Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
U.K. Electrical Service Industries Gone to Pot.
Zoomup
2736 Posts
A customer I am working for phoned U.K.P.N. at my request to get a new P.M.E. earth terminal installed. A man attended the next day, which surprised me somewhat.  I think that the customer may have contacted the emergency dept. or said that it was an emergency to get faster treatment, but I don't really know. I would have thought that U.K.P.N. could have put her through to the right dept.

Anyway, she has two 60 Amp supplies at her new home which she intends to keep. U.K.P.N. man advised an upgrade to 100 Amp per supply. He then said that she had to ask her metering company to come and increase the tails from 16.00mm2 to 25.0mm2 before the new P.M.E. earth terminal can be installed and fuses upgraded to 100 Amp.

I was with her today whilst she tried to get through to her metering company. She was on the phone holding on for over two hours before somebody answered..

Z.
3 Replies
Chris Pearson
2495 Posts
Change supplier. It's not exactly difficult.
AJJewsbury
2499 Posts
I thought the DNOs were allowed to work on the metering equipment if their work required it - e.g. if they're re-locating the cut-out, they can move the existing meter at the same time, rather than having to call in the supplier's meter contractor and co-ordinate the two. So I'm a little surprised they can't upgrade the meter tails to suit their change.
   - Andy.
Zoomup
2736 Posts
AJJewsbury:
I thought the DNOs were allowed to work on the metering equipment if their work required it - e.g. if they're re-locating the cut-out, they can move the existing meter at the same time, rather than having to call in the supplier's meter contractor and co-ordinate the two. So I'm a little surprised they can't upgrade the meter tails to suit their change.
   - Andy.

I have never had this trouble before. I used to just request a new P.M.E. earthing terminal via the customer, then appointment was made by the house owner, then U.K.P.N. turned up for 15 minutes......job done. I don't know why the customer has seemed to have caused all of this trouble.

Z.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in