Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
SOMETHING FOR THE WEEKEND?
John Peckham
692 Posts
Sorry Zoom if I am treading on your toes.

What are we going to do this weekend?

JP
49 Replies
mapj1
3421 Posts
🙄

Do we need to run  on-line quiz or bingo for electrical types. 
Idle thoughts..
Perhaps we could invent some more real-world questions to replace the C and G ones.
Old style questions, not multi choice as the style is more fun ..

" Bob wires a 40a shower into the lighting circuit. How long can the customer shower for without the lights going off ? (1 point)
You may assume a BS3036 fuse holder wired with  0.5mm diameter tinned copper and final circuit is 1mm Twin and earth. 

Will Bob have time to cash the check before the 'phone rings to complain ?   ( 1 point for correct answer and 1 point for full workings and reasoned explanation)
You may assume the bank closes at noon on a Saturday and that Bob drives his van at a speed not exceeding  the national speed limit.

Why Bob?
Chris Pearson
2495 Posts
Too early for eating eggs.

Rugby finishes tonight.

It appears that taking the tin snips to the floor of the Mercedes has buggered up the aerodynamics and handling so perhaps they will not win this year. Final answer? Watch the GP. 😁

Meanwhile, if the weather holds, plant my main crop spuds.
Chris Pearson
2495 Posts
Legh Richardson:
Why Bob?

Typo - he meant BOD. 😆

Zoomup
2736 Posts
John Peckham:
Sorry Zoom if I am treading on your toes.

What are we going to do this weekend?

JP

A customer has two overhead supplies to their old domestic premises,  two different phases. The earthing is TT.  A request was made to U.K.P.N. for a new P.M.E. earth terminal.  A U.K.P.N. representative attended and left a form. The discussion with the home owner resulted in the form recommending two 100 Amp supplies. The existing supplies are 60 Amp. 

What resulted after that?

a, Was the P.M.E. earth terminal installed or not? Or was there a problem? If so, specify.

b, Was the metering company involved?

c, Were the meter tails involved in the situation?

Answers on a fiver please to: Highest International PLC, P.O. Box 9990, Bert's Cafe, Gas Works Lane, Milton Keynes, MK12 6RE.

Z.

7.5s
broadgage
611 Posts
1) four electric heaters each of 2.4Kw at 230 volts, are connected to the same ring final circuit. How long will it take for the MCB to trip at an actual supply voltage of 220 volts, and at 250 volts.

2) What is an average loading for a cannabis farm. How many may be connected to the same substation before the DNO notice.

3) Are night lights and electric heaters in a babies room exempted from rota power cuts.

4) Why do the internal lights in a bus still work in a power cut.
perspicacious
568 Posts
Typo - he meant BOD.

You must have seen some of my work then Chris!

Regards

BOD
Solution for the problem of a ship stuck in the Suez Canal.  Brought to you by AncientMariner.

One option is to dump more sand etc into the canal behind the ship. Since there is a only a finite amount of water on the earths surface, this will cause the world's oceans including the Suez Canal, to rise; and the ship will float free.

Clive

perspicacious
568 Posts
One option is to dump more sand etc into the canal behind the ship.

But won't the sea water fill the hole you've dug in the beach to get the sand?!!!!!!

I'll get my coat

Regards

BAD
Good grief its taken at least 2 years to get back to some sort of sensible Friday afternoon/evening conversational intercource.....
John Peckham
692 Posts
Come on my fellow forum members what will you be doing as an ancillary task to another important task. It is not the census as that was last weekend.
Chris Pearson
2495 Posts
Oh yes, the Census.

Concerning Mrs P ...

Last occupation = nurse.

Nature of work = nursing.

Employer = NHS.

Nature of employer = health care.

So we have occupation = electrician.

Nature of work = doing electrics.

Occupation = rugby player.

Nature of work = playing rugby. (Winning if you are Welsh.)

Occupation = Prime Minister.

