Website service announcement

The online community is now in a ‘read only’ mode whilst we transfer our forum and blog content to their new home in IET EngXTM 

Update: The launch of our new online community IET EngX is taking a little longer than anticipated!

We want to make sure that everything is tidy in the new community  so Engineering Communities will remain in read-only mode until w/c 6th December.

Read our latest blog post for more information. 

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide
L.E.D. Zebras.
Zoomup
4231 Posts

Who'd have thought it?

12 Replies
wallywombat
557 Posts

I've always thought the main problem with zebra crossings is that it hard for a driver a spot whether there are people waiting to cross (especially where there are many people around). To get round this I have a cunning proposal. They should put a button near each crossing that people can press to indicate that they wish to cross. This would control a red light that would cause traffic to slow down and stop. Perhaps there could also be light for the pedestrians, which could change from red to green to indicate that the traffic has been halted and that it is now safe to cross. Perhaps I should patent this idea.

mapj1
4444 Posts

books for children or adults in the publishing world, and similar in the traffic.

The other one is the Toucan, for bikes…  F

or a motorist, they are all the same, stop when red, and try not to hit folk crossing at the wrong time, for someone will.

Mike.

Zoomup
4231 Posts

Some Belisha beacons are now solar powered.

Mr. B. would be proud.

Belisha Beacons | Home of the Solar Belisha Beacon | Homepage

Z.

Zoomup
4231 Posts

Leslie's invention.

Belisha beacon - Wikipedia

Does anyone remember the slippery stainless steel ground studs at zebra crossings that caused many a slip up and people going a*** over apex in wet weather?

Z.

Tomgunn
246 Posts

Distracting - Dangerous!

Chris Pearson
3262 Posts

Zoomup: 
Pelicans and puffins. What's the difference?

Quite a lot!

For cars, pelicans have a flashing amber phase, puffins do not.

For pedestrians, pelicans have the green and red men on the other side, puffins have them on the same side, so once you have started, you don't know when to start running. Pelicans have a fixed period (depending upon the width of the road), puffins have sensors so in theory you get as long as you need to cross. Pelicans abort the request to stop if a pedestrian is no longer waiting. All clever stuff.

I know that crossing - must have a look some time. 🙂

ebee
1409 Posts

Wow what a good idea that crossing. What next? I bet it will be shoes that glow witch LEDs , just mark my words, it will happen one day

Zoomup
4231 Posts

Chris Pearson: 

Zoomup: 
Pelicans and puffins. What's the difference?

Quite a lot!

For cars, pelicans have a flashing amber phase, puffins do not.

For pedestrians, pelicans have the green and red men on the other side, puffins have them on the same side, so once you have started, you don't know when to start running. Pelicans have a fixed period (depending upon the width of the road), puffins have sensors so in theory you get as long as you need to cross. Pelicans abort the request to stop if a pedestrian is no longer waiting. All clever stuff.

I know that crossing - must have a look some time. 🙂

Is that you Chris with the blue jeans and light coloured top?

Zoomup
4231 Posts

ebee: 

Wow what a good idea that crossing. What next? I bet it will be shoes that glow witch LEDs , just mark my words, it will happen one day

ebee may I introduce you to Wendy, the lady with too much spare time.

wallywombat
557 Posts

I think the puffins (which have the “ok to cross” light on the same side as you) are dangerous. At least twice I have started to cross when I misinterpreted which crossing the light indicated  - e.g.  where you're on a traffic island with two crossings close to each other at 90 degrees, and one of the poles holding the “green man” sign is near both crossing points.

davidwalker2
167 Posts
They have had LED crossings in Spain for several years. The crossings have a presence detector that lights up the crossing and pedestrian making them very visible. When I have used them, both as a driver and pedestrian I have felt quite safe. Spanish motorists tend to be more willing to stop at crossings than UK drivers anyway (and you can usually tell the UK pedestrians - they thank the motorists for stopping)

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide