Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide
Yer get nowt fer nowt (as we say Up North)
gkenyon
1852 Posts
7 Replies
Chris Pearson
3186 Posts

No wonder that there is global warming if people (southern softies?) set their thermostats to 25 deg C!

Grumpy
130 Posts

Here in pedants' corner we say “oop north” and “nowt for owt” but I'm guessing you're the wrong side of the Pennines Graham!

gkenyon
1852 Posts

Grumpy: 

Here in pedants' corner we say “oop north” and “nowt for owt” but I'm guessing you're the wrong side of the Pennines Graham!

Absolutely. I'm not sure how the Duchy of Lancaster is on the wrong side of the Pennines though? ‘Bet y've bin cloggin' it far t'of'n on't'Ilkley Moor wi'owt'n'at? (Now that's proper Notlob for you.)

ebee
1368 Posts

There`s only us Norfs which does talk reet. We leave those softy Sarfs far behind

Upset the crabs? Now I wonder who has a new-fangled degree in crab psychology? The crabs might well like the warmth around the cable!

Zoomup
4089 Posts

Grumpy: 

Don't you mean “owt for nowt” meaning that you do not get anything for nothing?

gkenyon
1852 Posts

Zoomup: 

Grumpy: 

Don't you mean “owt for nowt” meaning that you do not get anything for nothing?

I think we know what we mean, even if no-one else does.

I really meant (and stick by) “nowt for nowt”, that is “You get nothing for [i.e. if you pay] nothing".

I guess the Yorkshire version is “Tha' don't get owt fer nowt” or similar - difference being the negative of the verb before “anything” means you don't need to apply the negative to “anything” (becoming “nothing”) the way we do in parts of Lancashire 🤔

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide