This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

And the first music CD you bought was by...?

On this day in 1982 Sony launched the first CD player for the consumer market. I think many of us remember a time before the CD player and some of us may even still have our vinyl collection stashed away in the attic (although I understand that Vinyl has been making a bit of a comeback recently so I'm hopeful of being able to play mine again sometime soon... smiley). 

I bought my very first CD player in 1986 after I'd left school and started work and saved enough money to buy my very own. It wasn't a Sony though. Instead I bought a Pioneer music stack system that had a tape deck, FM radio and a 6 CD multi-changer!  The ultimate in technology at the time... laugh 

So it got me thinking... Do you remember your very first CD player and what make was it? And what was the first music CD you bought too! 

My first music CD was Kick by INXS blush so I thought you may enjoy one of the tracks:

• Glenn Atkins:

First CD I bought was Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits...

Also the first CD I bought - although I bought it for work, not for home. In 1987 two of us were developing the SSL G series mixing desk which went on to become the large studio mixing desk of the late '80s and early '90s. They cost from £250,000 upward, we made 10 a month of them. Critical to this was the design of the EQ, which we thoroughly tested for operation and for audio excellence using - wait for it - our CD of Brothers in Arms. It was the only CD we had, I kid you not. I got to know that CD very well smiley

It was another 10 years before I bought my own first CD (and CD player), and I can't at the moment remember what it was - I didn't like the sound of the early D-A converters, certainly not the ones I could afford!

Photo below of what it's possible to design with that CD smileysmileysmiley (yes, I am still very chuffed that I had the chance to work on this...)

Solid State Logic SL 4000 G+ Console

• I forgot to add: "your first CD player" - that's easy, it's the same one I still have, Cambridge Audio CD4 SE. 20 years old now and still gorgeous - even if the backlight in the display hasn't worked for the last 10 years! *

Kudos to the guy in Richer Sounds who took one look at me when I went in and said "you'll like this one"...after listening to every player they had I totally agreed with him!

(* yes, I know I could try repairing it, but I'm scared of something more serious breaking if I try...)  

Cheers, Andy