This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Importance of Ethics and Professionalism in Engineering

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Ethics and Professionalism is a requirement in any profession. Even more so in Engineering, where people's safety and life is often dependent on the engineered products and services that we provide. To provide a product or service, that intentionally mis-matches the customer's expectation or mis-interprets the requirements is indeed dangerous engineering that poses a great risk to life and society.

An example of this happened to me recently, when I purchased a NBN connection from Optus Singtel, who advertised and sold the product to me as an NBN Connection. Lo and behold, when I received the modem, it was only a Wireless Modem and not an NBN Modem. When I called up, the company insisted that it is 5G and should suffice my NBN requirements. In Australia, much funding and resources have been spend to develop NBN which is a wired connection, and to mislead and mis-appropriate the customers requirements, is simply bad and dangerous engineering, not to mention the associate consumer and contract laws that it violates. When I insisted, the company's only resort was to start speaking to me in strong Chinese and Indian accents that became hard to understand! Still no excuse for bad and dangerous engineering...

https://www.optus.com.au/broadband-nbn/home-broadband