Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
Mitsubishi Outlander 2.2 Di-Diamond - Electric Door Mirrors
Our 1999 model Mitsubishi car as above has had issues with the electric door mirrors for some time.  
Initially the Driver's side mirror would not open-out or if out, not return back in when ignition off etc.  Although under warranty, the dealer reluctant to attend to it. Eventually they replaced the motor/gearbox or whatever and all was ok. However the Passenger side mirror developed the same intermittent fault and again the dealer showed no interest in repair, saying that if the fault doesn't show when they see the car, they will not pursue it.  This is with a annually paid for extended warranty.
The extended warranty expired a few weeks ago and since the car is now too old, Mitsubishi's insurers will not renew my cover...
Needless to say the fault has come back.

Does anyone know how to access the workings of these door mirrors? (A sledge hammer comes to mind...)  I guess it could be the motor, limit switches or the cables where it comes from the door through a rubber boot.  But ideally, I would like to know the best way in.
Many thanks.

Clive

5 Replies
mapj1
3421 Posts
Outlander 1999
There are various misubishi owners forums and a quick search suggests  (example)that there are several Mitsubishi models with known mirror issues and fixes, maybe yours is one.

You may do better searching an on-line parts catalogue

Mike.
Zoomup
2736 Posts
I own an early 90s Mitsubishi Delica. I always investigate any cables that flex a lot, and also electrical connections that may get wet such as in doors where rain can fall down from the window. Next I look at the switches to check reliability. Finally I will investigate the offending item, such as the motorised mirrors. A leisurely investigation on a Sunday in the sun normally reveals the offending culprit.

Z,
Thanks Mike and Z

After I posted, I found a YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJG6nDCx6Cc of how to gain access and also one from the same poster on how to remove the interior door trim panel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU2xOwrTW2w which would give access to the switch.  I'm thinking here that although it is the pax side door mirror which is playing up, the overide and angling switches are located on the driver's door, so a failed cable could be either side.

Just need a nice dry sunny day now!  It is dry and sunny this afternoon, but a bit chilly.
Clive
Update>

Well, I swapped the mirrors over which proved that the wiring was good and that it was a fault within the nearside mirror. No easy access to internals, so have risked an eBay purchase of a 'used but good' mirror. It seems that most new ones are in primer, so that would add to the overall cost.  It arrived today and works OK.
Clive
mapj1
3421 Posts
Glad you got it fixed - the internet is really useful  in these sort of situations, replacing crawling over dead cars at the breakers yard and trying find a broken one to see how something comes apart.
Mike.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in