This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Coal Generation G7.

Many old coal mines had their own electrical generators. They were self sufficient and had a good reliable supply for essential equipment like ventilation fans, water pumps, winder winch, lifting gear and coal cutters etc.  In the U.K. in about 1950 colliery generating plants were shut down and the supplies were obtained from the Electricity Boards. This was a bit of a shame really, as unmarketable grades of coal could be used at the colliery generating plants' boilers.

Now Old King Coal is an enemy it appears.

G7 to agree tough measures on burning coal to tackle climate change - BBC News

Z.
  • Can't the nasty fumes be filtered?

Coal mining film history.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+1940s+coal+mining+U.K.&docid=608051873257822844&mid=A7FA3AFED1F444CAB024A7FA3AFED1F444CAB024&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Z.
  • this really gets my goat  il say it again global warming is a myth it don't exist come on Boris get a grip
  • Kelly Marie Angel:

this really gets my goat  il say it again global warming is a myth it don't exist come on Boris get a grip

I don't think that there is any doubt that the climate has been getting warmer, but the cause is less clear.

• A lot of colliery generating plant was DC which was falling out of favour by the 1950s.

Often miners homes near the pit were supplied from the same system. DC was fine for lighting, heating, and early types of radio set, but was not optimum for modern appliances nor for fluorescent lighting.

DC mains largely "went out with the war", at least for new installations, though use of existing supplies continued until surprisingly recently in a few cases.

DC mains were generally 3 wire, with 200 to 240 volts from either pole to the earthed venter wire, and 400 to 480 volts between outers for large motors.

Incandescent street and similar lighting was supplied at the lower voltage. Arc lamps were usually connected between outers with 8 or 9, or 10 arcs in series.

Some collieries used electrical equipment below ground, but this generally had to be flameproof and was therefore very costly, bulky and heavy.

Compressed air was often favoured as being safer. The air compressors were above ground and sometimes electric, but steam engine drive was popular.
  • Can't the nasty fumes be filtered?

In principle yes - you could use a combination of flue gas desulfurization and carbon capture and storage (CCS). But it's expensive (making other sources far more attractive economically) and with CCS you're left with the problem of what do do with all the waste CO2 - which doesn't naturally degrade into anything less problematic and will cause all the havoc you're trying to avoid if it ever escapes back into the atmosphere (in some ways reminiscent of the problems of nuclear waste).

I don't think that there is any doubt that the climate has been getting warmer

Agreed - things are certainly changing - just ask any older gardener. When I was a lad growing up in west Wales we reckoned daffodils were a daft symbol for St David's day - since they were never out by 1st March (if you wanted one you had to buy an imported one from a shop). Nowadays I can often have some ready for about March 1st in the cooler part of Yorkshire and I'm told that in West Wales they've often finished by then. Likewise we're having to deal with pests that were unknown - one of my elderly neighbours asked if I knew anything about these "slugs with shells" that were plaguing his garden - having gown up down south I was of course familiar with snails, but there were apparently unknown up here. Seems that slugs can survive the traditional cold Yorkshire winters by burrowing deep into the soil for protection - but their shells prevent snails doing that. Now that the winters are a little less harsh the snails can survive. And when was the last time we actually had April Showers in April? What's worrying is that the general consensus amongst those that study such things is that this is just the beginning.

- Andy.
  • The most interesting graph you will ever see is the Muna Loa CO2 level. During the "Pandemic" where fossil fuel usage is down 20% at least, there is absolutely no variation in the increasing CO2 level. Even if the UK did what Boris wants we only produce about 1.5% of world CO2, our stopping would therefore make zero difference. Of course, more rational reading of the graph says that the CO2 level is not what does anything, and it does not come from fossil fuels. Looking back a few years, (well quite a lot) CO2 levels were much bigger sometimes, much smaller at others, but nothing bad happened! Proved, the Global Warming (oops should have said climate change as cooling is actually happening at the moment) is not manmade and we can do nothing about it. G7, useless talking shop, nothing will happen.
  • davezawadi (David Stone):

The most interesting graph you will ever see is the Muna Loa CO2 level. During the "Pandemic" where fossil fuel usage is down 20% at least, there is absolutely no variation in the increasing CO2 level. Even if the UK did what Boris wants we only produce about 1.5% of world CO2, our stopping would therefore make zero difference. Of course, more rational reading of the graph says that the CO2 level is not what does anything, and it does not come from fossil fuels. Looking back a few years, (well quite a lot) CO2 levels were much bigger sometimes, much smaller at others, but nothing bad happened! Proved, the Global Warming (oops should have said climate change as cooling is actually happening at the moment) is not manmade and we can do nothing about it. G7, useless talking shop, nothing will happen.

Sigh. Where to begin?

Why have you put pandemic in quotation marks?

Do you have citation for the 20% drop?

So we only produce 1.5% of CO2? But we only have 1% of the world population. I only consume 0.000000000000001% of the world's packaging. I guess I should just start chucking my litter on the street.

We know well how much of atmospheric CO2 comes from fossil fuels due to isotope analysis. Short answer is it mostly comes from fossil fuels.

Looking back over the last million years or so, CO2 levels have been in the range 180-280 ppm roughly, apart from the last 200 years where they've suddenly shot up to over 400 ppm. In the much longer term of course they've varied much more widely as has the earth's orbit etc.

You may of course be right and climate scientists may be completely wrong, but personally I'd take their opinions more seriously over what I'd read on wattsup.

• mmmm afraid it is zoomup , and around 40% of the worlds electricity is from thermal coal , so a few more to close and be decommisioned, some are not very efficient either , only about 10coal plants achieve over 40% conversion of the coals energy into electricity kw theres the nox and sox also .
  • AJJewsbury:

Likewise we're having to deal with pests that were unknown - one of my elderly neighbours asked if I knew anything about these "slugs with shells" that were plaguing his garden ...

My earliest memories of winter were 1962/63 and 1963/64. It certainly seemed to be colder then, but we lived in Aberdeen and not on the south coast. I do not think that we can depend upon memories of cold snaps and heatwaves as indicators of climate change. This year, my early potatoes nearly got wiped out by frost after Easter. I have lived in the same area for 30 years and cannot remember frost that late. By contrast in 2003, I planted my potatoes exceptionally early and there can have been no frost at all after January because they were doing very well when I returned home from war in May.

I can assure Andy that there were plenty of snails in the East Riding when I was a wee boy in the sixties. Snails are a source of fascination for small children, but I wouldn't want to pick up a slug. ?

• AJJewsbury:
    Can't the nasty fumes be filtered?

In principle yes - you could use a combination of flue gas desulfurization and carbon capture and storage (CCS). But it's expensive (making other sources far more attractive economically) and with CCS you're left with the problem of what do do with all the waste CO2 - which doesn't naturally degrade into anything less problematic and will cause all the havoc you're trying to avoid if it ever escapes back into the atmosphere (in some ways reminiscent of the problems of nuclear waste).

I don't think that there is any doubt that the climate has been getting warmer

Ref. CO2. Just pump it into tomato green houses to promote growth.

My neighbour said that he had to turn his flat heating on longer this year, up until about three weeks ago. Global warming, no, I don't think so. It has only recently got warm in the U.K. and it is nearly the longest day.

Z.