This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Is there a deficit of engineering principle as a result of the UK skills gap?

I'm extremely proud to finally be able to share this with everyone, the publication is linked in the below article, alternatively this can be found on my profile. PLEASE take some time to have a read, feedback is appreciated.

https://lnkd.in/g5cPMrS

#apprentice #apprenticeships #engineering #graduateengineer #skills #author #skillsgap #ukmanufacturing #diversity

• Thank you for sharing this work and contributing to the research! I found it very interesting; I believe the data you received in the surveys to be agreeable with my general feelings too. The government needs to get their act together if they want engineering to flourish in this country; companies need vast funding to buy new machinery, employ ‘Engineers’ and support further professional development to remain current with other highly regarded countries. I feel that the “Made in Britain” label no longer carries the same value it had in the past.

I've provided some additional in-depth feedback below.

I believe there's little to engage young people with engineering; it's not an easy subject, but it's a rewarding career if you're willing to put in the effort. We are conditioned to expect instant gratification; I believe young people are being led into an illusion by pre-Univesity education, which leads to poor choices. Academic inflation is something we need to get comfortable with; we, therefore, need to make sure degrees are relevant to the requirements of the economy and provide funding where necessary. We wish an 18-year-old student to have known what they want from life since they were at least 13; I don't think this is a realistic expectation, which may be why we don't have as many students on engineering courses. I strongly support degree apprenticeships; I believe this is the best route to encourage people of all ages to enter into engineering. One issue I have with universities (as a past student) is the expectation that their students will enter the workforce as competent employees; they overlook the need for real-life experience in their chosen subject and often teach irrelevant content not applicable to the workplace. Degree apprenticeships provide the work experience, employer support and funding opportunities; I believe this model is much more attractive for many who wish to enter a career in engineering. I mentor a young individual in my workplace who is undertaking a degree apprenticeship; he told me that he wouldn't have gone to University if he couldn't access such a course. The company I work for has been able to use their compulsory levy funding to cover the costs; they get a trainee engineer four days a week, and only need pay the salary requirements. I feel many more businesses could benefit from engaging with degree apprenticeships; most want skilled engineers who can hit the ground running, but as is apparent with the potential skills shortage, we don't always have this luxury. If companies can commit to such schemes, they can help build the people they need instead of expecting degree students to have years of experience, which is unrealistic if they're not offering students those opportunities in the first place. 

I briefly want to mention the designation of engineer that’s cited in the research introduction. I think it's disgraceful that the title of ‘Engineer’ isn't protected in the UK; it's so often misused, which waters down the hard work of those who are true engineers. I see many people using the title, which misleads the public into a false sense of security, in turn, devaluing engineers! Many other countries protect the title for this very reason, so why not the UK? We have a legacy from the past of being a great country for engineering; can we claim this anymore. I believe the Engineering Council could do better to lobby this protection; I’d think it’d be in their interest, so how do we engage the IET to pressure them?
  • Hello Harry,

Thankyou for not only taking the time to read my research but also understand it. I think the majority of engineers will agree 100% with your comments. I myself undertook an apprenticeship and continued all the way (part time) to doing a masters degree, and this route has been exciting and educating and has also given me the balance of been a very practical engineer whilst also been very scientific and technical. The degree apprenticeship is the best course currently available to young people and it is quite frustrating that this is only available in specific places. From what I have done (i.e apprenticeship all the way to university) and the my personal conclusion I came to understand when performing the research I believe the education of young engineers should be split into three catagories as follows:  

Apprenticeship - the apprenticeship should encompass a HNC level qualification giving the individual advance technical knowledge in addition to practical skills. The end qualification should allow the individual the ability to progress onto a part time bachelor's degree. Apprentice ship schemes offered should be condensed to the following catagories: Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Fabrication and Welding. At the end of the apprentice ship (inc the HNC) the individual can hold the title "Engineer". If the apprentice undertakes the 3 year version in which they do not have the HNC then they can only hold the title of "Technician" until they perform further education. 

Degree - A degree designed for someone who's mind is more technically biased which will involve them undertaking advance mathematics and scientific methods and small amounts of practical engineering. Upon graduation they can hold the title "Technical Technician", course can be made available to help these individuals progress into holding the "Engineer" title. 

