me at the time, I had infringed a thick yellow line “bus stop” and was sent a penalty charge by the local authority.  Disputing the penalty, I was sent CCTV evidence (the camera seemed to be controlled by an operator) which showed clearly that a pedestrian had walked into the road from the opposite side taking my attention and that my rear seat passenger had begun to open the car door as I was still moving. I was stationary for less than 20 seconds and no other vehicle was nearby as a crossing behind me was on red. 

My appeal was rejected as was eventually the intervention of my MP.  The appeal adjudicator stated that my evidence was simply “mitigation” which was not something that they could take into consideration.  This in my opinion breaches the common law principle that the reasonable actions of a reasonable person are not a “crime”.  Obviously I did not commit a “crime” , but public bodies were still allowed to punish me.  It doesn’t matter about me and on the principle of “swings and roundabouts”, I have probably got away with many motoring infringements over the years. Police discretion and public toleration are quite important principles of how the law is actually applied.  Perhaps if money were no object, I could have employed a “Mr Loophole” lawyer, but it obviously wasn’t worth it. Had I impeded a bus, then my actions, albeit innocent, could be argued to be deserving of a penalty in the “public interest”.  

My concern is that powerful exploitative parties, in this case a London Local Authority and the legal system that constrains them is unbalanced such that evidence in defence can simply be dismissed as “mitigation” and therefore inadmissible.  Any thoughts welcome!               

• Roy Bowdler:
    There are working examples of Uniselectors at Bletchley Park, I went last time on an IET local network visit, which seem to come up every year or two.

I was trained to fault-find on our local private network telephone system (a power station) and later HV Grid protection equipment, which relied on pilot lines, usually rented from Post Office Telecom.  At that time relay based control systems were ubiquitous, although there was one system with printed circuit board based logic control, several large cabinets to achieve what a small PLC would do nowadays. I should relate that there was a real sense of satisfaction in identifying faults, using a combination of schematic drawings and often observations and a bit of “tinkering”.  The results could involve first having to free people trapped in a lift 150ft up, or safely dealing with a several ton load stuck in a dangerous position.

Returning to the main subject of non-payment , in my laypersons opinion, to be considered “criminal” there has to be clear prima facie evidence of an intent to dishonestly deprive some else of their property (or revenue).  There are many areas of service provision where suppliers seek to be exploitative or maximise profit and consumers legitimately seek to avoid being exploited. Hence various consumer protection legislation to balance the rights of the less powerful against exploitative practice.  As a “civil” issue (ie a commercial dispute) popular consumerism, led by sections of the media have become a well established counterbalance to exploitative or incompetent practices.

Touching on traffic or parking penalties. I was a “victim” of this several years ago.  I made a business visit by car with two colleagues to a facility in suburban West London. My two colleagues had travelled by Train/Tube, so at the end I offered to drop them off at the nearest station.  I was unfamiliar with the area as were they, but they recognised the return route and guided me. As I emerged from under a bridge they said “we’re here” so I slowed carefully pulled over and dropped them off. Unbeknown to me at the time, I had infringed a thick yellow line “bus stop” and was sent a penalty charge by the local authority.  Disputing the penalty, I was sent CCTV evidence (the camera seemed to be controlled by an operator) which showed clearly that a pedestrian had walked into the road from the opposite side taking my attention and that my rear seat passenger had begun to open the car door as I was still moving. I was stationary for less than 20 seconds and no other vehicle was nearby as a crossing behind me was on red. 

My appeal was rejected as was eventually the intervention of my MP.  The appeal adjudicator stated that my evidence was simply “mitigation” which was not something that they could take into consideration.  This in my opinion breaches the common law principle that the reasonable actions of a reasonable person are not a “crime”.  Obviously I did not commit a “crime” , but public bodies were still allowed to punish me.  It doesn’t matter about me and on the principle of “swings and roundabouts”, I have probably got away with many motoring infringements over the years. Police discretion and public toleration are quite important principles of how the law is actually applied.  Perhaps if money were no object, I could have employed a “Mr Loophole” lawyer, but it obviously wasn’t worth it. Had I impeded a bus, then my actions, albeit innocent, could be argued to be deserving of a penalty in the “public interest”.  

My concern is that powerful exploitative parties, in this case a London Local Authority and the legal system that constrains them is unbalanced such that evidence in defence can simply be dismissed as “mitigation” and therefore inadmissible.  Any thoughts welcome!               

Common sense and reasonableness by the people enforcing laws is a good thing.

But  "the reasonable actions of a reasonable person are not a “crime” " is a huge slippery slope.  Is a hungry person taking food from a shop a crime?  Bypassing the electricity meter because you can't afford to pay the bills?

Did you present any evidence to show that you didn't stop in a bus stop?  If not, then your evidence was just mitigation, not really a defence.

• Another aspect to the non-payment of a phone bill is the lost VAT revenue for the government. Could it be possible to prosecute the customer for tax evasion?