This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

A Levels and results - does anyone have an opinion relevant to The IET ?

In the news today. This is the pathway to becoming an Engineer for many and considered "equivalent" to having completed a skilled apprenticeship by the educational establishment.

• Denis McMahon:

I am tired of the arguments we often hear at this time of year, that standards are falling, hence more people are passing or the results are not worth as much as they used to. If would be good if we could have a look at some GCE papers of the 1960s for a side-by-side comparison with papers of these days.

In a peer-reviewed article in the British Educational Research Journal, "mathematics experts judged A‐level scripts from the 1960s, 1990s and the 2010s.... the experts believed current A‐level mathematics standards to have declined since the 1960s, although there was no evidence that they believed standards have declined since the 1990s. " The original paper is here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/berj.3224 (and an overview is in this Daily Mail article https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3458830/Pupils-B-grade-level-maths-today-scored-E-50-years-ago-study-shows-exams-got-easier.html)

• Roy Bowdler:

A Levels and results - does anyone have an opinion relevant to The IET

Hi Roy, sorry, I feel that my previous response regarding A level pass rates may have taken the conversation off topic somewhat. In answer to your original question, the IET has recently posted the following press release:

https://www.theiet.org/media/press-releases/press-releases-2019/15-august-2019-a-levels-new-stats-reveal-current-curriculum-limits-the-work-readiness-of-future-engineers/

• First in response to Lisa, I was also told about the percentage ratio at play at the time of my O-grades (O-grades rather than O-levels as it was in Scotland) and I am pretty sure that was long before your exams. The only evidence I have heard of for the exam standards declining was about 20 odd years ago there was a question in a Scottish Higher-grade exam (roughly equivalent to mid-way between the current AS levels and A levels if I understand correctly) which was the exact same question that had been in an O-grade exam some years previously. When challenged the percentage ratio was used as the excuse.

I am not worried about whether the truth is there is grade inflation or the teaching is better or what. What concerns me more is that we should be told what is really happening as if we know what the situation is we can make sensible decision based on proper data.

Alasdair
  • There is a fundamental problem with getting the hardness of exams right,  and having sat Exams (O's and A's in the 1980s) and also been involved in setting test questions, not for an exam board but within a university department, perhaps I can put another view.

Clearly we cannot set the exact same questions year on year, or for all the folk who boned up using last year's paper, the test is not really a proper test of understanding, but of memory.

So we must have new questions, but still based on the same syllabus, each year.  Now, if you make the question too similar to last year, you still have this problem. If you make it wackily different to anything ever seen before, and then  all the candidates who chose that question only get it less than half right, but do OK on other more familiar questions, was it too hard ?

You now cannot be sure if this is a good or bad crop of students this year, or that bit of the syllabus is not being taught as well as others, or indeed, just because magnetic spin waves is your thing and you think a question on it is a good vehicle to ask what is really a statistics question the students ought to know, it may not be anyone else's and so appears too hard...

Then, what are the exams supposed to achieve - well to show you have read around the subject or been lectured on it, and it has gone in, and you can recall it to order. In this age of the hollow expert who only needs to be good at using the internet to look up the answers, maybe the skill to be examined is also different.

IF the scores are so low, perhaps the questions should be easier ?

You cannot even be sure of this in reverse, as one sets questions for a few years running one sees there is a tendency for the examiners to also have a favourite sort of question too, and they cannot be sure that their ideas of difficulty are not shifting over time. Obviously last years questions look easy, because I saw the answers to them last year.

so deciding that fraction X% is a first class, y% is 2:1, z% is 2:2 is clearly flawed, but maybe as good as we can get. And the GCSE and A levels suffer similarly.

• Mike,

I fully agree with your comments and I have absolutely no problem with the scores being normalised each year to compensate for the variations in the exam difficulty. Where I have a problem is with this being done while at the same time the numbers of passes being increased year on year with the claim that teaching methods are improving as the only way to verify if teaching is improving is to compare exam results, and if the exam result are being normalised......

I personally am happy with what they have done on the basis that it should ensure a more level playing field between this year's students and last year's (and next year's). What I am less happy about is how do we know how this year's students compare with my own year (1975, if you are interested). My only issue with this year's exam is that they have had to move the grade boundaries more than I would think desirable as a 'pass mark' of 9% is incredibly low to provide sensible differentiation between pupils.

Alasdair
  • Does it matter? A levels are primarily used to help Universities select their candidates for that year, so other than perhaps causing issues with candidates who have deferred for a year or two relative grades between A level years probably doesn't have much impact on anyone?

Rather different from degree grade inflation which sticks with the candidate for life - recruiters will make a first pass judgement on degree grades despite the fact that it could be (and often is) argued that many 2.2 passes of 30-40 years ago would be firsts today. (With all the above points applied to that discussion!)