Degree Apprenticeship - having mixed the advanced scientific knowledge, the workplace experience and the practical skills training. Upon graduating this course the individual can hold the title "Technical Engineer".

I feel if more defined paths of engineering were given and awarded titles were controlled more this would lead to more individuals  been more qualified and better skilled, and with the three levels of training available this would allow the engineering teams in a workplace to be more centered and knowledgeable.
  • I enjoy reading research, especially on the matter of educating future engineers! I can't understand how the education system makes such a mess of engaging people with engineering (and other subjects). I strongly support the pathway you've taken to achieve a Masters level qualification (good work!); the apprenticeship model combined with part-time higher education is extremely valuable to the future of engineering. I know ‘engineers’ who took the traditional university route; they leave with minimal hands-on experience, and they aren't willing to get their hands dirty; instead, they want to design or manage. Due to the status that their degree holds, employers think them up to such responsibilities. I believe some can achieve the level of competence necessary at university; however, in my experience, not so. Someone who undertook a level three apprenticeship will work with people who build machinery - the technicians. Technicians are the ones who quite often understand how things work in a practical sense; they hold excellent knowledge and should be highly regarded by all. I ensure the degree apprentice I mentor spends a lot of his time with technicians; he can gain a lot of knowledge from them, which can be applied to his development. A non-apprentice trained degree individual can gain this knowledge too by following a similar path; however, in my experience, many hold themselves in too high regard to do “the dirty work”. I took the apprenticeship route and later studied at degree level; I cannot stress how vital the dirty work is to become a competent engineer (listen up, graduates).

To comment on your structure for titles, I think a good point is raised. As I've said, a university graduate is more of a theoretical engineer, which supports the need to identify their competence separately. If we were to protect titles and offer a more streamlined approach to professional registration, I believe that would be a good start! I know some incredibly talented technicians who don't necessarily have the qualifications up to level three, yet demonstrate great competence at their craft. Those technicians can register for EngTech, so I think that system works well. I believe professional registration is a great way protect titles; graduates would likely have difficulty demonstrating the competencies for IEng, so they will need to work on their skills to be able to call themselves an engineer. CEng is reserved for highly competent people and is an excellent symbol of trust. In short, I think the registration system is reasonably good, although it could be streamlined based on my experience. If we moved to protect titles, it would not only boost faith in our trade but encourage young people to want a highly regarded career. We protect Architects and insist they reach a level of competence before allowing the use of the title; why is the engineering sector treated so poorly in comparison.

I appreciate some people reading this have their opinions that contradict my own; I share my experience and belief on the subject and welcome constructive feedback.
  • I can only add my agreement to the above (both Sam & Harry). Apprenticeships are still hugely undervalued by most of society, especially by those in academia (or so it seems to me). Very few people know what they want to do at age 16 or even 18 so it is important that links between different pathways are maintained, both academically and in employment/training.

A little anecdote from my past:- as an apprentice we had folks turn up from university outside of term time (they were sponsored). They would then be 2 or three years older than us, but seemed almost childlike and naive in the ways of the world. Were we arrogant teenagers? yes of course, but there was still some truth in it. They largely lived in a cosseted world, looked after by the university. That is obviously not true of all, but it seemed many would have a lot of catching up to do once they joined the "real world".

Having done a few courses over the years (TEC/HNC/degree level, all part time) I really value the opportunities they gave me with the course material being only a small part of what I learned. Giving folks a chance to switch from technician type jobs to those requiring more academic qualifications can only be a good thing. Allow people a chance to go to the level they are comfortable with, which also works both ways.
  • I've skim read the document, a worthy excersize. Thankyou. I came up through the YTS apprentice route, had to self fund it after year 1, then paid for my own college on day release and lost a days pay to attend college up to 21 years old. So no support given from employers or government at a time when university was free (late 1980's). So I accept that I'm on my own from day one. (which suited me as there was general chaos in industry as manufacturing slowly got eroded) The college course I was on started with 60 electrical apprentices in year one by year 4 (technicians course) there were 7 of us left. There were manufacturing jobs to be had in my early career but things steadily moved to services. (which is where we are today). Question is do we want to manufacture? Do we need to manufacture? If so get on with it and have it supported by the government. (no support equals no manufacturing).

