This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Christmas lights swtich?

Hi all

I need some help with my Christmas tree lights... ?

Is it possible to put an in line switch in the cable between the bulbs and the transformer so you can switch the lights on an off without having to do it at the socket or pull the plug out each time?

If yes, where can I get such a switch?
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Could use the remotely operated plug in one of the extension socket positions just for the tree, too then not have to get behind the TV to switch tree on/off (we do this for our TV so it is 'off' when not in use and isn't an 'energy vampire' on standby).

Need to be careful of not having too many devices in an extension lead off a power socket, or extensions off extensions generating a socket overload risk.
  • I use remote controlled mains switching everywhere in the house. The IR plugs are positioned in various multiway extention leads. Very easy to program with dip switches. Anyway the idea of leaving a transformer on without the ability to isolate on a regular basis doesn't really appeal to me.

Legh

• Or use an in line switch on the mains side- after all it is how they are intended to be used. Just make sure the cable grip is working well, if need be pack it out a bit.

We have several 230v strings of 20 off 12V lamps in series or whatever they are, and I have made exactly that mod to them for that reason.

Or you could run them off the lights

remember when these were all the rage ?
  • Over the years I have spent many a "happy" hour putting switches into cables and wiring up extension leads for particular purposes I would now not normally bother. The alternatives suggested above of an extension cable with a switched socket or a remote wireless  switching socket are now so cheap and readily available I would go with either of them. I use a few of the wireless sockets around the house to switch things in exactly the way you want, where the sockets are inaccessible due to the stuff in front of them. They are also good for switching things off properly that otherwise would be on standby.

Unless of course you want to gain practical experience of putting switches into cables in which case there are plenty of people on here who will talk you through what you need in order to make sure you do it safely. 

Your call ?

Lisa Miles:

Andy Millar:

To be fair, I don't think Lisa was suggesting breaking into the mains cables, just the low voltage side.

Cheers, Andy

Exactly Andy. I could do with a switch on the lighting cable closer to the tree.

The only available socket is behind the television but it means having to move the television and its cabinet every time to access the socket and switch the lights on and off. I already have multi socket extension leads that are taken up by the multitude of electronic av equipment around that area as well as my IT networking paraphernalia.  The only accessible socket is on the other side of the room but that means trailing the cables across the carpet and across the doorway to reach the other side, not ideal! 

I don't like leaving the tree lights on if I'm not at home or gone to bed so a timer set up isn't ideal either. 

I might just cover the tree in battery operated lights instead but I hate having to use batteries and prefer to go for more sustainable energy supplies. My outside lights are all solar operated ?

Hi Lisa, it seems you do not have a building regs/bs7671 compliant installation, have you given any consideration to upgrading by having an extra socket where you can easily get to the on/off switch fitted by a competent person? 

• mapj1:

Or use an in line switch on the mains side- after all it is how they are intended to be used. Just make sure the cable grip is working well, if need be pack it out a bit.

. . .

I too am not keen on leaving the transformer energised with its load cut off by a switch, though I don't think it would come to any harm. Just one slight possible problem: the mains plug and transformer of a decoration light set are often incorporated as a single unit, so putting the switch before the transformer is not possible. I would not advise trying to put the switch after the control box, which selects the various flashing sequences, even if you could identify a common "return". So it's back to the other suggestions: remote controlled sockets, switched extension lead, additional socket installed. Pick which is most convenient.

remember when these were all the rage ?

I certainly do. In the 1950s, and into the '60s, it was usual for decoration light sets to be sold fitted with a BC adaptor plug. Power sockets were sparse in those days, and it was assumed that the set would be plugged into a lighting socket fitted with a BC 2-way adaptor. I have still in use two twelve-20V-lamp sets and they still have the BC adaptor. I see no reason to change this; I have a dedicated lead with BC socket to power them. These big, bright bulbs harmonise well on the Christmas tree in conjunction with a modern LED set.
  • Doh! I'm a muppet!

Thinking about and looking into Maurice Dixon‍ 's reply re buying a remote controlled plug but not wanting to have yet another remote control handset to lose somewhere down the back of the sofa, what do I have at home??? ALEXA! 

I'm going to buy some Alexa enabled smart plugs then I can ask her to switch off the lights when I need to without clambering behind the TV or spending hours searching for a remote control handset that I later find in the fridge... ?

And as you say Maurice, I can use them all year round for other devices ?
    Great idea, I hadn't thought of that as I don't, and won't, have such devices in the home. I believe these type of voice-controlled remote sockets can also be programmed with on/off times, etc.

Hope you can get some in time for Xmas ??
    A remote controlled socket/plug is not just for Christmas !

• Maurice Dixon:

I hadn't thought of that as I don't, and won't, have such devices in the home. 

I used to feel the same Maurice but I now have Alexa through my Sonos speakers and I can switch her off when I don't want her 'listening' and back on again when I need her to be alert. ?