This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Confessions of an Electrician...

So while we’ve not been able to log into the community (you can do so now if you didn’t already know) I’ve been keeping myself out of mischief Blush by going through some of the discussion topics on the old Wiring Regs forum and came across this one: Walking off site where some of you were sharing stories about your experiences with client's pets while on the job. 

So I thought it would be a bit of fun to ask you to share some of your funny/bizarre or just weird stories (keeping it relatively clean and protecting the privacy of others please!) from any jobs you’ve been on or done.

… And I’ll send some swag to the author of the story that gets voted the ‘Most helpful/liked’ from the community so don't forget to hit that 'Good Answer' link on any that make you chuckle! (Log in required)

• Kelly Marie:

Hey Lisa you don't look old enough to have been working at IET for 16 years how do you do it?

It's an old photograph. ?

P.S. we need an emoji of a tin hat. ?

• OMS:

OK, Z - have you looked in the Online Community Support and Savoy Place Virtual Club 

Are you suggesting that other posts you've made (other than the ones highlighted above) have been deleted ?

If not, it's Mumsnet for you

OMS

I avoid foreign unknown places they scare me. All those foreigners. And I have been told nothing, nothing I tell you. I am in the dark. Mums are great. I use mumsnet all the time, it is a great facility. I suppose that even engineers must have mothers, or were they created in labs in test tubes? Bless all mums.

Z.

• Former Community Member
    Former Community Member

Chris Pearson:

Kelly Marie:

Hey Lisa you don't look old enough to have been working at IET for 16 years how do you do it?

Tin hat ? - you'll need more than that, mate  - I'd start digging the shell scrape soonest, whilst you figure out a tactical withdrawal ?

OMS

• Chris Pearson:

Kelly Marie:

? Actually it’s only ‘old’ in that it was taken in early May this year just after I had my hair cut short... ?

• Having carefully checked that all power to a building was isolated, I started cutting through several small SWAs in order to re-use the route for new cables. One of the presumed cables was in fact black plastic water pipe. After that, plastic water pipes were made blue.
  • I was testing a cabinet we had built to run a flow meter calibration rig. The rig had been built by the customer and had 9" diameter pipes and valve fed by a big pump with a multi thousand litre water tank about 30 ft up in the air. I bet you are all ahead of me here.

A joint on the pipework  failed   resulting in a 40ft fountain water, I panicked and pressed the emergency stop button to stop the pump. Unfortunately this also cut the supply to the valves and the control board so I could not tun the valves off and the fountain was now being fed by gravity from the tank. The lever to manually close the valves was on a valve under the fountain so I had to get soaked to get the lever and continue getting soaked turning off the valves. When the customer turned up he went and got a gigantic (8Ft high) three phase wet and dry vacuum. I had an hours wet drive to get home to dry off and change.
  • Former Community Member
    Former Community Member

I had an hours wet drive to get home to dry off and change

At least you arrived home fully clothed.... I too got soaked through having jointed a damaged cable in a very deserted site so I stripped to my shreddies having put the wet and dirty clothes in the boot and drove the 60 miles home relatively dry. I should really have thought about my on street parking location at home.....................

Regards

BOD

•  I had an hours wet drive to get home to dry off and change

At least you arrived home fully clothed.... I too got soaked through having jointed a damaged cable in a very deserted site so I stripped to my shreddies having put the wet and dirty clothes in the boot and drove the 60 miles home relatively dry. I should really have thought about my on street parking location at home.....................

? ??

Colleagues and friends may laugh at my 'always prepared' nature but I have a change of clothes in the boot of my car, just in case.. It may only be a T-shirt and pair of leggings but it gets me out of trouble when I need it. ?

• After that, plastic water pipes were made blue.

Actually, they're still meant to be black for above-ground use (at least where UV exposure is likely - the blue ones aren't UV resistant).

- Andy.
  • Lisa I'm glad it's not just me that does that I usually have a spare dress in the back of the polo just in case definitely been a good idea especially with our weather being a bit stormy latley