As for the term Engineer, I've been working in electrical installation for 38 years and don't feel worthy of the title, 'sparky's' a better fit. Though most electrician's I've met through my career are just fairly skilled labour unable to quote ohm's law.

Cheers
  • Harry H:

I briefly want to mention the designation of engineer that’s cited in the research introduction. I think it's disgraceful that the title of ‘Engineer’ isn't protected in the UK; it's so often misused, which waters down the hard work of those who are true engineers. I see many people using the title, which misleads the public into a false sense of security, in turn, devaluing engineers! Many other countries protect the title for this very reason, so why not the UK? We have a legacy from the past of being a great country for engineering; can we claim this anymore. I believe the Engineering Council could do better to lobby this protection; I’d think it’d be in their interest, so how do we engage the IET to pressure them?

UK Laws will only be introduced if there is a clear public interest in doing so. They will most certainly not be introduced to allow one profession to have a market advantage!

There is no public interest to be served by saying that only a protected title "Engineer" can design a piece of games software, or a chair, or computer mouse. If it fails and harms someone then the company that produces it is liable in law, so there is already adequate legal protection. Ok, so what about if an engineer takes personal responsibility for a risk? Well, if it's a common risk such as electrical wiring, gas installation, various aviation roles, railway signalling inspection etc then those engineering roles are protected in law - despite a degree in electrical engineering I cannot (quite rightly) fit an electrical installation in my bathroom. If it's an uncommon risk, such as those I get involved in assessing on the day job, then there are various regulatory bodies (UKAS in my case) that regulate the competence of the engineers involved, and will typically be looking for evidence of CEng, which is a protected title.

I'm not saying this is necessarily sufficient to protect the public interest,  and the law does change and develop (for example through the introduction of Part P and GasSafe), but in the 40 years I've been in the profession - and this question has always been raised during that - no-one has yet come up with a convincing argument for why it is in the public interest for all engineering roles to be regulated. And there is a good argument (if you're into market economics) to say it is against the public interest, by potentially putting up the cost of engineering services. You might not like that argument, but that's free market economics for you.

Anyway, how many school / university leavers become architects, compared to how many go into management, finance, marketing, and other industries with completely unprotected titles and with large earning capacity?

There's a reason the IET and other PEIs don't lobby to protect the title "Engineer", it's because it won't get anywhere and there's not seen to be any real public benefit. If you want to see the official answer it's here and well worth reading: https://www.engc.org.uk/glossary-faqs/frequently-asked-questions/status-of-engineers/

Sorry if this comes across as a bit of a rant, it's an effect of seeing the same discussion many many times! It is a really important point to discuss and understand, the whole question of legal liability in particular is hugely important. 

Thanks,

Andy

• Andy Millar:

There's a reason the IET and other PEIs don't lobby to protect the title "Engineer", it's because [...] there's not seen to be any real public benefit. 

P.S. Always remembering that the IET and PEIs are not trade unions, they have no remit to gain advantages for engineers unless this provides an overall public benefit.

• Andy Millar:
    Harry H:

UK Laws will only be introduced if there is a clear public interest in doing so. They will most certainly not be introduced to allow one profession to have a market advantage!

There is no public interest to be served by saying that only a protected title "Engineer" can design a piece of games software, or a chair, or computer mouse. If it fails and harms someone then the company that produces it is liable in law, so there is already adequate legal protection. Ok, so what about if an engineer takes personal responsibility for a risk? Well, if it's a common risk such as electrical wiring, gas installation, various aviation roles, railway signalling inspection etc then those engineering roles are protected in law - despite a degree in electrical engineering I cannot (quite rightly) fit an electrical installation in my bathroom. If it's an uncommon risk, such as those I get involved in assessing on the day job, then there are various regulatory bodies (UKAS in my case) that regulate the competence of the engineers involved, and will typically be looking for evidence of CEng, which is a protected title.

