This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Let the replies begin....When is an electrical engineer not an engineer?

This is an interesting story on the term registered professional engineer and how it is interpreted.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    The key is Public Safety. Licensing was proposed and became a law in all the US States.  There are different requirements per state as each state has its own challenges, geography and other 

factors that may not apply to other states.  But there is also an industrial exemption. And many graduates of Engineering are not electing to become licensed professional. While I strongly recommend that any graduate of Engineering program in the USA get licensed.  There are advantages for being licensed PE. As to enforcement its really state by state. I think Arizona should have collaborated with the unlicensed professional by having licensed professional review of the work with the engineer.
  • Moshe,

Many thanks for providing the US perspective. I can fully agree with the intent of the law and the advantages of becoming licenced, but the issue here, based on the reporting we have seen, does not appear to be anything to do with safety but merely the fact that the individual titled himself as 'Engineer'. I can understand that "Professional Engineer" is a restricted title but was not aware that "Engineer" was restricted also (at least in Arizona).

Alasdair

• The key is Public Safety.

I think exactly so - and if registration brings a clearly demonstrable safety benefit, it should be done. If not, we do not need it. What we need to demonstrate if it is worthwhile, are accident  figures from countries that are sufficiently similar in other respects such as education and health system so we can compare the effect of registration in isolation.

• Absolutely. Personally I really don't care whether the engineer who wrote the software for this editor I am using now is a "registered engineer" or not, or, say, the engineers who designed the torch that's on my desk (just looking around for inspiration!). I do want to know that an electrician who says my house wiring is safe, and we do in the UK have a registration scheme for that.

And I do want to know that (for example) a new level crossing system for the railways is safe, so we have a very precise legal framework for ensuring the work is carried out competently by the potentially large team involved, which ultimately involves key sign off organisations, and hence the key staff, being registered by (in the UK) UKAS. However the UK - and EU - approach is to say that it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut to say that the entire team, down to all subsupplier organisations, must be registered. Generally the UK approach is to believe that the safety management process - for example IEC61508 and its spin-off regulations for specific industries - allows the engineering of safety-critical systems to proceed without the requirement for the definitions of generic engineering competence (and hence registration), it's for the project to manage the specific competences relevant to each section of the project, some of which will be more safety-critical than others, with overall monitoring through independent assessment etc proportionate to the safety criticality of the project.

Which does seem to work pretty well across a range of industries. Of course, there's always room for improvement, and hence the various standards are constantly being revised, but personally I've yet to see an argument that any gaps in this approach can be appropriately covered by universal registration of engineers.

As I've said here many a time - when I'm assessing competence on safety-critical projects I do like to see CEng/IEng/EngTechs in there, but it's only a tiny bit of the evidence - they may still not have the specific competence for the specific task they are carrying out. A CEng who doesn't appreciate that they don't know what goes on in the outside world, and so who doesn't realise they need to invite a maintainer or operator to a HAZID, can end up making totally the wrong decision...

I must admit that I do have another concern that a huge amount of innovation seems to come from engineers who are likely to have little interest in any registration process. For example I was highly amused a few years ago when it was discovered that gaming computer technology had overtaken "conventional" supercomputer technology! Engineering to my mind is about innovation, not regimentation, and setting down a series of dusty rules about what an "engineer" is I believe will only dissuade those innovators from wanting to enter the profession. Hence I'm strongly in favour of targeting registration / legislation where it's needed, and only where it's needed.

I could be really naughty and suggest that a "registered engineer" who's registered because they will "always follow the rule book and only the rule book" isn't really an engineer at all, they're a technician. But of course I wouldn't want to suggest that ?

Cheers,

Andy
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Alasdair Anderson:

Moshe,

Many thanks for providing the US perspective. I can fully agree with the intent of the law and the advantages of becoming licenced, but the issue here, based on the reporting we have seen, does not appear to be anything to do with safety but merely the fact that the individual titled himself as 'Engineer'. I can understand that "Professional Engineer" is a restricted title but was not aware that "Engineer" was restricted also (at least in Arizona).

Alasdair

Alasdair,

The laws on the paper are actually very strong they not only go after title Engineer but the actual practice of Engineering just like the practice of Medicine, but many state agencies such as consumer protection when it comes to engineers choose to selectively enforce the law on the books.  This can be due to limited funds and recourses, political climate, the entity such as individual vs corporation. At the time of Arizona's case, there was national effort and a strong push to protect the licensure, Some states tried to cancel licensure or make the rules weak, a lot of push came from state societies of professional engineers, lobbying and legal challenges. I think PE's prevailed and had partial but significant victory.

I remember reading about how in Texas when Software engineers became a licensed profession, the state went after unlicensed Sofware Engineers who ended up changing their title from Engineer to Developer. Less than a decade later due to the low number of Engineers who pursuing a license as Software Engineers the category was discontinued. There are good reasons for licensure and also debates and push back by some employers who don't like restrictions and over regulations, they don't think that every engineer position requires a licensed professional. So civil, electrical, chemical and a couple more traditional fields require licensure.  Many government Engineer jobs require a license as well. I don't rule out that  the Arizona case may repeat in other states. The intensification of regulation inforcement comes in waves. 

