This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

IEng Interview Presentation

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Good afternoon All,

I've been informed of the date for my IEng interview - but i've got just one area i am unsure about, and that's the 15 minute presentation i've to provide at the start of this interview.

I've tried looking all over the internet for examples of interview presentations, just to get a feel for the sort of "look" they should have, and what balance of text/images, and details of text written on them.

Does anyone know of any examples online? I just want to make sure i get the structure and level of detail / infomation etc correct. I don't want it to end up looking over technical, or missing the type of infomation the interviewers would want to see.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Lee.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    "to help you relax by talking about something you are very familiar with and proud of."

Excellent advice, Graham, for every I Eng and CEng candidates, as is your reference to including mention of Competences C, D and E, since these are equally crucial to any successful project.

Ron McMurtrie
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Thank you Graham and Ronald, both very valid points ill be taking on board regarding ensuring i cover the competency categories in the presentation.

Now i've just to think through how to incorporate competency E/E5, as im unsure what exactly constituites rigour, honesty, integrity, respect for law-life-public good. I suspect repeating my employers official values will not surfice!
  • Lee,

Don't go out of your way to ensure all the competencies are covered in the presentation as the presentation is supposed to show the A and B competencies. The others tend to be covered (particularly D2 as that is presenting findings to others - i.e. giving a presentation) as they are part of the way you work but don't let the A and B competency coverage suffer through trying to get in examples of all competencies. Anything that you don't seem to have covered in the presentation will be drawn out of you in the subsequent discussion, possibly without you realising it.

For E5, I would suggest taking a look at the case studies in ethics that are on the IET website. These give hypothetical situations and ask what your response would be. Working through a case study is not the sort of thing you can offer as evidence in your interview, but it gives you an idea of the sort of evidence that might be appropriate from your own experience. I should say the case studies were in the "Professional Ethics" area of the old website - where they are now I couldn't tell you.

Alasdair
  • Hi Lee

I went through the interview process a year ago and was successful.

I chose not to use powerpoint and gave a verbal presentation instead. I presented some headlines of the topics in advance.This worked quite nicely because I invited them to ask questions as I went along which took the pressure off a bit. They only want see you cover the competencies - the interviewers were from completely unrelated fields of engineering in my instance.

Honestly the process is not as daunting as it seems and the hour passes by very quickly. 

The worst bit is the weeks of waiting afterwards!

I wish you the best of luck 

Tim
  • Timothy's idea is best; however, it does require some skill and confidence to deliver it. Remember that PowerPoint is a tool that delivers a visual element to your presentation.  Make it memorable visually and keep the text to a minimum. You do not want your audience reading 50-60 words from each slide. Lastly, practice your presentation in front of friends or family to check the timing and to build confidence. Good luck with the I Eng?