This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Ancient Electric Water Heating.

I agree with your answers elsewhere.

The book assumes an efficiency of 88 per cent in its text on the subject  (not mentioned in the question) . It uses the formula:

Gallons = kW X time in hours X 300/ Temp. rise in degrees F.

Not too difficult, even in non metric units.

Z.

• I wonder how long this one will last? ?

The moderators seem to be very busy for a weekend, or has it all been automated?
  • It depends on if it’s a resistance heater or one of the new Microwave Boilers 

https://www.heatwayv.com/
  • How is the Heat Wayv different to a resistive/immersion coil?

An immersion coil is an electrical resistance element that simply transfers direct heat into a volume of liquid. The rate of electrical current transfer in the element has some corresponding loss in the transmission, delivering approx. 99.5% of its energy into the liquid.

However, there is dissipated volumetric loss that directly affects thermal efficiency which has to be taken into consideration when evaluating overall performance. This thermal loss equates to 1% per radial centimetre from the element during its heating phase and once temperature is attained 03% loss per radial centimetre during its stand-by reheating phase. Accordingly, an immersion coil situated in a tank with a diameter of 450mm (R225mm) would be just over 75% efficient during the high-energy consuming heating phase.

This type of unit is ordinarily used to heat hot water only.

By contrast, a Heat Wayv consistently maintains efficiency without operational loss and achieves the required space and hot water temperatures on-demand by using an innovative optimised three-phase heating cycle. Firstly, it fully maximises current resistance in signal generation and amplification by utilising convected waste heat to elevate the initial water temperature. Secondly, 100% of the generated microwave signal is transferred into the liquid via confined cavities and highly dielectric materials to reach nominal thermal temperature. Finally, optimal usage temperature is attained and maintained by latent heat transfer into the liquid through the use of proprietary exothermic diffusing insulation.

• Sparkingchip:

It depends on if it’s a resistance heater or one of the new Microwave Boilers 

A standard old resistance element Sparking.

Z.

• Sparkingchip:

How is the Heat Wayv different to a resistive/immersion coil?

An immersion coil is an electrical resistance element that simply transfers direct heat into a volume of liquid. The rate of electrical current transfer in the element has some corresponding loss in the transmission, delivering approx. 99.5% of its energy into the liquid.

However, there is dissipated volumetric loss that directly affects thermal efficiency which has to be taken into consideration when evaluating overall performance. This thermal loss equates to 1% per radial centimetre from the element during its heating phase and once temperature is attained 03% loss per radial centimetre during its stand-by reheating phase. Accordingly, an immersion coil situated in a tank with a diameter of 450mm (R225mm) would be just over 75% efficient during the high-energy consuming heating phase.

By contrast, a Heat Wayv consistently maintains efficiency without operational loss and achieves the required space and hot water temperatures on-demand by using an innovative optimised three-phase heating cycle. Firstly, it fully maximises current resistance in signal generation and amplification by utilising convected waste heat to elevate the initial water temperature. Secondly, 100% of the generated microwave signal is transferred into the liquid via confined cavities and highly dielectric materials to reach nominal thermal temperature. Finally, optimal usage temperature is attained and maintained by latent heat transfer into the liquid through the use of proprietary exothermic diffusing insulation.

This sounds like snake oil to me. I am quite happy with 99.5 per cent efficiency.

Z.

• Chris Pearson:

I wonder how long this one will last? ?

The moderators seem to be very busy for a weekend, or has it all been automated?

Not to worry Chris, it's just a personal vendetta.

Z.

• Sparkingchip:

It depends on if it’s a resistance heater or one of the new Microwave Boilers 

They are fascinating.

I have decided to decode their sales bull for the greater good.

from
    their FAQ

How is the Heat Wayv different to a resistive/immersion coil?

Tosh!

The only loss of heat is via conduction to the ends of the elements ,and or out through the sides of the vessel holding the water. Unless they meant voltage drop in the wiring feeding the tank, then it is a few percent. Some energy is used to create convective motion, but that on the other hand is much less than 0.5%.

However, there is dissipated volumetric loss that directly affects thermal efficiency which has to be taken into consideration when evaluating overall performance.
    (piffle this means nothing at all and may as well be giberish)
    This thermal loss equates to 1% per radial centimetre from the element during its heating phase and once temperature is attained 03% loss per radial centimetre during its stand-by reheating phase. Accordingly, an immersion coil situated in a tank with a diameter of 450mm (R225mm) would be just over 75% efficient during the high-energy consuming heating phase.
    There is a thermal gradient in the immersion  tank while it is warming, yes, so the water near the element is heated first, and so is hotter then the water at the edge. So what ? This is not 'lost' energy - once the water starts to flow we can still use it.

Agree, and about the only true statement on this page

By contrast, a Heat Wayv consistently maintains efficiency without operational loss and achieves the required space and hot water temperatures on-demand by using an innovative optimised three-phase heating cycle. 
    I'm not sure what this means, I  wonder if they mean it is an instant water heater where the temperature gradient is in the water chamber is more uniform than normal?

Firstly, it fully maximises current resistance in signal generation and amplification by utilising convected waste heat to elevate the initial water temperature.
    Waste heat !!? Waste heat  - what from? This tells us the 30% - 50%  efficient microwave generator is water cooled I presume and the incoming water runs over it first as a preheater.

Secondly, 100% of the generated microwave signal is transferred into the liquid via confined cavities and highly dielectric materials to reach nominal thermal temperature.

Ignoring the fact that microwaves do not normally have a temperature ( ever stick a thermometer up a guided photon anyone ? ) I assume they mean like the microwave oven, the RF energy is ducted by a waveguide with a dielectric window in the end, into a microwave reverberation chamber used to heat the water.

Finally, optimal usage temperature is attained and maintained by latent heat transfer into the liquid through the use of proprietary exothermic diffusing insulation.

So the temp gradient is not that good, and it needs to be spread around to mix hot and cold spots.

Seems an over complicated way of making a flash boiler to me. The risk of chalk and failing elements is replaced by the risk of failing microwave source and power supply.

M.