Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide
Plugs.
Zoomup
3166 Posts
Which company made a plug to B.S. 546 which had shrouded "non-closing" pins that were insulated at the body of the plug like modern 13 Amp. plugs of today?

Which company made a fused round pin plug to B.S. 546 that carried a spare fuse inside it clipped onto the cover?

What was the material from which they were made called? Clue "J*******"

Z.

7 Replies
AdrianWint
53 Posts
Zoomup:

Which company made a fused round pin plug to B.S. 546 that carried a spare fuse inside it clipped onto the cover?

MK. These were the only plug which were allowed to be used in the 2A outlets in our rooms at Uni Halls of residence. Two sockets per room & six rooms all sharing a 5A MCB.

Oh the fun we had when we started to bring 14" colour TVs & PC monitors into our rooms!

I've never been to university but I do remember the accommodation block at a gov laboratory  had 1 5 amp socket in the rooms and all the people that lived there used to regularly fight over the 15 amp plugs in the hallway for there kettles  ii was told if too many kettles were used at once an alarm would sound
Zoomup
3166 Posts
AdrianWint:
Zoomup:

MK. These were the only plug which were allowed to be used in the 2A outlets in our rooms at Uni Halls of residence. Two sockets per room & six rooms all sharing a 5A MCB.

Oh the fun we had when we started to bring 14" colour TVs & PC monitors into our rooms!

I have seen that in student accommodation rooms. Just 2 Amp three pin sockets. (Round pins) The local electrical shop sold converter leads comprising a 2 Amp plug to a 13 Amp trailing socket. The in house maintenance team was always renewing blown fuses in local fuse boxes.

Z.

Zoomup
3166 Posts
Well, the information was obtained from my "Crabtree Electrical Handbook" dated 1947. Second edition priced at 2/6 net.

5 and 15 Amp rectangular plugs were available with or without fuses fitted. The fuses available for the 5 Amp round pin plugs were, 1,2,3 and 5 Amp. rated.

The material used to mould the plug bodies was called "Jacelite".

Z.

Simon Barker
910 Posts
I made my own adaptor up, with a 4-way socket strip connected to a 2A plug.  Back then, the 4-way sockets often came with a fuse holder built in, so I fitted a 3A fuse.  I was sensible enough not to blow the fuse ever.

I haven't managed to find the 2A fused plugs for sale when I have done a search recently.  A previous owner of my house obviously liked the 2A sockets for lamps, as I have them in the bedroom and living room.  I would be happier if my bedside lamp and uplighter were on fused plugs, though I don't suppose there's any real risk protecting a lamp flex by a B6 MCB.
Denis McMahon
346 Posts
Zoomup:
AdrianWint:
Zoomup:

I have seen that in student accommodation rooms. Just 2 Amp three pin sockets. (Round pins) The local electrical shop sold converter leads comprising a 2 Amp plug to a 13 Amp trailing socket. The in house maintenance team was always renewing blown fuses in local fuse boxes.

Z.

Which cretins come up with ideas like these? A ring main with 13 A sockets would probably cost no more, and save the cost of personnel going around renewing fuses.

Denis McMahon
346 Posts
Zoomup:
Which company made a plug to B.S. 546 which had shrouded "non-closing" pins that were insulated at the body of the plug like modern 13 Amp. plugs of today?

What was the material from which they were made called? Clue "J*******"

Z.

Crabtree made BS 546 sockets with shrouded pins. They were incorporated in "interlocking plugs", which could not be plugged into their special sockets unless the switch was off. Likewise, the plug could not be removed if the switch was on. This was achieved by a "waist" in the earth pin, which engaged with a locking device in the plug. I think these were compatible with ordinary plugs and sockets.

As far as I remember, Crabtree was first to introduce shrouded pins on 13 A plugs, several years before they became compulsory. When I bought plugs I used to seek them out.

The other questions have been answered.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide