This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: Is having Physics A-level a 'must have' to do an Engineering Degree?

My son wants to be an engineer when he grows up. He is doing his GCSE’s this year and getting ready to choose his A-Levels, but his school has a new physics teacher, whom he HATES! He is now adamant he won’t be choosing physics at A-Level, but I’m worried that he’ll struggle to get onto an engineering course at a good university without it.

He doesn’t want to change schools as all his friends are staying; it’s one of the best schools in the area and local too, so I don’t really want him to have to move either. So my question is, does he need a physics A-Level or can he get by without it?

A-Level dilemmas - Darlington

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

• I would say no but my route into engineering was a bit different to most.

Recommend that an A level in mathematics is a must.

i didn’t do A levels at all.

Went straight from school into military were I did a NVQ level 3 Telecommuinications Installation apprenticeship.

after 7 1/2 years I left and trained as an electrician and went into industry with two trades

• Andy Millar:

Emma Blackburn:

I actually did Chemistry, Geography and English A levels. [...] It also had the advantage of broadening my knowledge ...

Personally I couldn't agree more. I think at least one non-science subject is really useful for broadening the knowledge of undergraduate engineers - I wrote at length elsewhere that excellent engineering is about communicating with non-engineers to use technology to understand and then solve their problems in the context of their society. So pretty much any subject is going to come in useful here: English (or language of choice) and geography as you say, or history, art, drama, or (as in my case), music, sociology and psychology. (Ok, due to various constraints I only got half way through the first two at A level, but they were still very useful.) Probably lots of others I can't think of at the moment.

I'm honestly not sure how university admissions departments view this - I expect it very much depends on the university?

Students traditionally took 3 A Level subjects so it was a wise choice to ensure that the subjects were compatible with each other and relevant for the university course. A more modern practice is to take 3 A Levels and an AS Level which provides a greater opportunity for more diverse subject combinations. There are still questions about whether the fourth subject should be a potentially useful addition in terms of knowledge or very distant in terms of knowledge in relation to a university course or a career along with whether it is best to have a facilitating or non-facilitating subject.

A / AS Levels in law, economics, or business studies, are potentially more useful in terms of knowledge to engineers than history, English literature, or Latin are, although the first group are non-facilitating subjects and the second group are traditional facilitating subjects. None of these subjects are particularly well understood by admissions tutors in engineering departments (as they are used to seeing STEM subjects) so the perception of a particular subject may differ. Pyschology and sociology are almost in a twilight zone as they are both non-facilitating subjects and unfamiliar to most admissions tutors.

If an applicant has an unusual combination of A Level subjects, or subjects distant in terms of knowledge in relation to a university course, then it will amost certainly be queried in an interview.

Personal enthusiasm for a subject distant in terms of knowledge in relation to a university course can impress. There was a case of an applicant for a physics degree who had an AS Level in classical civilisation (in addition to A Levels in mathematics, further mathematics, and physics) because he had a keen interest in ancient history and archaeology. However, picking a distant subject simply to broaden knowledge, or use the other side of your brain, will not always pay off.

I'm not confident myself that arts and humanities A Levels (or any A Levels for that matter) are particularly helpful and beneficial when it comes to acquiring the skills to communicate technical stuff to a non-technical audience because they were not designed for that purpose. I think that reading various business communications books are a better choice. Very few engineers have ever studied English language beyond GCSE or technical and business English. This is an area that I feel needs more attention.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi - I think you may be asking the wrong questuion here. Maybe you could sit down with your son and ask why he does not like his teacher ("hates" is a very strong word!). I must admit whilst I really enjoyed chemistry and physics but having got high marks at 'O' level in chemistry - I am really that old - I was put into the top A level class where I struggled. I don't think the teacher liked me either. If you can encourage your son to keep at physics it will help him a lot. I gave up chemistry and was sad about it. We all have and will meet people we don't get on with, but try and make the best of it, it's not for long and remember "Experience is what you get when you are looking for something else!"

i know a young man who is really fascinated with washing machines. He has about 40 and is becoming a real expert. He's just got a job in that field. Is you son interested ina particular branch of engineering? Encourage him by spending time with him, visiting museums and places he is interested in. Time itogether is what is really precious.

Good luck,

Martin Letts
  • Dear Sir

I read with interest the problem you have posted.

I have a bit of a different approach for you to consider, however I have engaged with quantum physics to a great depth as I need to understand, as data transfer with fidelity expands, how I can achieve the requirement of precision and confidence of analysis.

I did a real apprenticeship with Rolls-Royce 1971 following GCE's aged 16.

I attained HNC engineering, and moved on to OU to complete a BSc in technology, to include Mathematics, Computing Science, Technology and Design.

Now this is the interest option , check out Hereford University (its new and different) as they are looking at what I think the world of engineering now requires 'Technologists' who better link engineering science (all aspects and there are many) ,computer programming and most importantly encompass an 'holistic' vision.

This is what I am, a technologist and with life wisdom, an insatiable appetite to still be operational in engineering science but with a focus on the technology NOT the management of the businesses.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Chris AePS