This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Alan Turing or Nikola Tesla

Just a thought, how might Alan Turing or Nikola Tesla fared in a Professional Review Interview?

• Graham Prebble:

What a daft question !

To assess 19th century individuals in the 21st century is ... futile and pointless 

I agree, just as a crossword puzzle is futile and pointless, but it doesn't stop me doing them (crosswords, that is). I thought the question gave rise to an interesting discussion and perhaps a similar 'daft' question from time to time wouldn't be a bad idea.

Alasdair

• Graham Prebble:

What a daft question !

Graham, I think you put a different interpretation upon the question. I was thinking less about the contemporary technology or their technical merits, and more about their social and self-promotional skills in relation to the registration process. The registration review requires the candidate to make a sales pitch highlighting their own talents, and back that up with a live presentation and discussion with a panel of assessors. I think Alan Turing would not have fared well in this process, and from my understanding of Tesla I don't think he would have fared too well either. I feel the process favours those gifted in marketing and social skills.

• See attached 19th Century forms
    attachments.zip
  • Very interesting, Roy.

I notice that the Society of Telegraph-Engineers and Electricians (the IET forerunner) took two weeks from application to decision, with one further day to inform the candidate, while the ICE took two and a half months. On the other hand, the STEE form is basically just a peer recommendation while the ICE form is already providing evidence of the competences.

• Alex Barrett:

I feel the process favours those gifted in marketing and social skills.

Hi Alex,

I think there's two questions here:

1. Is the process unreasonably looking for those with strong marketing and social skills?

2. Is the process unfairly biased towards those with strong marketing and social skills (irrespective of what UKSpec is trying to look for)?

For question 1 first, my strong opinion is that UKSpec has the level it's looking for just about right. E.g. it is trying to certify engineers who can not just develop technology, but will check they're developing the "right" technology (i.e. what the company / customers needs), and that after they get hit by a bus someone else will be able to carry on that work. I've not seen candidates struggle with demonstrating this aspect provided they agree it's important (i.e. are willing to develop the skills where required) - the actual level of skills considered acceptable is pretty basic.

Question 2 is much harder. Actually I'd argue that any process favours those gifted in marketing and social skills. Even an exam with no human interaction favours those who actively seek out private tuition / advice beforehand. One of my regular points I raise here is the advice to seek out a PRA during registration - those with good social / self marketing skills won't need to be told this, they come and find us (or work it all out for themselves). Those with exceptionally poor skills don't ask for help, and then struggle. This is really tough, particularly in a profession which by its nature attracts people who can be more interested in lumps of stuff than other people. So yes, I think the process (and modern engineering, and indeed life in general) does favour those with good skills in these areas, and that's why I'm a huge believer in helping everyone develop those skills if they want. I actually see UKSpec as positive for this, it's making it clear (or trying to) where the baseline is - e.g. you don't need to be TED Talk level presenter, but if you can just learn how to explain what you're doing, and listen to what other people are doing, then that's pretty good.

I think the key is what people want to do. We know so much more now (e.g. than in Alan Turing's day) in how to help people achieve at least basic functional skills in social areas they are less good at, but if people themselves aren't interested there's not much you can do.

"How many therapists does it take to change a light bulb? Just one, but the light bulb's really got to want to change."

A prime example I was thinking about recently was Bob Widlar. Fantastic and hugely influential engineer. Would I have offered him an honorary doctorate if it was within my gift? Definitely. Fellowship of the IET? Of course. CEng? Err...probably not. Would he have cared? No. Would it have mattered? No. (If I was the safety assessor for a project where BW had done all the design work would I be concerned? Definitely yes. Why? Because we all make mistakes, and not being able to work in a team or let your work be questioned makes it more likely that your mistakes won't get noticed.) 

Finally, the biggest problem I actually see with candidates is the interview. I've seen potentially good candidates who have been referred to me after not showing that they've met UKSpec at interview - when actually it was because their interview technique was bad. I think there is probably more we can do as an institute to support candidates pre-interview, from what I've seen that actual interview process is good (it needs the same sort of skills that you need when, say, presenting a project to a panel of directors), but if candidates aren't used to that type of presentation then this application process needs to be better at identifying that skills gap and developing the skills required - before the extreme embarrassment of an excellent technical candidate being told (in their eyes) "you're not good enough to join our club".

I'll admit a strong personal interest here - when I entered the engineering profession my social and marketing skills were very strongly on the negative side (much more Turing than Tesla!) It's been very interesting learning how to develop these. It does seem that one huge influence is what people accidentally learn from their family as they are growing up - and I think the important thing is "learn". The challenge is unlearning the unhelpful parts!

