This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Free bus travel for all to help slash UK transport sector pollution?

Environmental campaigners have suggested that bus use should be made free to all to encourage less car use and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

How realistic is that though? With many areas of the country with no (or very sporadic) bus service how can you really expect everyone to stop using their own personal transport options?
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    If increasing bus usage is part of the answer it must only be by using electric and hydrogen buses, as running near empty Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) multi-seater buses isn't any better, in most cases worse, than individuals driving their ICE cars. The electricity to charge the E-buses and generate H2 for H-buses must come from renewable energy sources also to ensure the 'fuel emissions pollution' isn't exported somewhere else.

Howard has very good points as the same applies to me living in a rural village. EVs, Hydrogen vehicles (H2Vs), E-buses and H-buses, and low carbon mobility such as trams, autonomous vehicles in designated lanes, more park and rides, transport-share (if adequate personal security can be provided for vulnerable people) etc, etc, need to be part of the future transport/mobility system to transition away from ICE and fossil-based transport. However, the transition must be provided and applied using system-of-systems design and rollout (i.e. charging and maintenance infrastructure needs to be in place), when and where they make sense (demand driven), and as they can be justified cost effectively based on 'value' not just hard cash (e.g. no GHG emission zones around schools, housing estates, hospitals, commuter routes, etc to improve air quality and health).

Initially, low carbon mobility makes sense within denser urban areas, between dense urban areas, then move outwards towards less dense urban areas and then rural areas, where individual mobility will most likely always dominate. I suggest it is a poor assumption to assume most pensioners are 'time rich', many I know say they are busier in retirement doing far more things during the day than when they were working. They also can't carry as much as when younger, so need to get from home to the bus stop just as, if not more, burdened as the rest of us. And trudging any distance to/from a bus stop in the wind/rain/snow/ice then waiting ages isn't a pull factor to use the current approach to public transport.

Personal security, personal freedom, personal comfort and flexibility to travel whenever are also major considerations for quality of life of all.

Sustainable community planning to allow people to live close to work, education, shopping and social facilities can help to reduce the need for people to travel everywhere by car.