• Thanks, Moshe.  That makes the situation much clearer. The problem we (i.e. those of us outside the USA) have is that we are unaware of the background and there is a tendency to think in terms of how it works where we live/work.

Alasdair
  • Andy Millar

I could be really naughty and suggest that a "registered engineer" who's registered because they will "always follow the rule book and only the rule book" isn't really an engineer at all, they're a technician. But of course I wouldn't want to suggest that ?

“Engineering Technician”, “Technologist”, “Technician Engineer”, “Incorporated Engineer”, “Chartered Engineer”  Have all been codified by regulators , although “Chartered Engineering Technologist” wasn’t ultimately adopted in the UK twenty years ago, it was discussed at Engineering Council.  Other bodies have codified “Registered Engineer” (now owned by Engineering Council) and more recently “Chartered Building Engineer”. There are many other forms of recognition for expertise and professionalism, many with a “Chartered” version, which suggests that the holder has graduate/post graduate attributes.

I’m personally quite comfortable with the principal that a “Technician” will primarily rely on implementing that which is clearly codified. In doing so, they will often demonstrate practical initiative and originality to deliver results effectively.  Experienced Technicians are typically highly expert in specific areas of activity, with essential practical “nous”, which many engineers from a more academic background may lack.  We have over recent decades absorbed into the description of a “Technician” the role of a skilled Craftsperson or Tradesperson who may be towards the more practical end of the quite broad span of Technician practice. Technicians in some areas (eg Science) are often university graduates.

I have strongly opposed any suggestion that a “Technician” should be seen as “lower”, or as an “inferior” form of “Engineer”.  I was happy to describe myself as a Technician (including in my passport) although I didn’t register because in the academic frame of reference I seemed “over-qualified” (with an HNC) so I went towards “Technician Engineer” instead, although that changed to “Incorporated Engineer”.  In that capacity , I was informed by my Professional Institution and Engineering Council that I was “different but equally valuable” , although within a few years I migrated away from an engineering role into a form of management.  It is sad that certain elements of the Chartered Engineer community resented the idea of others being described as “equally valuable” and once the Institution of Incorporated Engineers (4th largest PEI) was no longer represented at Engineering Council, this important principle was throw out of the window.     

I have posted the material below before in the context of an earlier thread. These are the thoughts that a distinguished Professor (CEng) sent to me in 2011, not intending for them to be published in this form.  They have however guided my thinking on the issue. 

I have always thought of the categories of registration as related to different sets of skills each deserving recognition and status. An Incorporated Engineer I would expect to be knowledgeable about specific engineering products or services, processes and machinery and able to explain things about them to people within his or her engineering organisation; I would expect them to be “streetwise” and able to supervise others confidently. An engineering or ICT technician I would expect to be a proficient user of particular tools, have patience and be thoroughly knowledgeable about the operation of a particular process or machine. A Chartered Engineer should have to be able at justifying engineering decisions to anyone especially themselves, be prepared to deliberate and research, set out an argument and work confidently in unfamiliar situations.

Because the skills required are different, anyone in one category does not automatically have the skills for another. Thus movement in any direction requires the honing of unrehearsed skills or their acquisition. Progress for an individual can be in any direction! It means Incorporated Engineers are not apprentice Chartered Engineers and to see them as such is to remove an important distinction. Nevertheless we should recognise that a competent Incorporated Engineer can through education and experience gain the skills of a Chartered Engineer so being an Incorporated Engineer is not a disqualification for later registration as a Chartered Engineer. Similarly being a Chartered Engineer is not a disqualification for becoming, with appropriate skill development, an Engineering Technician.

It is the case that intellectual skills of deliberation and argumentation of a Chartered Engineer demand a longer time than the intellectual skills of an Engineering technician, however the technician has to develop “know how” for which an academic setting is not necessarily appropriate. And it is the case that there are some commonalities in the intellectual skill development of all categories but at some point they each go in a different direction to develop different portfolios.

We should be careful of the metaphors we use: words like “level” imply a hierarchy, “grade (as in “registration grade” ) implies a scale, “class” (at least for the English) implies a hierarchy, “progress” and “progressive” imply a forward movement and hence going the other way is backward!    

• Hi Roy, 

All absolutely true - I just get very frustrated with the attitude (both outside and, bizarrely to my mind, inside engineering) that engineers aren't supposed to do anything imaginative or creative.

I get particularly cross when people suggest that engineers involved in safety work shouldn't innovate - safety will only improve (or, indeed, stay the same in a changing world) if they are not just allowed but actually encouraged to innovate!

Cheers,

Andy

• Don’t be cross for Christmas Andy!?

There was a pretty “hot” debate in one these threads recently, which involved different people including Electricians and Chartered Engineers discussing the risks in practice, interpretation of the regulations and certification, some science and calculations, some experience, some health and safety with a human factors angle etc.  

By coincidence on Wednesday I was in contact with a former colleague, who managed a job where some minor carelessness by two craftsmen on a job worth perhaps a few thousand pounds cost £20 Million plus to put right. In this case sparks from hot work, burning down a historic building, because they "shot off" for tea break instead of monitoring their workplace to check for any smouldering embers.  That led to a “hot” debate as well, only in the highest court.
    ?

Best wishes all and a happy New Year! – probably made happier for some, as I intend to be far less prominent in this space due to a change of circumstances?