This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Maker Movement / Mending Things

Having finally received my E&T and read the section on repairing consumer items I wondered how many people here  actually mend/make things?

To start thing off I have attached a couple of pictures of recent repairs I have made. Did it make sense to make these repairs? I think so.

c04bbf54d6eaed567b1d64f690b8bcb5-huge-fridge-icebox-door-hinge-repair.jpg

09c4eb6b07e6a755f957564934bf5b49-huge-suitcase-wheel-repair.jpg

Best regards

Roger

• Carl Watkin:

We have become a throw away society, spurred by the relative cheapness and market abundance of the most commonly used items

Some methods of manufacture prevent repair. Sometimes, this is unavoidable, such as multilayer boards. Have a PC at home that almost certainly has a dry or broken joint in the motherboard - not worth even considering looking at it.

In other cases, for example clips on casings, I sometimes wonder whether they are designed that way for ease of manufacture ... or to make it devilishly difficult to repair. I wouldn't like to speculate on all the motives for any particular product, as I can see both sides of the argument for many.

However, a particular case which often causes me to start to boil up, is that of "wall warts" that are glued together ... and then the glue becomes brittle with the heat in use, and fails ... so the casing comes apart when you try and unplug it, leaving a very dangerous situation.
    angry

• It's great to see that not everything is just thrown away and that people are making a real effort (and a creative effort) to recycle and reuse.  The BBC have a programme on their mid-afternoon schedules called Money for Nothing where items headed for landfill are given a new lease of life - it would be really good to see some electrical items on there too :)

My own fixes tend to involve gaffer tape as I don't have the skills of an engineer! :)
  • For those occasions when you just can't repair things yourself, here's an excellent spares website that I'd recommend as its kept quite a few of our household appliances and other items going for several years www.buyspares.co.uk

• The Swiss are moving along with this:

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/good-as-new_switzerland-holds-first-nationwide--repair-day--/42556010

Best regards

Roger
  • In reply to Graham's point from some way up, my experience of lean manufacturing is that inability to repair is a byproduct rather than an aim. In practice, any bit of technology you can think of is so cheap now because of, say, clip together casing that it is cheaper to buy five of them and throw them away over a 10 year period as it was (say) 20 years ago to buy one that was kept going for 10 years through repair. And in any case developments in technology tend to mean that consumers press for the new one after two years anyway.

Personally I disagree with this view (partly for environmental reasons), and I am delighted that I have always worked in industries where products are designed to be kept going. Interesting that someone above mentions the rail industry, it would stagger visitors to my previous employer when I proudly showed them the 50 year old products on the shelf in our repair cell, which we would repair if we possibly could. "Surely that's bad for business, don't you want to sell them new ones?" they would say. No, what we wanted to sell was reliability and service. It's horses for courses.

It does wind me up when white goods shops try to sell extended warranties by saying "of course you can't expect these to last as long as they used to". I have been known to ask them why in that case they are selling goods they know to be shoddy!

Anyway, just finishing refurbishing four electric guitars as a favour for my local school, that was fun smiley  When will somebody invent a really good refurbishing coating for connectors? But I suppose I answered that question at the start of this piece!
  • In the latest E&T Tim Fryer is asking for tales of repairing rather than throwing away. This thread is a good start.
  • 30+ year old Kenwood Chef starts smoking (bad habit); a couple of new capacitors and away we go! Cakes - mmm yum yum.

• Another, in this case mechanical, fix. The pivot on my neighbors pruners broke. It looks like it was originally designed as a fabrication but was then changed to a casting on cost grounds. The tensile straight of the alloy chosen was not sufficient so both side plates cracked. Some hacksaw and file work produced two new stainless steel side plates, two new pivot pins took a few minutes on the lathe. The pins were silver soldered in one side and screwed the other with some thread retainer. Better than new.

93bf9427f1a17d49a9b8a3bc8ddac8a8-huge-dscf5787.jpg

85b8be967b4536ebd88ad72b88630d1e-huge-dscf5789.jpg
  • Hi Roger,

My experience with stainless steel (as a pig of a material to work with) is that you're underselling the skill you put into that - that's a lovely bit of work! I was going to put some photos up of some of my fixes but I'm a bit embarrased to now smiley

Cheers, Andy
  • Some of my "Frankenstein's" guitars built from scrap instruments (modelled by my son who is much better at playing them than me):
    05c35dc17e7afea617aed508db217f7c-huge-biscuit_crop.jpg

Biscuit tin electric slide guitar built in a couple of afternoons - one of which was teaching my son to use a router.
    7d34e2b2689f3a5d03eb95340280102e-huge-ubasses.jpg

Electric and electro-acoustic "u-basses" built from children's guitars - fantastic sounding instruments, no-one can work out where that deep bass sound is coming from.
    ab1e372ec447e65b2d9fcfd780215989-huge-fless_crop.jpg

Five string fretless bass from a beautiful neck aquired from a well known online auction site, a bass body I had lying around, and my own design of electronics. This is a serious instrument.
    925c59b70f18abccac7231177a640136-huge-sword.jpg

Ross, who is heavily into all things medieval, said "can I have a bass shaped like a sword?" As a true engineering dad, I said he could if he made it himself. It's taken a while but we finished it this summer - it's actually remarkably good! As ever, made from pretty much all scrap parts but with some serious woodworking this time.

Cheers, Andy