Cheers,

Andy

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Alex Barrett:

[Snip]

The registration  review requires the candidate to make a sales pitch highlighting their own talents, and back that up with a live presentation and discussion with a panel of assessors.

[Snip]

I feel the process favours those gifted in marketing and social skills.

Human personality play a large part in career success or failure. Those who feel: confident and self assured; have drive and ambition; believe the glass is always half full, will always win against those with opposite personalities.

So you could get someone with a good degree from a top university, and highly conciensious, may not necessarily rise up the career ladder, and to successful registration, simply because, they lacked confidence. A strong but positive personality; coupled with team building engagement; and a few pints down the pub (or 2 or more) with management and the lads, would be enough to secure job promotion, and ultimately to successful registration.

​​​​​This can be the reason, why young females do not choose STEM subjects, to progress towards an engineering career, because it's seen as an aggressive personality role.

• As a corollary to this, I've a colleague who is a world class consultant in his field, with a track record in business, who in my mind is a natural Fellow. I know he would appreciate Fellowship, but is not the sort to push himself forward for recognition. I accept that an engineer needs to have relatively good communication skills, and some measure of commercial drive, but I do feel that our system favours the careerist over the talented engineer. Looking at some Fellows I associate with does nothing to dispel this impression. Neither does most of the literature coming out of the IET.
  • I'd actually suggest that the real world of engineering (i.e. outside the PEIs ? ) is no worse than any other profession in this regard, and possibly slightly better than some. It does very much depend on the role, consultancy (which I now work in) I would say has more "pushy" types in it than, say development and manufacturing engineering where I came from. The music industry which I used to work in I'd suggest is far more ego driven than the rail industry I now work in. But again this is true across all professions. 

We should be very careful about gender stereotyping here: anyone who has involvement with (for example) the marketing profession will know that women can be just as aggressive as men in the workplace!

But yes I'd totally agree about the confidence thing (again which applies across all professions), and this is something we can address as a profession if we decide to do it. Personally I think my bugbear of the appalling lack of training and development given to engineering managers and team leaders is a big issue here.

Oh, the Fellowship thing...I think the IET is very clear that it wants to see business leaders as Fellows (quite reasonably), and the process is pretty straightforward for that. Where the process is confusing is for recognising those who have a long respected technical career, it does (from the way it's presented) appear to need a recent "big event" to hang the application on.

The big issue I noticed is that there is more support for potential applicants than there appears to be. This is really important, given that I think fair to say that most potential applicants aren't going to apply unless they are pretty sure they are going to get it - the sort of person who is eligible has plenty of other things to occupy them! I have found that the IET could be much clearer that Fellowship Advisers are there and available to support "over a coffee" chats before pen is put to paper, which would be a huge help to the type of person I think you're describing. I'm as passionate about putting potential Fellows in touch with advisers as I am about putting potential registrants in touch with PRAs. In practice this is what I find the most successful at getting the less confident - but highly able - over the hurdle.

Getting my CMgr was interesting...I had a phone call with a CMI adviser who talked through my recent career (against specific criteria), and they then basically put together my application. (The CMI then interviews supporters over the phone to check this.) They recognise that people at that sort of senior level have other things to think about. If Fellowship had a route that worked like that I'd bet there'd be far more applicants - and excellent ones at that.

In summary: I'd like to see far more Fellows appearing who are doing such interesting things that they haven't really got the time or energy to expend on persuading the IET to accept them as Fellows!

Incidentally, when I do run across potential fellows I always encourage them to apply asap - because the process is based on recent activities / achievements it's worth getting the application in as soon as they have something nice and clear to show in the past five years.

(P.S. I am not, of course, a Fellow. I have never actually applied. But I've got very near applying several times now so I'm getting to know the start of the process quite well!)

Cheers,

Andy
  • In my experience, PRA's are in short supply in our region, I was looking to the opposite end of East Anglia and beyond when I went through this process. Young RAF engineers at Marham voiced the same issue.

I agree entirely with your observations re. the Fellowship process. My candidate has in the past been the founding technical director of a tech business, but is now operating in semi-retirement as a solo consultant, albeit to global authorities such as CERN. He has observed that all the Fellows he knew have passed on, so as you say, some proactive outreach from the IET Fellowship team could be helpful. I have LN committee colleagues who are Fellowship assessors so I might voice this suggestion there, although in my experience the IET is not driven or moved by suggestions from the engine room.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Andy Millar:

We should be very careful about gender stereotyping here: anyone who has involvement with (for example) the marketing profession will know that women can be just as aggressive as men in the workplace!

Andy, I was referring to pre GCSE and A level age brackets, rather than as matured adults.

Cheers,

Mehmood