But I am aware that I only looking at this from one point of view, of Uni entry - do A level results hang around people's careers for (say) 10 years or more?

Although of course I'm still grumpy about my own A level results - but they were entirely my own fault! Spent too much time fiddling around with electronics - which proved useful in the end anyway.

Cheers,

Andy
  • Andy,

That is one reason (its use for university selection) I am happy with the grade boundaries being adjustable to cater for differences in exams from year to year. I don't think candidates who have deferred for a year or two will have an issue as they will normally have a firm offer before the current crop of prospective students get their offers but the universities ought to know the level of learning of the incoming students and be able to compare different year intakes. After a number of years the exam grades are much less of an issue, whether it is A-level or degree. The level of my degree, and in fact whether I even have one, has for a number of years probably been a minor issue when advancing my career relative to my experience and the CPD achieved since I left university.

Alasdair

• Denis McMahon:

It would be good if we could have a look at some GCE papers of the 1960s for a side-by-side comparison with papers of these days.

More 1970s than 1960s but: it was very interesting when my children were sitting their A levels (around 5-6 years ago). Because they both took Maths and Physics I got involved with trying to help them - it was a very interesting exercise. From memory the standard of knowledge seemed very comparable, but the way the questions were asked was very different - and I would suggest it is much better now. As many students find to their cost, you cannot sit a modern A level paper having brushed up past papers the night before, the questions are very cleverly structured to require you to pull together knowledge from right across the two year course. Because of this you will often hear teachers and parents commenting that the step from GCSEs to A levels is much higher than the step from A levels to university level.

So my (totally unscientific and somewhat based on memory) view was that the technical level of the questions was very comparable, but the structure of the questions made them harder - but also more relevant. Thinking as an employer, I was really impressed with the A level questions. (My children were rather less impressed by them!) But as discussed above there's also the marking scheme to throw into the mix.

The good thing was that I now understand a lot of the maths and physics that I didn't get the first time around (and hadn't learned since, as I hadn't happened to have needed it). With the benefit of experience it was much easier to get my head around it this time - it was quite fun keeping just ahead of my children! 

Cheers,

Andy

• Alasdair Anderson:

The level of my degree, and in fact whether I even have one, has for a number of years probably been a minor issue when advancing my career relative to my experience and the CPD achieved since I left university.

Unfortunately I think it depends on the role, for my current role (very similar to yours) it's not a question. But when I was working in design roles, up to rather senior design management, with a significant track record in two rather different industries, I was still being rejected at CV selection stage because I didn't have a 1st or 2.1. If I did get through this to interview I tended to be offered a more senior job then the one I'd applied for! * That's actually why I originally applied for CEng, to distract from my dreadful degree at CV selection, it didn't work at all. But it would for the role I'm in now.

Because of this experience I do question companies who claim not to be able to recruit "good" mid career engineers - often they filter CVs based on slightly nebulous reasons. (Many even dafter than this, such as experience of a specific version of a specific CAD system.) Unfortunately the recruitment system is a bit of a game. And, to be fair, it is very difficult. But trying to reduce it to an exact mathematical formula, even though it's understandable why HR departments want to do this, really doesn't work - as you say, in engineering track record should be hugely important.

When I got my present job last year my new employers asked for a copy of my degree certificate, which is entirely in Latin (should really be in Welsh!) Out of interest I ran it through Google translate and discovered it doesn't have my grade on it. So I asked the registry office for the current incarnation of my university if they could confirm my grade, which they couldn't! So I could claim it's anything I like Relaxed I didn't know whether to laugh or cry...I think it just puts it in context how irrelevant a 37 year old degree grade should be.

Cheers,

Andy

* The best example being where I applied for a senior design engineer role, and in the interview they offered me the design manager's job. Which came as a nasty surprise to the design manager who was sitting on the interview panel. 

• Denis McMahon:

A levels are ONE way, not THE way, towards a career in engineering. An A level can be followed by university or an apprenticeship. An apprenticeship does not preclude university later. Apprenticeships are good for practical experience. University courses can include industrial placement, where practical experience can be gained. There is plenty of flexibility. Many teenagers are fed up with school and long for a practical working environment.

I followed all these routes. A levels, then apprenticeship then study for a degree later. I am not pretending that every career decision I made was a good one, but this was a path that suited me well and I don't regret it.

Sorry, I'll stop monopolising after this but just to bang the drum...you don't need a degree at all for a professional engineering role. Including if you want to be Chartered. (DItto A levels.)

But it don't half make it easier to get the knowledge you need so I'd certainly never put anyone off the degree path...plus given a good uni with good lecturers it can be enjoyable as well!

Cheers,

Andy