I'm not saying this is necessarily sufficient to protect the public interest,  and the law does change and develop (for example through the introduction of Part P and GasSafe), but in the 40 years I've been in the profession - and this question has always been raised during that - no-one has yet come up with a convincing argument for why it is in the public interest for all engineering roles to be regulated. And there is a good argument (if you're into market economics) to say it is against the public interest, by potentially putting up the cost of engineering services. You might not like that argument, but that's free market economics for you.

Anyway, how many school / university leavers become architects, compared to how many go into management, finance, marketing, and other industries with completely unprotected titles and with large earning capacity?

There's a reason the IET and other PEIs don't lobby to protect the title "Engineer", it's because it won't get anywhere and there's not seen to be any real public benefit. If you want to see the official answer it's here and well worth reading: https://www.engc.org.uk/glossary-faqs/frequently-asked-questions/status-of-engineers/

Sorry if this comes across as a bit of a rant, it's an effect of seeing the same discussion many many times! It is a really important point to discuss and understand, the whole question of legal liability in particular is hugely important. 

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my comments. 

I didn't intend to insinuate that we should protect the word 'Engineer' to create market advantage or anything else detrimental; I believe its function would be to demonstrate competency, but I appreciate that protecting the word might be difficult. I note that you suggest professional registration as the route forward; I agree, but many people don't seem to know what IEng or CEng means or apply value to it (in my experience). The overall feeling I have towards this subject is ensuring we have competent people in the right jobs; measuring competency against the UK-SPEC is great. As per your example, a Gaming Engineer needs to be competent at their job; professional registration helps ensure a company is employing someone who isn't going to cost them in a court of law. It's a bit pseudoscience, but look up the 'Peter Principle; it's the theory that everyone eventually reaches their level of incompetence. How do we protect against this - professional registration and Continuing Professional Development, in my opinion.

In summary, after some consideration, I believe protecting the word Engineer might not be the best way forward; promoting professional registration and adequate education/experience is.

I welcome your feedback as always.

Harry

• Harry H:

I didn't intend to insinuate that we should protect the word 'Engineer' to create market advantage or anything else detrimental;

[...]

In summary, after some consideration, I believe protecting the word Engineer might not be the best way forward; promoting professional registration and adequate education/experience is.

Hi Harry, 

Yes, my error, because posts on this are usually "the title engineer should be protected so I can earn more money" (usually disguised by the word "status") I did head off on that path rather quickly! Sorry about that.

On your other point I've pulled out, absolutely - this is why I volunteer on the professional registration side of the IET. And to be honest, I think it's less important whether engineers become formally registered, the more important part is the journey of benchmarking themselves against UKSpec.

The games designer example is an interesting one, before I moved into the development (and now assurance) of safety critical equipment for the rail industry my first career was designing very very expensive recording studio equipment. A hugely successful and creative company, still revered in its industry many years later, but when I joined (originally as a test engineer) I was the only electronics graduate - not one of the design team had a degree in electronics, let alone any professional registration. Now, with hindsight there are undoubtedly things we could have done better if more of us had followed all the provisions of UKSpec, but in terms of proportionate actions to manage risk it's more difficult whether they they would have gained real benefit against cost by pushing registration. (If the Chartered Manager standard had been around in those days, however, that may have made a big difference! Writing as CMgr as well as a CEng). Now, I do totally agree with you, and raise at every point I can, that we should be promoting UKSpec beyond just the usual utilities / safety critical industries / military. However, there needs to be a meeting of minds on this. The registration assessment process needs to appreciate that different industries have different ways that "professionalism" is presented, at present someone working in a fast moving, innovative, and low societal risk industry may feel (rightly or wrongly) they do not have a meeting of minds with a CEng assessment panel. It's not a failing (imho) of UKSpec, personally I'd have no problem now applying UKSpec to my past life (wish it had been there at the time!), but there's lots of nuances in how it's interpreted. I see this as very chicken and egg: unless we get more assessors in from these types of industries then professional registration won't be seen as relevant by them, but we won't get more assessors in unless it's seen as relevant. Make no mistake that in many industries (and even sectors of their core industries) the PEIs are often seen as out of touch "old boy's clubs". Any ideas as how to break this welcomed...

