This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

London Electric Vehicle Chargers Proposal.

How many?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-7150191/London-need-50-000-public-electric-car-chargers-2025.html

Z.
  • UK train fares are a problem in themselves. Here, Switzerland, the most I can pay is CHF 75 in second class or CHF 127 in first class for a day card that covers most of the public transport.
    https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/1-day-travelpass-for-the-half-fare-travelcard.html

The required half fare card costs CHF 185 per year and offers half price travel on most of the public transport.

Best regards

Roger

• davezawadi:

Chris I find your calculation curious in that you suggest an electricity consumption for an electric car which is tiny. 4kWh per 5 miles is optimistic if there are any hills, wind, acceleration or whatever on the route. Charging at stations may be a good idea, but at train pricing rates probably unaffordable.

4kWh per 5 miles is extremely pessimistic.  It may be true for a large HGV.  But for real electric cars on real roads, it's nearer 4 miles per kWh.  Maybe 5 miles per kWh for a very small efficient car, less for a big one.  The latest cars coming on the market have batteries of around 50 to 65 kWh, and have measured ranges of around 200 to 250 miles.

The only caveat is that the range does drop in winter.  How much depends on how cold it is, partly as the batteries lose efficiency, and partly as people turn the heaters on.

Just look at the published specifications of any modern EV, measured against the latest official range measurement standards.

• It always amazes me that so many people in London drive cars. When I last lived there (1982-84) I sold my car within six months as it simply wasn't being used - in fact the buyer had to tow it away as the clutch had rusted up solid through lack of use! But equally as I regularly go there for work and have to commute I have to agree that the public transport infrastructure is at breaking point, plus the annoyance that all transport planning assumes that everyone only wants to get in and out of central London, there's no sensible rail equivalents of the North / South Circular and the M25.

So I'm on both sides of this, London needs electric cars (try living outside for a few years and then going back and you'll immediately realise how polluted the air is, it's not a subtle problem), but it also just needs better public transport so there can be less cars - then on those occasions when driving is essential journeys can be made in a reasonable time and without dangerously raising blood pressure! And of course, a suggested above, meaning that fewer charging points are needed and these can charge at slower rates.

I've just come back from a week in Prague. Trams. They're brilliant. But only work if the roads are wide enough, which in London they sadly aren't (which I guess is why they died out there).

Cheers,

Andy

• Andy Millar:

I've just come back from a week in Prague. Trams. They're brilliant. But only work if the roads are wide enough, which in London they sadly aren't (which I guess is why they died out there).

There used to be trams in London (just re-watched the film Genevieve last week where tram lines are a significant plot device) and I remember trams in Glasgow. The width of the road is only a problem if you want the trams to have their dedicated tracks separate from the other road users. I watched the reintroduction of trams into Croydon in about 1994 and there they have a mixture of shared roads, dedicated tracks alongside roads, and old railway lines completely separate from the roads. In Glasgow when I was growing up (showing my age now) they also had trolley buses which used the overhead power lines but didn't need the tram lines so wouldn't be a problem in narrower roads, though I believe that as they were less constrained in their road position they were more prone to coming off their trolley (and I am pretty sure that is the origin of the phrase....)

Alasdair