Nature of work = ooh er, now I am stuck! 😮
Occupation = Prime minister
Nature of work = Listening to a load of puffed-up moronic "advisors" who know little and care even less for the Country, the average citizen, and particularly small business. He has also listened to a bunch of so-called "statisticians" whose figures bear as much relation to real life as Monty Pythons Juniper bush to an Oak tree. He believed a manufacturer of a "test" for the virus, which was used for screening of a population, where its details are hidden and its inventor says is completely unsuitable for the task, as well as setting the threshold of "infection" around 10,000 times too sensitive.🙄

Occupation = Health secretary
Nature of work = Removing around 70 million man-years from the population's enjoyment of life, whilst enforcing rules to make these years as miserable as possible. This has probably killed many more people than any risk of Covid infection to nearly all the population.🙄
wallywombat
432 Posts
davezawadi (David Stone):
This has probably killed many more people than any risk of Covid infection to nearly all the population.🙄

Sigh. Roughly a third of Covid hospital admissions have been people under 65. People admitted to hospital for Covid are those who have a good chance of dying unless given suitable medical treatment. Roughly 2/3rds of those hospitalised recover, chiefly because the oxygen, mechanical ventilation etc keep them alive while their immune system learns to defeat the virus. Obviously the older and more ill patients are the ones who tend to die.

However, if the number of patients increases beyond hospitals' ability to cope, then that all changes. Suddenly all those 40,50,60-something patients who would have survived now start dying in large numbers. So if hospitals are at max capacity and you triple the infection rate, you're going to see something like a 9x an increase in deaths, not 3x.

The lockdowns we've had so far have each just about kept patient rates below the absolute maximum capacity of the NHS.

Oh yes Wally? Are you somewhat confused as to what "hospital admission with Covid" means?  I suggest you actually find out. Do you understand comorbidities and the nature of these on patient outcomes? The number admitted suffering from Covid alone is tiny, and hospitals are always on the brink of overload from about November to March every year. There are at least 50,000 deaths in the pipeline from undiagnosed and untreated other serious (fatal) diseases. You will note that almost no beds have been used in the fantastically expensive Nightingale hospitals, so there are something like 4,000 ventilated ICU beds available at all times. I imagine you watch the BBC propaganda or perhaps read the Guardian. Perhaps you would care to discuss why "lockdowns" do not have much effect but cause the collapse of society? Covid on a death certificate does not mean that, the logical meaning has been changed by LAW! There are 10's of thousands of volunteer people available to assist if necessary, most of these have simply been inundated with irrelevant paperwork and none used. I expect that there are one or two posting here. If your statement were true the average age of the population at death would have lowered significantly, it hasn't, it has moved down by a month or two depending on the "curve" (ONS data). It is still about 83. All those 40-60s you talk about would have had a quite significant effect. Don't forget that around 1600 people die every day on average, even with the Government definition Covid is still about number 23 in cause of death. Cancer, strokes and heart attacks are still way higher in the statistics.
AJJewsbury
2499 Posts
You will note that almost no beds have been used in the fantastically expensive Nightingale hospitals, so there are something like 4,000 ventilated ICU beds available at all times
Wasn't that just a complete cockup - build the beds, but have no skilled staff to do anything with them - so they're completely useless. Typical government wanting to be seen to be doing something. But then it can't really be used as a measure that the normal hospitals weren't overstretched - I'm sure friends on mine working in the NHS or those waiting for postponed treatment would beg to differ.

- Andy.
wallywombat
432 Posts
davezawadi (David Stone):
 All those 40-60s you talk about would have had a quite significant effect.

You seem to have utterly missed the point I was making, which is that those 40-60's aren't dying, but likely would have had we not had a lockdown. Yes of course COVID isn't the #1 death - but only because we had lockdowns!

Chris Pearson
2495 Posts
I heard this week on the BBC (so it must be true) that about 1/4 of the UK population has had Covid. Presumably, if the lockdown and other measures had not been taken, most of us would have had it by now and the hospitalisation and death rates would have been 4 times as high.

Interestingly, there has not been a 'flu' outbreak this winter - possibly due to the lockdown.

What is undeniable at the moment is that we are doing very much better than Europe.
ebee
1150 Posts
In my younger days the term 
"SOMETHING FOR THE WEEKEND?"
was a phrase used when you went to the barbers( aka Hairdresser)  of a Friday and he asked you if you needed 
Zoomup
2736 Posts
ebee:
was a phrase used when you went to the barbers( aka Hairdresser)  of a Friday and he asked you if you needed 

Was that a packet of three sir?

Z.

ebee
1150 Posts
"Do we need to run  on-line quiz or bingo for electrical types. "

Good idea MAPJ1 , lets get Zoomy to start it and we can all chuck some ideas at him too
Sparkingchip
4016 Posts
I have just had my third lockdown haircut by my wife, without the offer of something for the weekend.
ebee
1150 Posts
Electric Scissors sparking, buy her some, it`s only fair
Sparkingchip
4016 Posts
Zoomup:
ebee:

Was that a packet of three sir?

Z.

How often did you have your hair cut?

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in