Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide
Saying No.
Zoomup
3856 Posts

I have been advised by respected forum members to say “No” more often. So this week I tried it. And it worked. Well, I suppose it did.

A boatyard on the Norfolk Broads rents out pleasure craft, has holiday chalets and houseboats etc. It has a small toilet/shower block. I was asked to install a new hot air hand drier in the gents W.C. The ladies W.C. has already got one. After much searching I found the origin of the circuit, a B32 M.C.B.

The shower block has one 8.5kW electric shower unit and the one, say 13 Amp hand drier in the ladies W.C. plus lighting. The main supply cable is a long 6.0mm2 underground S.W.A. cable.

I said that the additional load of a new hand drier may, under the right set of circumstances, trip off the B32 M.C.B. and totally disconnect the shower block. 

So I had to decline the offer of more work.

A result!

And, the new cooker hood that the boatyard people had already purchased for a holiday chalet, would not fit to replace a faulty one as its outlet was on top and the original was at the back. The new one was not convertible.

Fate?

Z.

3 Replies
MrFox
22 Posts

Saying ‘no’ can seem very hard, but actually what you are saying is, ‘I have the requisite knowledge and training and I think this is a bad idea and if you insist, get someone else to take the fall.’ WELL DONE! It's hard, but gets easier.

grubbym
11 Posts

as i used to say to some of my customers that wanted everything, ‘everything is possible, it’s just a case of how much you are willing to give up to get it!'

Qbit
14 Posts

could you not have offered to run in a new circuit ?

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide