Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
Exploding Balls.
Zoomup
2736 Posts
Has anyone any personal experiences of the Elide exploding ball type fire extinguisher. I believe that there are cheap fake copies about that do not work very well.

https://www.elidefire.com/

Z.
7 Replies
Chris Pearson
2495 Posts
There is some similarity with fire sticks - e.g. this one.

Triangle of fire - fuel, heat, oxygen. Get rid of any one of them and the fire goes out.

Problem is that if the fuel is still hot, as soon as the cloud clears, it can reignite. This one seems to have the added disadvantage of potentially starting a new fire with flying fragments of fuse.

I shall stick with AFFF, or CO2 for electrical fires.
Zoomup
2736 Posts
Chris Pearson:
There is some similarity with fire sticks - e.g. this one.

Triangle of fire - fuel, heat, oxygen. Get rid of any one of them and the fire goes out.

Problem is that if the fuel is still hot, as soon as the cloud clears, it can reignite. This one seems to have the added disadvantage of potentially starting a new fire with flying fragments of fuse.

I shall stick with AFFF, or CO2 for electrical fires.

But these devices are automatic in operation Chris, and can be useful in electrical cabinets etc.

Z.

Chris Pearson
2495 Posts
Zoomup:
But these devices are automatic in operation Chris, and can be useful in electrical cabinets etc.

OK, a fire gets ignited and the "bomb" puts it out. The arcing continues. Now what? Granted, an automatic CO2 system would have the same problem. Is there any official approval of these devices? What do the fire brigades say?

Zoomup
2736 Posts
Chris Pearson:
Zoomup:

OK, a fire gets ignited and the "bomb" puts it out. The arcing continues. Now what? Granted, an automatic CO2 system would have the same problem. Is there any official approval of these devices? What do the fire brigades say?

Yes there are international approval certificates for these devices.  (See online).  I don't know what the fire service chiefs say as yet. But the devices have been installed in a nuclear facility and other important locations.

Z.

ebee
1150 Posts
Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire ............................... Extinguishers

How much do these things cost?

I can`t see them as being safe for general use but in totally supervised locations then might (just might) have some merit

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in