In the end, most engineering companies believe that they are perfectly competent to manage the competence of their engineering staff themselves, and have no need for third party accreditation. Where they are likely to need to justify in court that a particular engineer's judgement  can be relied on then they do use CEng. As has been discussed on many threads here, personally I believe this is why take up of IEng and EngTech is so low, for people in those roles it is far less likely that they will be making personal judgements on which the company relies to keep itself out of court - and if they are then they should probably be applying for CEng! So that's the other side of this discussion, the industry itself is not seeing that third party accreditation will do a better job then their own internal recruitment, promotion review etc process...and to be honest often they are probably right, we see one 5 page submission by an applicant for registration, and talk to them for 45 minutes, whereas their employer sees them day in and day out. (Incidentally, I was wondering what you were thinking of in your earlier post about "streamlining" the process? It already is just that, a 5 page job history (albeit carefully worded to demonstrate competences) and a short presentation.)

The Peter Principle is a book I know well and love, but unfortunately the effect is that if an an employer has reached their level of incompetence they won't realise, or accept, that they need third party help to assess their staff, whereas if they haven't reached their level of incompetence they don't need it!

But coming back up again (I'm well aware that was all a bit "down"), we're obviously both in agreement that wider application of professional registration (or at the very least benchmarking of engineers against UKSpec) would be of huge service to all practicing engineers and their employers. So how to make it happen.

Here's a radical idea: maybe we need a new PEI. One that encompasses engineers, of any discipline, who do not work in utilities / safety critical industries / military. Still applying UKSpec and working under EC remit, but providing a clearly welcoming home to those who work in the more creative and innovative, and less regulated and lower risk industries. 

Any more thoughts?

Cheers,

Andy

• Here's a radical idea: maybe we need a new PEI. One that encompasses engineers, of any discipline, who do not work in utilities / safety critical industries / military. Still applying UKSpec and working under EC remit, but providing a clearly welcoming home to those who work in the more creative and innovative, and less regulated and lower risk industries. 

Hi Andy,

I strongly support your idea of a PEI that incorporates other industries; like yourself, I have worked in the creative industry designing automation systems for touring shows. It would be possible for someone in the automation engineering team to gain professional registration; however, it might be no easy feat and much harder for other departments within that business. I believe the IET might be open to people from such sectors, but as you say, it all depends on the PRI interviewers knowledge of these niche markets! A few of my current engineering colleagues don't see any value in professional registration or membership of any PEI; from my understanding, this is due to your remark about them being "old boy's clubs".When I referred to making professional registration more streamlined, I would say this statement was a factor. I also agree that the process of reading an application and attending a short interview may not be the most accurate measure; however, I feel that the effort I went to in my application and the support of my referee to confirm my competence was a good starting point. The only problem with the latter is the IET has to take it at face value; I felt it would have been relatively easy to use anyone as a false valid reference, so maybe there's room for improvement. 

I agree with you regarding the benchmark of competency against the UK-SPEC; I encourage colleagues and friends to become registered with a PEI (IET); it's good for the individual and the industry. I'm very much swung in your direction on this occasion; the implications of legally protecting a title almost seem a bit silly now. For example, an Architect is protected, but to become an Architect, they have to meet the requirements of their PEI (RIBA). It would be illegal for someone to design a structure without being competent; however, as you've said, this is true of any job, namely due to the Health and Safety at Work Act (designed to punish). The only problem is someone who designs something that leads to a serious incident where they falsified their competencies to a client; I think the average person doesn't always know what credentials/competencies someone should have, i.e. I want a house designing, so I'll use 'Bodge it and Scarper Ltd' as they had the best price. I would hope my example isn't true, but I'm not that naive! In the case of my example, it's down to RIBA to educate the public; however, educating engineering companies and the like could be just as difficult. Sure, when it comes down to a company taking responsibility for those they employ, it's on their head, but I always tend to apply the Peter Principle in such instances. Ultimately, a company producing poor products or demonstrates a bad safety record is unlikely to survive anyway, so maybe it's not something to be concerned over; however, there will be those who will receive poor quality products and potentially get placed in a position of danger, so it all comes back to competency.

I don't think I've solved many problems with my response; maybe it's not possible to solve these issues?

Harry