This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Savoy Place History

I had the opportunity to visit Savoy Place with my little one today.  The Faraday Centre is a really nice resource and it's a shame I don't have the opportunity to make use of it a bit more often.

But as I was explaining that it has changed over the years (as things must), my little one didn't believe me that the old members coffee room used to be a dingy room in the basement behind the Faraday statue which was under the shop.  Also they were surprised when I mentioned some of the other things that have changed (like the foyer, the old library, etc).

I was wondering if anyone (IET staff or member) had archive pictures of what it used to look before the updates were made?  Unfortunately I was less of a shutter bug in those days.

Mark

• Elizabeth Morgan:

Mark Tickner:

One of these days I'll manage to get onto that roof terrace!  Do they post the opening days anywhere online?

IET Members can have a general look around on set days - next dates available are 28th, 29th, 30th, 31st August. No need to book. 

Unfortunately, I'm not regularly in London.  So unless you know the proposed dates in October (although I guess at some point it get's closed for the winter, except for New Years Eve.) and dates after those, it's unlikely it will be open for me.

• Mark Tickner:

Unfortunately, I'm not regularly in London.  So unless you know the proposed dates in October (although I guess at some point it get's closed for the winter, except for New Years Eve.) and dates after those, it's unlikely it will be open for me.

I'm not sure that it ever gets 'closed for winter' Mark Tickner‍ as I've been up there during an IET London event in late December... 

Perhaps one of the Savoy Place team can give us an update sean spencer‍ ?
  • I've had a reply (direct reply) from the team at Savoy Place and they tell me that the September dates for the roof terrace, open house day and the knowledge sharing sessions can be found on our website 

Hope that helps Mark Tickner‍ ?
  • Is it true that the New Year's Eve event is not happening this year? Shame if so - I was hoping to try and make it for once!
  • Apart from the Amy Johnson Sky Terrace, there's also the much smaller one outside the Riverside suite and a couple of years ago when attending an event in the Library I spotted another two terraces.  I bet you get an amazing view of the fireworks from the Sky Terrace.  Can see why you'd be keen to catch the view Andy Millar

• Dear Andy 

Thank you for your interest in New Year's Eve 2018/19

After three years of running successful New Year’s Eve we have decided to have a break in 2018 & will not be holding an event.  We will review again in 2019.

Kind regards, Amy Wilson

• Deborah-Claire McKenzie:

Apart from the Amy Johnson Sky Terrace, there's also the much smaller one outside the Riverside suite and a couple of years ago when attending an event in the Library I spotted another two terraces.  I bet you get an amazing view of the fireworks from the Sky Terrace.  Can see why you'd be keen to catch the view Andy Millar‍ 

They're more 'balconies' rather than terraces Deborah-Claire McKenzie‍. wink

• Way off topic but...how do you tag somebody's name in a post like that??? (Bet it's going to be something really obvious! Still, I'm only an analogue engineer...)

I'll keep my fingers crossed and diary clear for New Year 2019 then...
  • Hi Andy Millar

You just type @ and follow it with the beginning of their name and it should start showing you people to tag.  We'll forgive you for taking it off topic just this once wink
  • Thank you Fiona Dew‍ !!!